Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What you guys think?

I'm thinking Subaru. Love them.

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
Sat in the subaru brz and there isn't much space inside. I'm aware that the space is the same as the scion frs though. As far as I know the Subaru brz is slightly more expensive and has more options than the frs. However it's really frustrating how much nicer the Toyota gt 86 is than both of them. Does anyone know why the hell it's not sold in NA? But imo the brz interior is very nice!

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sat in the subaru brz and there isn't much space inside. I'm aware that the space is the same as the scion frs though. As far as I know the Subaru brz is slightly more expensive and has more options than the frs. However it's really frustrating how much nicer the Toyota gt 86 is than both of them. Does anyone know why the hell it's not sold in NA? But imo the brz interior is very nice!
I'm going to look at both this week.

If it has more space then te Acura rsx or te same amount is be happy an content with that

Te frs is about 8k less iirc

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
Funny you mentioned the Acura Rsx, it's one of my all time favs haha. How are you planning to drive in the snow with a rwd btw?

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Funny you mentioned the Acura Rsx, it's one of my all time favs haha. How are you planning to drive in the snow with a rwd btw?
Subarus are all wheel.

I had the svx as my first car. That was front wheel tho

Rsx was front wheel too

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I HAD to read this thread :/

I have an 05 rsx type-s and love it but now I'm online building the brz and seeing if I can afford it...great.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I HAD to read this thread :/

I have an 05 rsx type-s and love it but now I'm online building the brz and seeing if I can afford it...great.
It's not bad if you plan on buying it

Like 8k down and 317 a month for 5 years. Lol

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I would trade in the rsx and probably put down an extra 1,000

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
They are essentially the same car with the Scion being considerably cheaper.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the brx has more stock stuff you can get changed like navy and etc.the frs the front is different and there are some cool body kits out for it. id go with Toyota

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dunno why I was under the impression it was all wheel drive.

I thought that's why Subaru brought it out.

:(
The sub is all wheel. The scion is not. Scion is rear wheel

Going tomorrow to drive both.

mstep

mstep

Awards
  • Established
suby all day, man i miss my wrx. the brz is just awesome, only thing that woulda made it better was if it was a 2.0 turbo but cant complain considering it has one of the lsd's. that thing can drift like a horse runnin on an icey road with a glue truck behind him

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
suby all day, man i miss my wrx. the brz is just awesome, only thing that woulda made it better was if it was a 2.0 turbo but cant complain considering it has one of the lsd's. that thing can drift like a horse runnin on an icey road with a glue truck behind him
and my excitement is back up hahah.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I havent drove a stick shift car in 8 years. Since my ather had the Audi Tt convertible.

I need a refresher lol

mstep

mstep

Awards
  • Established
and my excitement is back up hahah.
i test drove it and for an NA car, it still packs a punch and drifts are just amazing with it. turn the traction control off and ur havin the time of ur life

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
Neither is all wheel drive. I don't know where you're getting your info. I've watched this car since its inception. When I found out they got rid of the AWD on it I immediately lost interest. Subaru actually worked in conjunction with Toyota to produce the Scion. It is built on the same platform and is essentially the same car. I've read multiple comparison/test drive articles that essentially boiled down to the Scion is more stylish and costs considerably less. So you get more bang for your buck with the Scion.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
FRS is cool but the high compression puts a frown on my face

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Neither is all wheel drive. I don't know where you're getting your info. I've watched this car since its inception. When I found out they got rid of the AWD on it I immediately lost interest. Subaru actually worked in conjunction with Toyota to produce the Scion. It is built on the same platform and is essentially the same car. I've read multiple comparison/test drive articles that essentially boiled down to the Scion is more stylish and costs considerably less. So you get more bang for your buck with the Scion.
Looks like I read the carandriver article they said all wheel drive and thy were talking about past cars. You are right. My apologies

Makes me pretty upset.

What's the safety comparison ect.

