hvactech

Legend
Awards
Yep, thats my thoughts

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
After George Bush won in '04, 11 states petition to leave. It is actually quite common after elections. Since how easy and free it is to make a petition and how easy it is for other people to find it.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After George Bush won in '04, 11 states petition to leave. It is actually quite common after elections. Since how easy and free it is to make a petition and how easy it is for other people to find it.
The Obama administration actually set up a website (wethepeople.gov I believe) to make it easier for people to file official petitions to the federal government online.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Apparently Texas reached the threshold of petitions and its washingtons turn to issue a reply. Which will obviously be no.. Idc what you think about the gov but were still the best goddamn country out there.

There's a petition to make those who signed deported. I may go sign it

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Apparently Texas reached the threshold of petitions and its washingtons turn to issue a reply. Which will obviously be no.. Idc what you think about the gov but were still the best goddamn country out there.

I think once they get 25k signatures it gets a response.

I love this country, flaws and all. All the people who want to ceseed should be given some land and then we should issue a strict trade embargo against them and put up a huge fence so they can't come crawling back.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
awsome thread. i dont get why all these cry babies are petitioning to leave the country. wtf would they do if they got cut from the money flow?

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
awsome thread. i dont get why all these cry babies are petitioning to leave the country. wtf would they do if they got cut from the money flow?
Lol

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards

I love this country, flaws and all. All the people who want to ceseed should be given some land and then we should issue a strict trade embargo against them and put up a huge fence so they can't come crawling back.
Agreed man. Something this country has seemed to forget with all the candidate bashing and voting **** lately, is that this country is one of the best in the world. You can do anything you want with enough hard work, I mean for Christ sake we have so much food that over 60 percent of Americans are obese. We have out ups and downs but I'm proud to be an American through and through.

JayStang

Awards
Tough situation. I think it's a way for a lot of folks to vent their frustrations on both sides.

I live in Texas and a lot of folks (myself included) don't like the way the federal government is run. Specifically the amount of debt that is being run up. It doesn't matter which party is in power, although BO has set records on how fast he can spend money. 6 trillion in 4 years!!

So the view from Texas is that we are a state with a budget surplus. Low unemployment and enough guns to defend the state easily. Our own power grid. We are an oil producing state and we have a large coastline. Could this state secede and stand on its own....yes. Will it? Of course not, because we are a stronger state when we are joined with the other 49 states.

I do think there will be a huge outcry when states like IL and CA go begging to the federal government to bail them out. That will be really ugly. These states will have to do that eventually because they are so far in debt that they'll have no choice. IMO

Just my 2cents.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well interestingly enough the state of Texas is currently the 15th largest economy in the world. Also if you actually read the petition it brings up some valid points in relation to our bill of rights being trampled upon by a federal government that is larger than it was ever supposed to be. (NDAA, Patriot act etc.)

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also I believe it's closer to 40 now.
There are active petitions in all 50, i believe. It's all symbolic though, no state will ever be allowed to leave the union.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Lol on trade embargo and huge fence.

We can't even do that against illegal immigrants, yet going to do it to previous citizens?

This is obviously a statement being made to washington more than a real request.

Regardless... maybe we can just do what the last president did to the states wishing to become their own independent union and kill them all.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What money flow? You mean the money flowing out of my pocket?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed man. Something this country has seemed to forget with all the candidate bashing and voting **** lately, is that this country is one of the best in the world. You can do anything you want with enough hard work, I mean for Christ sake we have so much food that over 60 percent of Americans are obese. We have out ups and downs but I'm proud to be an American through and through.
Yes it is the best country in the world.. but our path is not headed toward a viable future. Hard work is no guarantee anymore in the US for a thriving life... now it is more of the people you know.

I personally am not okay with 50% of my taxes going to the government next year as is projected.

And there are petitions from all 50 states now.. but Texas has a huge number.. but they were their own nation well before joining the US.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tough situation. I think it's a way for a lot of folks to vent their frustrations on both sides.

I live in Texas and a lot of folks (myself included) don't like the way the federal government is run. Specifically the amount of debt that is being run up. It doesn't matter which party is in power, although BO has set records on how fast he can spend money. 6 trillion in 4 years!!

So the view from Texas is that we are a state with a budget surplus. Low unemployment and enough guns to defend the state easily. Our own power grid. We are an oil producing state and we have a large coastline. Could this state secede and stand on its own....yes. Will it? Of course not, because we are a stronger state when we are joined with the other 49 states.

