Anyone else have this problem?

rbrooks

rbrooks

Awards
Since I started TRT and hitting the gym with other supplements, I'm not allowed to have a valid emotion about anything.

Everytime I get angry about something, or bummed, no matter how legitimate a reason, the wife just chalks it up to'raging'.

...and that just makes me madder. How the hell am I supposed to walk on eggshells all the time?

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When she's on her monthly cycle, give her the same treatment!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Valid emotions is one thing. Self control is another. However valid you anger it is invalidated by innapropriate behavior. Grown men known how to respond to the anger emotion without innapropriate anger tantrums.

CaptHowdy5150

CaptHowdy5150

Awards
  • Established
I get that same reaction from my gf all the time, and I've never taken anything stronger than natty test boosters...I think it's just one more thing for them to hold over us.

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
Any time I'm in a bad mood it gets blamed on all sorts of things wether its valid or not. But, I made a point to explain to my wife what the purpose of the key supps are and despite the fact that she doesn't listen, my ability to give a scientific reason that I need the supp is enough for her. After explaining all the nutritional and biological aspects to her she gives up and only asks how much it costs. If that doesn't work for you I'm lost but I hope my situation helps.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is Enemy No. 1 of men. It’s your feelings. Write it down. Feelings.

Not too long ago a book came out called EQ. Now a lot of times, we know what IQ means, but we don’t know what EQ means. IQ is how we measure our intelligence, and oftentimes, it’s the measure of success in the academic community, or entrance into a college or university. But in this book EQ, it actually said that a person’s emotional quotient, or emotional stability is the greater predictor of success. And you know what? I’m in my 50s now, and I’ve worked with a lot of people in all kinds of arenas, and that is exactly my observation of life. I wouldn’t have called it “EQ” but there are many, many smart people – much smarter than I am and much smarter than a lot of people that they work around - who are limited, not because of their intelligence, but because of their emotions. They’re emotionally unstable. And the greatest predictor of success in the workplace and in life is how you master your emotions.

A man who bows to his feelings can never be a real man. Now, I’m not saying that you don’t feel. I’m not saying that real men need to suppress their feelings. Feelings are part of life. But greater than feelings is a sense of calling and my calling calls me above those things at times. In fact, at times I have to turn and put my face into the full gale force winds of feeling, and say ‘I’m not going to give in to you. I’m going to do what’s right.’ A man has to have that kind of control over his feelings if he’s going to be an authentic man.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is Enemy No. 1 of men. It's your feelings. Write it down. Feelings.

Not too long ago a book came out called EQ. Now a lot of times, we know what IQ means, but we don't know what EQ means. IQ is how we measure our intelligence, and oftentimes, it's the measure of success in the academic community, or entrance into a college or university. But in this book EQ, it actually said that a person's emotional quotient, or emotional stability is the greater predictor of success. And you know what? I'm in my 50s now, and I've worked with a lot of people in all kinds of arenas, and that is exactly my observation of life. I wouldn't have called it "EQ" but there are many, many smart people - much smarter than I am and much smarter than a lot of people that they work around - who are limited, not because of their intelligence, but because of their emotions. They're emotionally unstable. And the greatest predictor of success in the workplace and in life is how you master your emotions.

A man who bows to his feelings can never be a real man. Now, I'm not saying that you don't feel. I'm not saying that real men need to suppress their feelings. Feelings are part of life. But greater than feelings is a sense of calling and my calling calls me above those things at times. In fact, at times I have to turn and put my face into the full gale force winds of feeling, and say 'I'm not going to give in to you. I'm going to do what's right.' A man has to have that kind of control over his feelings if he's going to be an authentic man.
Epic dude epic!!

rbrooks

rbrooks

Awards
Nice post.

I know that I'm not the most emotionally intelligent person in the world, but far from a basket case. Things that are typically things that get me aggravated, but not angry, and get mentioned, instantly elicit the "You're raging" response, which, well, makes me more angry. Nothing is more irritating than having your point dismissed because of something that someone else perceives to be the obvious cause, or excuse to shift the accountability.

It's not just the wife, even in my band it's popping up. I don't advertise that I'm doing this stuff, but wives talk to wives and when my drummer ****ed up the same spot in the same song for the fifth time because he's not paying attention, and I called him on it, it gets attributed to 'roid rage' and not the fact that he just hasn't gotten his **** together regarding it, even though it's a known issue.

I guess I hold myself to a high standard, and perhaps project that onto others. But that's not new. What's new, is the excuse they can use to invalidate it. And it's aggravating to no end.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards

Not too long ago a book came out called EQ. Now a lot of times, we know what IQ means, but we don’t know what EQ means. IQ is how we measure our intelligence, and oftentimes, it’s the measure of success in the academic community, or entrance into a college or university. But in this book EQ, it actually said that a person’s emotional quotient, or emotional stability is the greater predictor of success. And you know what? I’m in my 50s now, and I’ve worked with a lot of people in all kinds of arenas, and that is exactly my observation of life. I wouldn’t have called it “EQ” but there are many, many smart people – much smarter than I am and much smarter than a lot of people that they work around - who are limited, not because of their intelligence, but because of their emotions. They’re emotionally unstable. And the greatest predictor of success in the workplace and in life is how you master your emotions.

A man who bows to his feelings can never be a real man. Now, I’m not saying that you don’t feel. I’m not saying that real men need to suppress their feelings. Feelings are part of life. But greater than feelings is a sense of calling and my calling calls me above those things at times. In fact, at times I have to turn and put my face into the full gale force winds of feeling, and say ‘I’m not going to give in to you. I’m going to do what’s right.’ A man has to have that kind of control over his feelings if he’s going to be an authentic man.
Excellent...never really thought about that. Might try to read that this summer.

rbrooks

rbrooks

Awards
I've done a bit of Googling since yesterday, and even though I've referenced emotional intelligence in the past regarding people that I considered to be vastly one direction or another (Effeminately emotional or powder keg angry), I never applied any of it to myself because I consider myself middle of the road compared to that stuff.

Perhaps this bears a little more research. I'm still firmly convinced that I'm not acting differently than I was, and that's still a thorn in my side, but 'the way I was' isn't exactly ideal either.

Glad I started this thread.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I'll be honest, the first thing I think of when I see EQ is Equipoise but that's just me. Here's a little psych test anyone can take if your interested in the subject emotional quotient: http://psychology.about.com/library/quiz/bl_eq_quiz.htm

FYI David your stats list you as 47. :D

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Valid emotions is one thing. Self control is another. However valid you anger it is invalidated by innapropriate behavior. Grown men known how to respond to the anger emotion without innapropriate anger tantrums.
The voice of reason speaks. This should be a sign in the weights area.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Well said sir. This is exactly the route I would take with it

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
^ Yes.

I've lifted weights since I was 13 years old. I've been in the Marines, to war, fought MMA and even lived in a bad area at one point. Most people find these traits those of an aggressive person, but then are shocked to know those things after meeting me. I've always managed to be called a "calm, laid back" person. You can't let little things get to you man. Increase in testosterone from lifting weights usually can cause some aggression, but it's all in how you handle it. Just this morning I drove to the video store and on the way home this idiot didn't stop at the stop sign right in front of my house and I had the ride away, and he saw me pulling out and speeded up and nearly hit my truck. He yells some mumbo jumbo out the window and I just shook my head and laughed. The way I see it, unless it's something life changing the best route to take is to be calm and ignore it.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fantastic post David!