Being a modern day Nomad

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For a little info, ive live in 5 states (7 cities) over the past 7 years. All has been because of school, sports or work (why else would you move :think:) In this time I have obtained my BA and havent really had too much trouble finding work (knock on wood and its not in my BA field).

Aside from where I live now (not really a fan but moving in about 4 months lol) I've enjoyed every city and what is has to offer. I also like exploring new places and what it has. I am single with no kids so its easy for me to do.

I'd eventually like to expand my living internationally, i'm planning on visiting Europe for a month next summer. However, for now cities like Dallas, Seattle, New York, Boston, Chicago & San Diego (maybe San Fran) are a top my list. I will be finishing my secondary education license next year so, as long as there are teaching spots I should be good to go.

Is this a phase since im in my id 20's? Ive always wanted to settle down and have a family but the more I move around and see whats out there, not real sure on it anymore. I've learned, listening to elders advice is usually the best way to go, interested on what some of you guys have to say about being a modern day nomad....

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
Do you find you're able to forge strong relationships (friendships or relationships) as opposed to just acquaintances when you spend so little time in each spot? I moved around every 2 years growing up and hated it, but it's a bit different when you're in your mid-20's I guess. I have to move again in less than 2 years after living here for 3 1/2 (longest I've ever lived anywhere) and I'm honestly dreading it. I don't want to start over again.

Maybe it is a phase and you'll get tired of all the relationship abandonment and the overwhelming feeling of wondering why you're even trying to get to know people when you're just gonna remove yourself from their lives anyways..

Though living a nomadic lifestyle is a great way to broaden your horizons and become very good at befriending and relating to people that are different than yourself. It becomes a necessity, whereas people who never move and have always had the same friends don't often find a real reason to use those skills.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nope not at all, I have great relationships with people from everywhere I have been. I still talk with them monthly, if not weekly.

Most also aren't married with kids, although some are. I know this will probably change as most of them become married as some are and we talk less, but still do none the less.

In fact, when a number of my friends come out west they get in touch to see how close I am. Usually, it's several hours. So from a relationship standpoint, nope, no real issues there.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you like what you are doing then keep doing it. Life is an adventure. Some say marriage and a family are part of that adventure others don't. If you are of the latter, then keep doing what you are doing and enjoy everything that is out there. You have no barriers and the freedom to do what you want. The only repercussions of any decision you make is brought forth upon you and you alone. It's a good way to live.

Invycktus

Invycktus

Awards
  • Established
Great thread DW, I was actually thinking about this the other week while trolling at Regan National Airport (DC). My stance may sound misanthropic on this.

I have lived in 9 Cities in 8 years since I graduated from Princeton, the longest I ever stayed in a city is probably 15 months - Denver. When most of my classmates jumped on Financial Shops @ Wallstreet, I took up consulting since I had no family and it has changed the way I approached life.

My job requires me to be near a major airport and that is it. However I find myself moving every 12-14 months since I get bored of the city very quickly or the airport queues become to annoying (Chicago and Atlanta) . I am 29 now and as I grow older each week, my weariness shows and I find myself questioning objectives of life or what I set out to do.

The most dreadful part of my week, is sometimes when the Flight Attendant announces,
have begun our initial descent into the Memphis area
This is when I start thinking how different my life is, the friends are all married or engaged and how I am pretty much drawn into a never ending journey to nowhere. Not that I hate my job, I would absolutely choose this, if I could not study medicine. I love what I do, and sadly what I do is now who I am, not part of who I am.

There is this walk I make every week when I deplane at Memphis, and walk to the Taxi stand and week-in week-out I see loved ones greet their beloved at the airport and on one side of the sidewalk there is a shadow dragging a roller board bag toward the taxi stand, on his own.

Sometimes this just gets to me and no amount of anti depressants can fix this.

Just ensure you never get drawn into questioning the "Why this life" and you would be set with travelling. Everytime I hit this phase, I pretty much sulk more.