I do think there will be a huge outcry when states like IL and CA go begging to the federal government to bail them out. That will be really ugly. These states will have to do that eventually because they are so far in debt that they'll have no choice. IMO

Just my 2cents.
This!

This is the reason texas is on the forefront.. because they arent a welfare state. They still put in daily hardwork to earn their keeps and do little to suck on the government tiet.

Again, Texas thrived well before joining the union.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are active petitions in all 50, i believe. It's all symbolic though, no state will ever be allowed to leave the union.
Not without quite a bit of death, as seen in our past.

Wanna leave? Here, have a bullet.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe we will be like Europe and be all individual countries lol

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They arent even individual countries.. most are part of the EU... right around the same time as economic woes started.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The N.A.U. (North American Union)? Sounds interesting. I wonder what all of the heavy welfare states (Alabama, Mississippi, Louisianna, etc...) would do. They'd end up being 3rd world countries ruled by warlords.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The N.A.U. (North American Union)? Sounds interesting. I wonder what all of the heavy welfare states (Alabama, Mississippi, Louisianna, etc...) would do. They'd end up being 3rd world countries ruled by warlords.
Why do you believe those are welfare states? Those are actually farthest from it... your largest welfare states are states like Cali and New York.

That thinking that the south are all welfare states is a red herring, due to personal stereotypes placed on southern people.

I even posted this up in the Obamney thread. Find distinct correlations between who voted for whom.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/politics/210033-obamney-2012-barack-21.html#post3703947

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Somewhere, be it 50 years or hundreds of years from now, that's the future of the U.S.

The only alternative futures for the U.S. is to look something like Spain (in terms of decentralized democracy, not talking about its financial structure), or for all individuals within the country to be grey, neurotic, cultureless, consumerist drones.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why do you believe those are welfare states? Those are actually farthest from it... your largest welfare states are states like Cali and New York.

That thinking that the south are all welfare states is a red herring, due to personal stereotypes placed on southern people.

I even posted this up in the Obamney thread. Find distinct correlations between who voted for whom.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/politics/210033-obamney-2012-barack-21.html#post3703947
Largest percentage of population in poverty lowest percentage of population with college education. NY and CA have more people on services only because they are higher population states. I'll post references later

JayStang

Awards
CA and NY are hardly examples of well run states. It's great that they have large percentages of individuals with degrees. So why can't they balance their budgets? Why are they so far in debt and have some if the highest tax rates in the nation? Poverty can be misleading as a statistic and its difficult at best to compare southern and northern states.

Yayy we have lots of people with degrees and we have a great welfare state......but we are broke and people who pay taxes are voting with their feet and moving.

That's a good situation? How is that an example anyone would want to use?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Largest percentage of population in poverty lowest percentage of population with college education. NY and CA have more people on services only because they are higher population states. I'll post references later
You are trying to spin things. Regardless of population, why then with all that education does NY an CA have some of the largest deficits?

Degree's mean nothing to a states economy, especially when a southern states professions are that of our food supply.

Southern states make their living by hard work rather than on wall street betting on your mortgage.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
#1 poorest: Mississippi 20.1% 571,000 people
#2: Louisiana 18.3% 748,000 people
#4: Alabama 16.7% 750,000 people
#12: New York 14.5% 2,760,000 people
#15: California 13.2% 4,716,000 people

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You are trying to spin things. Regardless of population, why then with all that education does NY an CA have some of the largest deficits?

Degree's mean nothing to a states economy, especially when a southern states professions are that of our food supply.

Southern states make their living by hard work rather than on wall street betting on your mortgage.
I too value hard work over made up money, but that's unfortunately not how the world works anymore. Deficits will always be larger with a larger population. Many states have a balanced budget law that mandates that a state's budget be balanced so it's impossible for them to run a deficit even if they wanted to. This many times creates a huge gap in services when the money runs out. Roads dont get repaired, etc...

All I'm saying is that all of our states contribute to the whole in many different ways, but not very many of our states would survive well if left to their own devices.

