Lv. Percent
    95.44%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Smith & Wesson Introduces .50 Cal. Handgun

By Trudy Tynan
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    2:26 p.m., February 13, 2003

Associated Press
    Dirty Harry is now outgunned: Smith & Wesson has introduced its biggest handgun ever, a .50-caliber Magnum.

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. Dirty Harry is now outgunned: Smith & Wesson has introduced its biggest handgun ever, a .50-caliber Magnum.

The five-shot revolver with an 8-inch barrel weighs about 4 pounds roughly a pound more than the big black .44 Magnum wielded by Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry movies. It fires a new .50-caliber cartridge that the company said produces nearly three times the muzzle energy of the .44 or enough stopping power to bring down a charging bear.

"The primary market for it is hunting" big game, spokesman Ken Jorgensen said.

Steve Comus, publications director of the Safari Club International, said he expects Smith & Wesson to sell several thousand of the weapons to sportsmen interested in hunting with handguns.

Some questioned the wisdom of producing a more powerful handgun.

"It boggles the mind," said Tom Ortiz, executive director of the Violence Policy Center. He predicted the new Magnum would create "a new order of threat to law enforcement."

Smith & Wesson first brought out the .44 Magnum in the 1950s.

The new gun, which sells for $989, is one of nine models Smith & Wesson introduced this week at a trade show in Orlando, Fla. President Roy C. Cuny said it was the largest number of new introductions in recent years.

The introduction of the big gun marks a sharp departure for the 150-year-old company, which for the past five years has concentrated on the development of lightweight revolvers using alloys of rare metals.

Among the other new guns being introduced by Smith & Wesson is the industry's lightest ever: a .44 Magnum that has a 4-inch barrel, scandium frame and titanium cylinder, and weighs in at 1 pound, 10 ounces.

"We see this as an opportunity for backpackers," Cuny said. "A light firearm of this caliber, in fact, provides protection against bears and other big things."

Despite a spike following the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon, handgun sales have long been on the decline in the United States, and Smith & Wesson has struggled along with other gunmakers.

But Smith & Wesson, long the industry leader, also lost business in recent years after striking a deal with the Clinton administration in 2000 to install safety locks on all its guns and change its marketing practices. Other gunmakers decided not to follow Smith & Wesson's lead, and gun advocates accused the company of selling out.

In 2001, the ailing gunmaker was sold by its British owner to an Arizona startup company that all but abandoned the agreement with the government and adopted an aggressive and unapologetic marketing stance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Sorry but I can just imagine the recoil from that monster.. I have fired a Desert Eagle and that thing had the recoil from hell..
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Ive shot a .50 desert eagle as well. Ow Ow!
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Hey Wind.. did you get much of an upward travel on the barrel between shots when you shot it?
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.84%

All I can is bro is that for my hands it way to much of gun! I could barely get my hand around it so I had a lot of movement period.
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.16%

****in nuts... that's a beautiful thing, yes sir... still like the deagle the best though... feels hella good when fired for sure, big ow ow
    Last edited by Biggs; 02-18-2003 at 11:58 PM.
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.47%

Yeah YJ, I read an article on that gun (the S&W .50 Mag) in the Los Angeles Times, oh ****....I think I'm in love

LG.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.32%

My buddy has a deagle in .50 AE and it is a monster... I'm a fan of the colt anaconda (.44 mag) when it comes to hand cannons.

Never been much of a S&W fan.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.86%

Can't wait to fire it. I wanna shoot something.
  10. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.15%

good god... i was lookin at getting a 357 magnum taurus; this is almost 3x the price

too big tho lol
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.83%

Smith & Wesson Introduces .50 Cal. Handgun??

Good. I've got someone in mind that I can't wait to introduce it to.... *hmmp* *hmmph* Oh, JWeave !

Similar Forum Threads

1. Just wanted to introduce my training partner
    By Matthew D in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 01:19 PM
  2. *Introduce Yourself!*
    By YellowJacket in forum General Chat
    Replies: 296
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 11:32 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 12:00 PM
  4. Replies: 61