Feck knows what I am on about in this post.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Invy,

I wonder if its just bc we haven't found a place we love yet? My friends that are married/engaged say they love it but still have a list on complaints about where they're at and what they can/can't do.

I can do (within reason) anything I want at anytime like pick up and head to LA or fly to San Diego on a whim.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DW, I thought you were married and had a kid. Years ago you posted about your son eating healthy. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/70713-my-kids-nutrition.html

What's up with that bro?
Complicated but nope, not with her anymore. Kid wasn't technically mine I was just raising him. We had been together since he was about 8 months old?

She left me though, couldn't handle me being away with baseball & school. O'well I'm just living the dream now. What's irritating is her and my mom are like friggen best friends now & talk all the daggum time!

It's in one of my logs, I got home one day and found out she had been hiding recruiting calls from me while I wasn't home, found out and of course I was upset then got home one day as the phone rang (another school calling) and she said she didn't wanna be with me anymore if I couldn't stay there. Depressing....

Invycktus

Invycktus

Awards
  • Established
I hear you DW, the missus has been nagging me about my travel every week for this year. Each time this bunch of 31-32 year old couples have a picnic or some group therapy retreat, I get into the doghouse, for not being there, is this how you will be when we have kids.

Sometimes....I just.... :nutkick:

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
What cities have you visited thus far?
What type of career do you have?

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For a little info, ive live in 5 states (7 cities) over the past 7 years. All has been because of school, sports or work (why else would you move :think:) In this time I have obtained my BA and havent really had too much trouble finding work (knock on wood and its not in my BA field).

Aside from where I live now (not really a fan but moving in about 4 months lol) I've enjoyed every city and what is has to offer. I also like exploring new places and what it has. I am single with no kids so its easy for me to do.

I'd eventually like to expand my living internationally, i'm planning on visiting Europe for a month next summer. However, for now cities like Dallas, Seattle, New York, Boston, Chicago & San Diego (maybe San Fran) are a top my list. I will be finishing my secondary education license next year so, as long as there are teaching spots I should be good to go.

Is this a phase since im in my id 20's? Ive always wanted to settle down and have a family but the more I move around and see whats out there, not real sure on it anymore. I've learned, listening to elders advice is usually the best way to go, interested on what some of you guys have to say about being a modern day nomad....
When its time for you to stop and settle down you'll feel it.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Complicated but nope, not with her anymore. Kid wasn't technically mine I was just raising him. We had been together since he was about 8 months old?

She left me though, couldn't handle me being away with baseball & school. O'well I'm just living the dream now. What's irritating is her and my mom are like friggen best friends now & talk all the daggum time!

It's in one of my logs, I got home one day and found out she had been hiding recruiting calls from me while I wasn't home, found out and of course I was upset then got home one day as the phone rang (another school calling) and she said she didn't wanna be with me anymore if I couldn't stay there. Depressing....
Damn. That is awfully crappy. Sorry if I brought up a sore subject but I can't help but ask when previously you stated you had a wife and kids lol.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn. That is awfully crappy. Sorry if I brought up a sore subject but I can't help but ask when previously you stated you had a wife and kids lol.
Lol nah brother it's cool, I've made peace with it. No worries.

Funny it'll be 4 years next Friday from when we initially split. Kind of ironic it was brought up. Crazy crazy!!!

I've lived in Detroit, Lansing, Cleveland, Fresno, Ft. Wayne, Tri-Cities & both Chicago & Nashville very briefly (like 6 weeks) made 2-4 week stops at a lot more though

I'm a manager at a machine shop, not really my career. I'll be fishing up my teaching licensure here soon. I have a bachelors in History/PoliSci and worked/work in the supplement industry :)

Pretty free reign.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

Funny it'll be 4 years next Friday from when we initially split. Kind of ironic it was brought up. Crazy crazy!!!