Oh, and degrees have a lot to do with the economy. Without educated people there's very little invention, innovation and ground breaking entrepreneurship.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
#1 poorest: Mississippi 20.1% 571,000 people
#2: Louisiana 18.3% 748,000 people
#4: Alabama 16.7% 750,000 people
#12: New York 14.5% 2,760,000 people
#15: California 13.2% 4,716,000 people
Again, you are spinning numbers. You are posting the old way of determining poverty based solely on the poverty line. Working at McDs 1 night a week in Cali will put you above the poverty line due to cost of living. In fact, adjusted poverty shows Cali is the down right poorest state.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/11/california_is_americas_poorest_state_census_poverty.php

#1 Cali
#2 DC
#3 Florida
#4 Georgia
#5 New York

http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/p60-244.pdf

Someone in Cali making 25K is pretty damn poor, but in Louisiana, you can live a pretty descent median lifestyle. Again, these states are known for living within their means and not on credit.. such as wall street. (Generalized Opinion)

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I too value hard work over made up money, but that's unfortunately not how the world works anymore. Deficits will always be larger with a larger population. Many states have a balanced budget law that mandates that a state's budget be balanced so it's impossible for them to run a deficit even if they wanted to. This many times creates a huge gap in services when the money runs out. Roads dont get repaired, etc...

All I'm saying is that all of our states contribute to the whole in many different ways, but not very many of our states would survive well if left to their own devices.

Oh, and degrees have a lot to do with the economy. Without educated people there's very little invention, innovation and ground breaking entrepreneurship.
That is the trouble with American thinking now. We find deficits okay. Why? I wouldn't run a deficit in my own house.. so why pay into a government that can't keep their **** straight?

If invention and innovations means 1T+ deficits, then you can keep em.

Left to their own devices, the only states that wouldn't make it in today's world is the utmost northern... only because they no longer have the land to produce food with.. that is the southern states primary economy force.

It was the people with degree's that knew better than the common working man that the Community Reinvestment Act was good for us... see where that got us? And the Wall street people with degree's who bet on the CRA failing miserably... yet another step in the right direction. We got away from hard work, and now people feel to high and mighty to get their hands dirty. (Oh, and yes I have and advanced degree :) )

I am not for the states leaving the union.. but they do have the right to make their voice heard that the direction of the this country is not on a sustainable course, and given the electoral college landscape, only two real states control elections.. of which are the biggest drain on our national economy and produce the most national debt.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is the trouble with American thinking now. We find deficits okay. Why? I wouldn't run a deficit in my own house.. so why pay into a government that can't keep their **** straight?

If invention and innovations means 1T+ deficits, then you can keep em.

Left to their own devices, the only states that wouldn't make it in today's world is the utmost northern... only because they no longer have the land to produce food with.. that is the southern states primary economy force.

It was the people with degree's that knew better than the common working man that the Community Reinvestment Act was good for us... see where that got us? And the Wall street people with degree's who bet on the CRA failing miserably... yet another step in the right direction. We got away from hard work, and now people feel to high and mighty to get their hands dirty. (Oh, and yes I have and advanced degree :) )

I am not for the states leaving the union.. but they do have the right to make their voice heard that the direction of the this country is not on a sustainable course, and given the electoral college landscape, only two real states control elections.. of which are the biggest drain on our national economy and produce the most national debt.
There are all kinds of ways to spin numbers. Lol. I'll take your point on that.

Id be interested to see how the southern states would do without ag subsidies. Probably not too well. American grown food would be just about unaffordable.

I'm glad to see we can differ in opinion without getting personal. Not too many people can debate without hating the other person.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Id be interested to see how the southern states would do without ag subsidies. Probably not too well. American grown food would be just about unaffordable.

I'm glad to see we can differ in opinion without getting personal. Not too many people can debate without hating the other person.
Yeah.. people tend to get bent out of shape with differing opinions.

The AG subsidies are a problem as well. That is Gov. stepping in and controlling what someone grows to "benefit" the US rather than letting the free market decide, and price point all crops. It was one of the reasons for swift inflation in the past, especially on food. Now ethanol is pretty much required in all gas blends, which has shot up food prices associated with corn astronomically... my G' Damn tortilla chips are getting spendy! :)

As a libertarian, to me we have just allowed too much encroachment into our daily lives, allowing people who are so far separated from the common man to dictate down to us what is good for us and our family's. This is easily visible by congress exempting themselves out of Obamacare as well as the unions that bought them into office.

Dammit, if I want to buy a 32oz diet coke.... best damn well be able to. Not to single out NY... just they have the most liberal laws on the books. Including the new ones that you cannot donate food to the homeless since NY Heath Agency can't regulate the fat and salt intake of homeless from donated food (Bloomberg is taking it way to far). (Just a vent about to much government intervention)

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah.. people tend to get bent out of shape with differing opinions.

