Question about becoming a trainer/strength coach

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70%

Question about becoming a trainer/strength coach

I was wondering if any of the strength coaches and trainers out there could give any advice to a college student that wants to take that path. Where do I start? Are there internships out there for that or do I just shadow people? Are there graduate programs for this? I'm majoring in sport leadership at Ohio state now, is that enough or do I need more specialized schooling? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.47%

Check with the peeps in charge of strength and conditioning at your school, they probably have unpaid internships just like you said. I almost took one for the summer but my plans changed. Think it'd be a great learning experience for ppl like us...good luck
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.28%

You don't have to go to college to be a personal trainer. You can get certified through some accredited places like ACE, NSCA, NGA, NASM, NFPT, ISSA. Just look up those organizations and find the one that's right for you. I'm certified through NSCA and NASM, which are the two most highly recognized but also the hardest. I also have a CSCS from NSCA, but you have to have a bachelors degree in any field to take it. I've heard that ACE is pretty easy for newcomers getting used to the information and physiology. I'd start with them or NGA and then go into higher organizations after that.

I took 1 year of exercise physiology in college but ended up not going back for a 2nd year because I felt kind of like I was wasting my time. I make almost $35 an hour as an RN and my job will always be here and will always be stable vs if I wanted to be a full-time trainer it's a coin toss month to month and it's hard to work 12 hour shifts and go to college full-time. If you enjoy learning about the human body, I'd recommend you to go into the healthcare field if you think something like that would be for you.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.14%

Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    You don't have to go to college to be a personal trainer. You can get certified through some accredited places like ACE, NSCA, NGA, NASM, NFPT, ISSA. Just look up those organizations and find the one that's right for you. I'm certified through NSCA and NASM, which are the two most highly recognized but also the hardest. I also have a CSCS from NSCA, but you have to have a bachelors degree in any field to take it. I've heard that ACE is pretty easy for newcomers getting used to the information and physiology. I'd start with them or NGA and then go into higher organizations after that.

I took 1 year of exercise physiology in college but ended up not going back for a 2nd year because I felt kind of like I was wasting my time. I make almost $35 an hour as an RN and my job will always be here and will always be stable vs if I wanted to be a full-time trainer it's a coin toss month to month and it's hard to work 12 hour shifts and go to college full-time. If you enjoy learning about the human body, I'd recommend you to go into the healthcare field if you think something like that would be for you.
    Hey K0ng,

I noticed you have a CPT from both NASM and NSCA, which CPT exam would you say is harder, NASM or NSCA? Also, I have a B.A. and I'm going to take the CSCS in 2-3 months. In your opinion, do you think it would it be worthwhile to get a CPT now to get started sooner, or save my money/time for the CSCS?

Thanks a bunch!
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.28%

Quote Originally Posted by rambofireball View Post
    Hey K0ng,

I noticed you have a CPT from both NASM and NSCA, which CPT exam would you say is harder, NASM or NSCA? Also, I have a B.A. and I'm going to take the CSCS in 2-3 months. In your opinion, do you think it would it be worthwhile to get a CPT now to get started sooner, or save my money/time for the CSCS?

Thanks a bunch!
    Sorry it took so long to reply. I don't get online much these days since starting evening shift. To answer your question, NSCA is the hardest personal training organization, or at least they're considered the "top" organization by most. NASM was quite a bit easier. My weightlifting partner is certified through ACE and NASM and he said ACE was easier than NASM. I think it's great to start with the CPT, then take the CSCS. Best of luck in your career.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.14%

Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Sorry it took so long to reply. I don't get online much these days since starting evening shift. To answer your question, NSCA is the hardest personal training organization, or at least they're considered the "top" organization by most. NASM was quite a bit easier. My weightlifting partner is certified through ACE and NASM and he said ACE was easier than NASM. I think it's great to start with the CPT, then take the CSCS. Best of luck in your career.
    No worries, I definitely understand the evening shift. Thanks for the response, I decided to just wait until I can get the CSCS and then try to intern once I'm certified. I'm studying out of the NSCA's 'Essentials of Strength and Conditioning' textbook and totally loving it. I will hopefully take the CSCS test shortly after the new year, pretty excited.
    My parents created my body, in which I create my mind. I will honor them, by developing both to their utmost potential.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 12:56 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 03:28 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2009, 06:18 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 01:49 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 06:50 PM