I've lived in Detroit, Lansing, Cleveland, Fresno, Ft. Wayne, Tri-Cities & both Chicago & Nashville very briefly (like 6 weeks) made 2-4 week stops at a lot more though

I'm a manager at a machine shop, not really my career. I'll be fishing up my teaching licensure here soon. I have a bachelors in History/PoliSci and worked/work in the supplement industry :)

Pretty free reign.
Where in Cleveland, that's where I'm from. :D

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Pretty free reign.
You know I've started seeing this style of living more and more lately. Even I have taken part. I have moved around a lot (ironically to a lot of the same places as you). I moved to Detroit for 8 months to work with LG Sciences. I believe you even did a photoshoot with us at some point. After that moved to Orlando, FL. 1 year after that I am in Franklin, NC. 1 year after that, we are moving further north lol.

I think the lifestyle itself is just addicting but it's definitely maintainable with a family.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You know I've started seeing this style of living more and more lately. Even I have taken part. I have moved around a lot (ironically to a lot of the same places as you). I moved to Detroit for 8 months to work with LG Sciences. I believe you even did a photoshoot with us at some point. After that moved to Orlando, FL. 1 year after that I am in Franklin, NC. 1 year after that, we are moving further north lol.

I think the lifestyle itself is just addicting but it's definitely maintainable with a family.
Yeah you were in MI same time as Irish Cannon Right?i think we were supposed to all do something when I was home but you weren't around actually haha.

Yeah it's a 19ur old DW in all the Trifecta Stack kits ;-) lol

And yeah, I think it is addicting....

Where in Cleveland, that's where I'm from. :D
I think it was technically south Euclid but I have a Cleveland mailing address. Kind of by beach wood mall

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah you were in MI same time as Irish Cannon Right?i think we were supposed to all do something when I was home but you weren't around actually haha.

I think it was technically south Euclid but I have a Cleveland mailing address. Kind of by beach wood mall
Yep it was me and the Scott man tearing things up together. Yes, I was supposed to join you guys but my wife was in town (long distance at the time for LG).

I had no idea you were 19 at the time. I would have guessed mid twenties.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

Very familiar, there was a Cadilac dealer and Sell there by the freeway. :D

Where did u work there n why did u leave?

Invycktus

Invycktus

Awards
  • Established
Traveled this weekend for work and it was awesome! It was only to LA but I love doing sales. Kind of contradictory to my hypothesis of being a teacher?

Boss is already talking about sending me on the road again, in could set get used to this....
Oh you gonna love it,get on a Frequent flyer program.

We should have a new status for our fliers like Anabolic Flyer or something like that.

Welcome to the club man :)

185k miles this year and counting :)

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh you gonna love it,get on a Frequent flyer program.

We should have a new status for our fliers like Anabolic Flyer or something like that.

Welcome to the club man :)

185k miles this year and counting :)
I'm not that big time yet, lol. I'm still driving

I do have a free flight though, that I've collected just myself over the past year. I think I'm at 26k yeah small potatoes to you big dog!

Invycktus

Invycktus

Awards
  • Established
Naha, as you see my siggy, that has been my route, with the addition of MSP every fortnight to meet with a client. Work keeps me shuttling in and out of the city, and frankly I am insufferable and whiny when I am grounded for some reason.

When I am on the road, i am disciplined, when I am at home, everyday is a re-feed day. I gained about 8 lbs of weight in 2 weeks in June :(

Miles and points are one thing, remember if you are flying on the company moolah, pick an alliance :

Star Alliance, (United/US Air)

Skyteam (Delta)

OneWorld (American)

if you fly an alliance jet, advantage is the incredible upgrades, and EU or Asian trips get you a lot of good stuff :)

For that reason, Frontier, SouthW, AirTran, JetBlue are off my radar.

I pretty much take US Air or Delta out of MEM (Memphis)

grumblecakes

Awards
So this is my first post... Kinda happy that I can stumble upon this thread and understand most of the sentiments expressed here...