I can deal w rear wheel. Rather it be all wheel. But I can always look at the wrx

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FRS is cool but the high compression puts a frown on my face
I seriously don't know **** about cars so that's why this thread was born. Idk what you said means anything to me. Lol. It's like spanish

mstep

mstep

Awards
  • Established
i said the same but when i got behind the wheel, subaru did it right with thee rwd. sometimes its time for a little change, look at ferrari's FF, they gave it an all wheel drive and made it a hatchback which drives me crazy(currently my dream car). for a rwd NA car, these are the 2 to choose from in there price range but subaru all day. its unique

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
I haven't test driven one yet, but their AWD is so good that its hard to break from it. I still really like it, and RWD makes sense for it. But for those of us in northern climates that love and depend upon their AWD in the winter RWD puts a little damper on it. I would like to see a winter driving review of its traction control. I know on the Chrysler 300 Car and Driver rated their RWD and traction control ahead of many FWD cars. If their TC is pretty good it's not as big of a deal under fairly normal winter driving conditions.

mstep

mstep

Awards
  • Established
I haven't test driven one yet, but their AWD is so good that its hard to break from it. I still really like it, and RWD makes sense for it. But for those of us in northern climates that love and depend upon their AWD in the winter RWD puts a little damper on it. I would like to see a winter driving review of its traction control. I know on the Chrysler 300 Car and Driver rated their RWD and traction control ahead of many FWD cars. If their TC is pretty good it's not as big of a deal under fairly normal winter driving conditions.
u can always get winter tires, my suby had trash traction in winter and never ended pickin up winter tires. always had to rely on the hand brake (since i didnt have tractional control either) for a turn or i understeer straight into the car in my turning direction. anythin with axles in the front is horrible in the winter unless u got, traction control with winter tires or just winter tires. i hate how people think fwd is so much better than rwd in winter....or anytime of the year. just picked up a mazda proto5 and i kant stand the fwd, im afraid of the winter and sometimes when it rains, gotta pick up some new tires. anyway, its ur decision on which ud choose man as long as ur happy with it

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
u can always get winter tires, my suby had trash traction in winter and never ended pickin up winter tires. always had to rely on the hand brake (since i didnt have tractional control either) for a turn or i understeer straight into the car in my turning direction. anythin with axles in the front is horrible in the winter unless u got, traction control with winter tires or just winter tires. i hate how people think fwd is so much better than rwd in winter....or anytime of the year. just picked up a mazda proto5 and i kant stand the fwd, im afraid of the winter and sometimes when it rains, gotta pick up some new tires. anyway, its ur decision on which ud choose man as long as ur happy with it
I wanna know what's built tougher.

Also since I hardly know anything I can't figure out what's better to have.

Option wise sub comes with more but if they are the exact car just different names I have to figure out what drives better and looks nicer

I has a Subaru svx I loved it

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
Now even though they are essentially the same car, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the suby has better QAQC and build quality. As for snow tires, any car handles better with snow tires in the winter. But in a heads up match between FWD and RWD without traction control I'd have a hard time putting my money on RWD.

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
I was really interesting in getting the scion frs however I don't fit inside. Instead I'm now looking at used evo's and sti's no older then 2008. Does anyone have any advice or experience with any of these cars? Thanks!

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I was really interesting in getting the scion frs however I don't fit inside. Instead I'm now looking at used evo's and sti's no older then 2008. Does anyone have any advice or experience with any of these cars? Thanks!
I've heard expensive repairs.

I'm kinda looking in the same market. I want an sti.

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
I've heard expensive repairs.