The AG subsidies are a problem as well. That is Gov. stepping in and controlling what someone grows to "benefit" the US rather than letting the free market decide, and price point all crops. It was one of the reasons for swift inflation in the past, especially on food. Now ethanol is pretty much required in all gas blends, which has shot up food prices associated with corn astronomically... my G' Damn tortilla chips are getting spendy! :)

As a libertarian, to me we have just allowed too much encroachment into our daily lives, allowing people who are so far separated from the common man to dictate down to us what is good for us and our family's. This is easily visible by congress exempting themselves out of Obamacare as well as the unions that bought them into office.

Dammit, if I want to buy a 32oz diet coke.... best damn well be able to. Not to single out NY... just they have the most liberal laws on the books. Including the new ones that you cannot donate food to the homeless since NY Heath Agency can't regulate the fat and salt intake of homeless from donated food (Bloomberg is taking it way to far). (Just a vent about to much government intervention)
Bloomberg has definitely stepped it up recently. If all the fatasses drinking 64oz cokes and eating 40 big macs while doing nothing but sitting on the couch didn't cost the rest of us so much money when we have to pay for them to be surgically removed from their seat and crane lifted out of their apartment and into the emergency room which they can't afford to pay for then I'd be all for letting Darwinism do it's thing. I don't know man, our society is so fuked up I'm not even sure what to do at this point to even begin to repair it.

What I've always said and will continue to say, democrat, republican, libertarian, whatever, nothing will ever get any better if we don't ALL do the best we can as often as we can to make our own lives and the lives of those around us better every day. Until every single person in this country lives by that, nothing's going to get better

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes it is the best country in the world.. but our path is not headed toward a viable future. Hard work is no guarantee anymore in the US for a thriving life... now it is more of the people you know.

I personally am not okay with 50% of my taxes going to the government next year as is projected.

And there are petitions from all 50 states now.. but Texas has a huge number.. but they were their own nation well before joining the US.
My understanding of this, being from Texas, is that because the land does not belong to the United States and Texas joined the Union as a sovereign state it is capable of seceding since the federal government does not actually own the land.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My understanding of this, being from Texas, is that because the land does not belong to the United States and Texas joined the Union as a sovereign state it is capable of seceding since the federal government does not actually own the land.
That was the implication. Texas was completely sovereign (As was Hawaii) prior to entering the union in 1845. The US Constitution does not dictate the validity of seceding one way or the other.. but the Texas constitution does state "the people have the right to alter their government in such manner as they might think proper." While the US Constitution doesn't enumerate seceding, the Texas constitutions states Texas will bend to the will of Texans, and not the will of the Federal Government. If that movement ever took hold, it would be up to the commander in chief if he would allow this to be peaceful or bloody. History shows us a President isn't against killing their own people to "preserve the union".

Fed's don't really own state land (They do have some).. but really the state is owned by the people of said state. The state is bound by the agreement to enter the US essentially. Ironically the states own the fed.. due to the 10 amendment... but it seems to have grown the other way around.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Texas has produced the finest politician to date:

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Texas has produced the finest politician to date:

Not sure I'd consider him a politician. He's too -no bullsh!t- to be called a politician

TexasGuy

Awards

I know this is an old post but FTR most native Texans have desired independence for generations, regardless of who is in the white house. Obama may have sparked the petition in question but he wasn't the root of Texas' enthusiasm for the idea. We still celebrate Texas Independence Day, have a "national" beer, associate with the lone star ideology et cetera.

And on a more serious note, an economic analysis has shown that as an independent nation we would be the 11th wealthiest, much higher up than the US as a whole, especially with our resources out of the equation. International shipping ports, OPEC oil numbers, farming and agriculture, multiple universities et cetera. Most of us don't agree with current politics and the direction they are taking us at the federal level and would love to "take our ball and go home".

The ****ed up thing is that people are running en masse from home states with failed economies to ours where the job, housing, retail et cetera markets are strong, but instead of accepting our obviously superior policies and ideologies, they bring their failed bull**** to us and try to apply political pressure here to bring about socio-economic changes they are used too. Then when they encounter significant resistence they bash Texas as backwards while reaping the benefits of Texas their familiar ideologies can't produce.

Step in line or let us go!

TexasGuy

Awards

Texas is a southern state with a large population. We are doing much better than California, New York, Illinois and Michigan. Why don't we suffer this universal, large population problem?