The worst part about travelling for work (also a consultant) is getting to the hotel and being greeted w/ the most abysmally depressing "weight room" imaginable. As a result I currently have 3 different gym memberships for the places I've been frequenting over the past 4-5 months.

My biggest problem is keeping my diet on point. I tend to have a stockpile of *** Lean Shakes, *** 50gram Slam, or the vials of liquid protein (aka dildos) and feed off these to supplement the ***** takeout/delivery that I am subjected to.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So this is my first post... Kinda happy that I can stumble upon this thread and understand most of the sentiments expressed here...

The worst part about travelling for work (also a consultant) is getting to the hotel and being greeted w/ the most abysmally depressing "weight room" imaginable. As a result I currently have 3 different gym memberships for the places I've been frequenting over the past 4-5 months.

My biggest problem is keeping my diet on point. I tend to have a stockpile of *** Lean Shakes, *** 50gram Slam, or the vials of liquid protein (aka dildos) and feed off these to supplement the ***** takeout/delivery that I am subjected to.
It was a bit harder, mostly bc other vendors wanted to go out for drinks after the show each night.

Not too hard other wise, at least for me on a keto.

Yeah weight rooms sucked but as long as I have a treadmill, I'll make due! They wanted $30 for a weekend pass at the gym by my hotel though. Yeah told em to GFY

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
Awesome thread DW. Ive done alot of traveling around this year and love it. DOc and I are workong on an online business so we can work from anywhere and just be full time Nomads. You da man make sure you message me if you end up in boston.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome thread DW. Ive done alot of traveling around this year and love it. DOc and I are workong on an online business so we can work from anywhere and just be full time Nomads. You da man make sure you message me if you end up in boston.
So jelly of your full time "nomad-ness".

My hope is, and with the current climate of hiring teachers, to just sign a lot of 1 year teaching contracts in different cities.

Luckily, I've got my financials set up so retirement isn't a concern (one of biggest draws for teaching)

How did you like Boston?

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
So jelly of your full time "nomad-ness".

My hope is, and with the current climate of hiring teachers, to just sign a lot of 1 year teaching contracts in different cities.

Luckily, I've got my financials set up so retirement isn't a concern (one of biggest draws for teaching)

How did you like Boston?
Where I was living the area kinda sucked righted byu a methadone clinic and homeless shelter so anytime I left my house someone was asking me for money or trying to sell me stuff. Also traffic and parking suck but no different then any other big city. I like the small towns man motorcycles and 4 wheelers etc city life isnt for me

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Where I was living the area kinda sucked righted byu a methadone clinic and homeless shelter so anytime I left my house someone was asking me for money or trying to sell me stuff.
This is 80% of Fresno, north Fresno is the only safe heaven and where my gym is. I live right on the border of where it goes from crap to nice.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
This is 80% of Fresno, north Fresno is the only safe heaven and where my gym is. I live right on the border of where it goes from crap to nice.
So it wont be a total culture shock then if you move there. There is some really nice parts especially if your into history and that stuff interesting city. Look into Lowell, MA also a city smaller then boston though "birthplace of the industrial revolution"

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So it wont be a total culture shock then if you move there. There is some really nice parts especially if your into history and that stuff interesting city. Look into Lowell, MA also a city smaller then boston though "birthplace of the industrial revolution"
I grew up in Detroit man, does it get dirtier than that, lol? (I love my city though)

I visited Lowell, i was looking at going to U-Mass Lowell out of JC. I agree, very interesting city.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get it done while you can DW. Crazy if you don't. Plenty of time to get old and then you can sit back with all those memories!! No regrets kid.

PS...San Fran is a vibrant city

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get it done while you can DW. Crazy if you don't. Plenty of time to get old and then you can sit back with all those memories!! No regrets kid.