I'm kinda looking in the same market. I want an sti.
Yeah the sti has a much nicer interior imo with the red stitching and everything how ever it's not as roomy inside. I was also told that you only get a 6 month warranty when you buy the sti compared to the evo which is much better."salesman at mitsubishi dealership"

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah the sti has a much nicer interior imo with the red stitching and everything how ever it's not as roomy inside. I was also told that you only get a 6 month warranty when you buy the sti compared to the evo which is much better."salesman at mitsubishi dealership"
Slap the salesman that told you that..lol You get the full 3yr/36k bumper to bumper when you buy an STI.. I have owned a half a dozen of these cars. Also owned an EVO.

Both awesome cars. Depending what you are looking to get out of the car, and what you plan to do to/with it, would dictate which I would recommend.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Slap the salesman that told you that..lol You get the full 3yr/36k bumper to bumper when you buy an STI.. I have owned a half a dozen of these cars. Also owned an EVO.

Both awesome cars. Depending what you are looking to get out of the car, and what you plan to do to/with it, would dictate which I would recommend.
daily driver and 'some' fun mostly in the winter...

I found and 05 sti for 15k haha. good shape just high miles

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
daily driver and 'some' fun mostly in the winter...

I found and 05 sti for 15k haha. good shape just high miles
Sti by far is better for daily driving if you don't plan to mod it much.

mstep

mstep

Awards
  • Established
if u go sti, stayay away from 08 unless they had another engine put in under warranty. the 08s had ringland issues since it was the first of the hatches. also the evo's always had better handling stock(subys understeer) but just get some thicker sway bars and problem fixed

Philshred

Philshred

Awards

Haha thanks for the info. I was actually quite shocked when he said that. Sadly enough I have to pick between the two the evo just due to the fact that it's the only one I fit in. Nonetheless I really like the evo even though the interior is a bit bland but I won't mind making some changes to improve it :)

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Haha thanks for the info. I was actually quite shocked when he said that. Sadly enough I have to pick between the two the evo just due to the fact that it's the only one I fit in. Nonetheless I really like the evo even though the interior is a bit bland but I won't mind making some changes to improve it :)
Evo's are awesome cars man.

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
if u go sti, stayay away from 08 unless they had another engine put in under warranty. the 08s had ringland issues since it was the first of the hatches. also the evo's always had better handling stock(subys understeer) but just get some thicker sway bars and problem fixed
Hey thanks for letting me know! So far the Evo i my number 1 pick :) Its been one of my favs for a very long time. I blame The Fast and the Furious haha

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i prefer the sti over the evo for a number of reasons.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey thanks for letting me know! So far the Evo i my number 1 pick :) Its been one of my favs for a very long time. I blame The Fast and the Furious haha
Are you planning on getting an X, or 8/9?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Would be interested to hear your thoughts big guy!
well for simpler reasons the market where im at doesnt favor evo's, huge resale cost for extremely high miles, also every one i knew that owned one had problems occur when launching even at low rpm's. lastly i think its completely over rated but thats just my personal opinion. im more of toyota and bmw guy these days.

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
Are you planning on getting an X, or 8/9?
Planning on an x. My price range is around 30k and with that I can find an mr in very good condition with no more then 35,000km :) Im scouting atm for one with no mods and color wise blue or silver.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Planning on an x. My price range is around 30k and with that I can find an mr in very good condition with no more then 35,000km :) Im scouting atm for one with no mods and color wise blue or silver.
Boo to the MR..haha

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
well for simpler reasons the market where im at doesnt favor evo's, huge resale cost for extremely high miles, also every one i knew that owned one had problems occur when launching even at low rpm's. lastly i think its completely over rated but thats just my personal opinion. im more of toyota and bmw guy these days.
You mentioned a good point that it's crucial to purchase a vehicle favored in your area (market) I wouldn't buy the evo if I knew the customer service was crap in my area. Do you know what exactly was the problem when launching and if it was covered by the warranty? Thx

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i have read and heard of numerous gearbox problems but cant answer the warranty question. browse the evo forums for a bit.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Haha is that due to the slower 0-60? Because from what I understand it's faster on a track.
only if you over night parts from japan and have a motec systems exhaust