Doomsday Preppers

JayStang

Awards
I thought I'd throw this out to the group. This is a reality TV program on NatGeo, on its second season. The thrust of the show is profiling individuals and families who are preparing for catastrophic events. Basically "The End Of The World As We Know It.

What are your thoughts? Are these folks crazy or smart?

Are

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To the extreme that the show showcases is too much for me to ever want to commit to. I do however have a bug out plan and gear for myself and my family. As well, as a group of selected friends and family with Long/Lat coordinates to redevous and a final destination. Everyone has a skill set to offer, is dependable, and absolutely trust with each others lives.

JayStang

Awards
I think the show deliberately portrays some of these folks as extreme.

Although I've seen some of the episodes and some of these individuals are.......unique.

I do think basic preparedness makes a lot of sense. Hurricane Sandy or Katrina are good examples of why people should prepare.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I watch this show mostly for amusement. They focus on extreme people for sure. I love seeing a family that has stockpiled a whole bunker full of food, water, guns, ammo, etc. in some remote location and then the "practical preppers" give them a score of like 58/100. Man, if those people have a 58 then I don't stand a chance. I'd be lucky to get a 5/100 and I like to think I'd be ok during a tornado/hurricane/etc.

mls51112

mls51112

Awards
That's what I'll be doing come spring. I already have a drawing of the underground bunker I'll be having built after I buy a piece of land.

I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

JayStang

Awards
We have extra food and water in the pantry as well. We r looking to assemble some bug-out bags.

We would like to find some land in the country, but its pretty expensive so that is on the back burner.

I saw the news footage of folks during Katrina and Sandy and I really want to avoid being a "refugee". Bad situations and if you don't have any supplies, you end up being helpless, or victims.

mls51112

mls51112

Awards
We have extra food and water in the pantry as well. We r looking to assemble some bug-out bags.

We would like to find some land in the country, but its pretty expensive so that is on the back burner.

I saw the news footage of folks during Katrina and Sandy and I really want to avoid being a "refugee". Bad situations and if you don't have any supplies, you end up being helpless, or victims.
there are tons of sites online that sell pre-made BOB's :]

JayStang

Awards
Thank you. I had seen some of those "pre-assembled" bug out bags. I'm a bit hesitant, because I wonder about the overall quality.

Any recommendations?

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
There's two polar extreme schools of thought on this. I keep some spare propane, gas for the car, and a little bit of extra food, water, and some other basic survival things handy. During a disaster like a hurricane (I live in South Florida), my house is strong enough to withstand a Category 5 and I could survive inside of my house easily for a few weeks without power. If it looks like a direct hit, I'm out of here anyway and can quickly get the family and my supplies in the car and be out of harm's way in a few hours. In a situation like a tornado that pops up quickly, we'd have enough to get by if there was a run on food, gas, and no electricity until things could be restored.

Am I prepping for Doomsday? No way.

mls51112

mls51112

Awards
Thank you. I had seen some of those "pre-assembled" bug out bags. I'm a bit hesitant, because I wonder about the overall quality.

Any recommendations?
not that I can think of off the top of my head.. most have reviews.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
I think the show deliberately portrays some of these folks as extreme.

Although I've seen some of the episodes and some of these individuals are.......unique.

I do think basic preparedness makes a lot of sense. Hurricane Sandy or Katrina are good examples of why people should prepare.
Actually Ive had to reevaluate my whole stance on this doomsday bunker thing, after going through the brunt of Sandy (NJ), having no power for about 10 days, the fuel "shortage" and seeing how quickly things fell apart, Im going to be upgrading my "bunker" supplies.

Just for the record, this is not my first rodeo, I had a reasonable amount of supplies, water, food, batteries, candles, full tank of gas in car before the storm hit, etc.