PS...San Fran is a vibrant city
I'm bout 2hr away from San Fran. Last week at a trade show I was telling a guy about my idea. He said San Fran is great for a single guy! Yeah sure some guys will hit on you, but if you can handle it, you'll get tons of chicks! Girls there have don't know what to do with half the guys batting for the other team, you'll clean up!

I got a good laugh. AZMIDLYF has spoken, it's a must now!

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol..your odds surely improve with the switch hitters out of the mix. One caveat though..not a cheap place to live.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm thinking as you travel and move around, eventually you'll find a place where you say "this is home"

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
DW, speaking in total sincerity, I know exactly how you feel. I've been in that same exact position in my life, and often still am to some degree. I enjoy people and friendship on some level, but I've always had somewhat of a wanderlust soul; throughout life, I've made some close friends, but I much prefer seeing things from the outside looking in, and take advantage of every opportunity that is given to me. When your heart and mind are focused on the right things, everything falls into place whether it be emotionally, financially or spiritually.

In looking back, very small decisions have changed my life drastically. Take advantage of every opportunity you can, be it travel, education, companionship, or work. Devote yourself to experiences in life. Learn to appreciate everything that's put before you.

When you head East, plan some spots to stop. Go to some local pubs. Find some chick that will take you to a honky-tonk in Texas and another that will take you to a jazz club in New Orleans. - Go to local breweries, hike some mountains, rent a horse and go camping by yourself. I've done all that crap, and it's awesome when your expectations are low and you take everything as it comes.

And man, if you ever want to travel for short stints, hit me up. Ireland, Belgium, Newfoundland, Portland, Seattle, Iceland...and of course Chicago. We go all the time.

And you better come through Charlotte when you make the drive. I'll take you to my favorite pub out here.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DW, speaking in total sincerity, I know exactly how you feel. I've been in that same exact position in my life, and often still am to some degree. I enjoy people and friendship on some level, but I've always had somewhat of a wanderlust soul; throughout life, I've made some close friends, but I much prefer seeing things from the outside looking in, and take advantage of every opportunity that is given to me. When your heart and mind are focused on the right things, everything falls into place whether it be emotionally, financially or spiritually.

In looking back, very small decisions have changed my life drastically. Take advantage of every opportunity you can, be it travel, education, companionship, or work. Devote yourself to experiences in life. Learn to appreciate everything that's put before you.

When you head East, plan some spots to stop. Go to some local pubs. Find some chick that will take you to a honky-tonk in Texas and another that will take you to a jazz club in New Orleans. - Go to local breweries, hike some mountains, rent a horse and go camping by yourself. I've done all that crap, and it's awesome when your expectations are low and you take everything as it comes.

And man, if you ever want to travel for short stints, hit me up. Ireland, Belgium, Newfoundland, Portland, Seattle, Iceland...and of course Chicago. We go all the time.

And you better come through Charlotte when you make the drive. I'll take you to my favorite pub out here.
Well said buddy, I appreciate it.

I'm at my dads for the holidays and he gave a perspective similar to yours. I will a absolutely be stopping by on my journey. I have a few stops mapped out & I'll be traveling much lighter than I have in the past (pretty much have my all my stuff sold) so it's just some clothes & my tv's.

I will absolutely keep you in mind for short stints. It's refreshing to have someone who's as up for it as myself. I love my friends but they're not much up for traveling, as you can see this is like blasphemy to me lol.

It looks like I'll be crushing I-10 the majority of the journey...

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It looks like I'll be crushing I-10 the majority of the journey...
It's possible we could even get up down in Florida, too. Just keep that in mind. My parents still live in the Panhandle, just about 30min south of I-10.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what a fun drive that isn't
I've done 80, 40 & 20. Never I-10 though, should be interesting.

It's possible we could even get up down in Florida, too. Just keep that in mind. My parents still live in the Panhandle, just about 30min south of I-10.
I've made a note, sir