need a new gym in southwest houston!!

misterj

Awards
Just moved to the Katy/Richmond Tx area and need a new gym. Anybody out there from this area? Don't need a bunch of extra crap, just free weights.

TexasGuy

Awards
Just moved to the Katy/Richmond Tx area and need a new gym. Anybody out there from this area? Don't need a bunch of extra crap, just free weights.
I grew up in Katy but that was before it stretched like one thousand miles from Richmond to Navasota basically. Where more specifically?

There used to be an Excel Gym on Mason near 10 with competitions, leader boards et cetera in the back. The front was a commercial gym, not sure if still there.

I've found the Houston LA Fitness facilities are decent. Usually multiple racks and cages, they allow Olympic lifts and if you clean up generally chalk is fine. Plus yoga pantsed asses galore.

misterj

Awards
I grew up in Katy but that was before it stretched like one thousand miles from Richmond to Navasota basically. Where more specifically?

I live right off of 99 as far north in Richmond as you can get. Maybe a mile S of Westpark tollway. I basically live in Katy with a Richmond address. I'll look into Excel gym. I ended up going to the 24 hr fitness. It was the most convenient location/price, but Not much eye candy, only one rack, one cage... maybe i'll take a look at LA.. Metroflex sounds cool, but its farther than I want to drive. Thanks, man.

misterj

Awards
yep. i checked it a while ago. Most of the gyms are either out of business, or too far away from me. Houston is a huge city. The closest one is metroflex, which I am going to visit, but it seems a little farther than I'd like to drive.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yep. i checked it a while ago. Most of the gyms are either out of business, or too far away from me. Houston is a huge city. The closest one is metroflex, which I am going to visit, but it seems a little farther than I'd like to drive.
I didn't know how many were still around.

It's been a couple years since I moved from the Houston area.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Planet Fitness..

misterj

Awards
my wife likes that place, I can't say I'm a fan... thanks, tho..

TexasGuy

Awards

I live right off of 99 as far north in Richmond as you can get. Maybe a mile S of Westpark tollway. I basically live in Katy with a Richmond address. I'll look into Excel gym. I ended up going to the 24 hr fitness. It was the most convenient location/price, but Not much eye candy, only one rack, one cage... maybe i'll take a look at LA.. Metroflex sounds cool, but its farther than I want to drive. Thanks, man.
I'm not too familiar. The oldest sections of Cinco Ranch were brand new when I was in high school. Off the cuff, I'd vote for LA Fitness out there if you have one. My only complaint is they use the funky octagonal plates and I get weird during deadlifts if they are aren't perfectly lined up. If Excel is still around, it will be a drive for you.

Metro is definitely a hard core gym with motivational people around but with few exceptions you can perform the same lifts in LA Fitness in my experience.

misterj

Awards
cool, thanks man. Yeah, 24 hr has the octagon plates. I friggin hate them. I was having the same complaint with deads. it's driving me nuts. also, the only bar for chins is'nt a knurled bar. it's so smooth that you just slip right off. it's killing me right now. whoever designed them has never done a pull up ever. straps slip off too. ugh. I loved my gym in ohio.