TexasGuy

Awards

It wouldn't be American grown food if the state had seceded. And ag heavy states wouldn't be bread basketing non or weak contributors. As stand alone nations, most of us down here can take care of our own without inflation and still have a surplus of everything from oil to cattle and cotton to sell to you for profit, except you couldn't afford it because our revenue would no longer be taxable by the U.S. so we would give you micro loans and make you modern day Iraq's and yesteryear Venezuela's instead of breaking our backs to brace yours through federal subsidies and entitlement programs like we do now.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I know this is an old post but FTR most native Texans have desired independence for generations, regardless of who is in the white house. Obama may have sparked the petition in question but he wasn't the root of Texas' enthusiasm for the idea. We still celebrate Texas Independence Day, have a "national" beer, associate with the lone star ideology et cetera.

And on a more serious note, an economic analysis has shown that as an independent nation we would be the 11th wealthiest, much higher up than the US as a whole, especially with our resources out of the equation. International shipping ports, OPEC oil numbers, farming and agriculture, multiple universities et cetera. Most of us don't agree with current politics and the direction they are taking us at the federal level and would love to "take our ball and go home".

The ****ed up thing is that people are running en masse from home states with failed economies to ours where the job, housing, retail et cetera markets are strong, but instead of accepting our obviously superior policies and ideologies, they bring their failed bull**** to us and try to apply political pressure here to bring about socio-economic changes they are used too. Then when they encounter significant resistence they bash Texas as backwards while reaping the benefits of Texas their familiar ideologies can't produce.

Step in line or let us go!
you guys wouldnt last a year with out the us government, just the fact that your a border state to mexico would make this a huge problem.

TexasGuy

Awards
you guys wouldnt last a year with out the us government, just the fact that your a border state to mexico would make this a huge problem.
Except the US govt is the border control hold up. We have absolutely every facet of infrastructure necessary to stand alone and the resources to do it debt free while accumulating powerful allies and playing others out on trade deficits.

MIGUEL1J

MIGUEL1J

Awards
The fact that our country has become such a f***ed up socialist state kills me every day. My take on this is put all the politicians on minimum wage and take all their benefits. Eliminate welfare , food stamps and all the "support the lazy" program.

Our country needs to stop taxing the F**k out of us to give our money to a high school drop out or worst an illegal.

Trash me all you want for my views but I have lived out side of the USA in country were the government does not support laziness, guess what their taxes are lower and their government does not impose on their rights. Don't get me wrong I love my country, but I hate they way it runs and every day it gets worse.

I would love for just one state to leave the union and implement the gold standard just to see if people will wake up.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Except the US govt is the border control hold up. We have absolutely every facet of infrastructure necessary to stand alone and the resources to do it debt free while accumulating powerful allies and playing others out on trade deficits.
I would bet that isn't true. There is so much you haven't even thought of it isn't funny.

TexasGuy

Awards
http://www.examiner.com/article/could-an-independent-texas-survive-economically-the-facts-say-yes
No common sense wins, nhttp://www.examiner.com/article/could-an-independent-texas-survive-economically-the-facts-say-yest me.
Unfortunately we will never know who actually wins. From an economic stand point, http://www.examiner.com/article/could-an-independent-texas-survive-economically-the-facts-say-yes we could certainly pull it off. Militarily we wouldn't be the smallest army in the world and we are certainly armed. The US slapping an embargo on us is bull****. Our balls would be sucked harder than Saudi Arabias. We own not only huge oil reserves but nearly the entire refinery system for the US. Some of the most prominent defense contractors are located here and we are home to more fortune 500 hq's than any other state thanks to favorable tax environments, giving us leverage to pull the trade strings.

Sure there are plenty of variables but it wouldn't be the first time a new and resource rich nation formed and flourished against establishment odds.

This article is not a conclusive secession success plan by any means but makes some interesting discussion points from an economic perspective: well my phone is forcing the link in to the text.

MightyBeast

MightyBeast

Awards
The fact that our country has become such a f***ed up socialist state kills me every day. My take on this is put all the politicians on minimum wage and take all their benefits. Eliminate welfare , food stamps and all the "support the lazy" program.

Our country needs to stop taxing the F**k out of us to give our money to a high school drop out or worst an illegal.

Trash me all you want for my views but I have lived out side of the USA in country were the government does not support laziness, guess what their taxes are lower and their government does not impose on their rights. Don't get me wrong I love my country, but I hate they way it runs and every day it gets worse.

I would love for just one state to leave the union and implement the gold standard just to see if people will wake up.
Yea I just met an illegal who got back $9,000 in income tax. Now how is that. And Texas guy i like how you think.