Who owns a gun?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. USA HOCKEY

Who owns a gun?

I don't actually. In fact i've been very much against them. And I have very limited knowledge of them. I am interested in buying one for protection...
    This kid convinced me I (and everyone) should own one.

Where to buy one for a good price?
    What models to consider?
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com

2. Board Supporter

Go to a gun show to get one just research it and you can get a good deal. I personally like Glock mine is not pretty but I can rip the center of a target out at 50 feet. H&K is an outstanding gunmaker also but you will pay. I am buying a Beretta this weekend so I will let you know how i like that one too.
  3. Registered User

Sigs are my personal favorite. Glok, Kimber, Springfields, & H&Ks are good choices as well.
    •   

4. ***** Vampire

If it is just for your house, then just get a cheap 12 gauge shotgun. dont even have to really aim. i have a shotgun and an AK-47.
  5. USA HOCKEY

Gun show... hmm.... Interesting
    What to do about pricing...? I read a couple gun magazine websites.
  6. USA HOCKEY

Quote Originally Posted by goldylight
    If it is just for your house, then just get a cheap 12 gauge shotgun. dont even have to really aim. i have a shotgun and an AK-47.
    Yep - I was told that on the shotgun is the best house-defense weapon.
    I think I want an Uzi / M14 for trips to the grocery store...

* What is the process like to get a firearm - and carry around? (concealed weapon permit) (I'm really in the dark on weapons)
    Last edited by Deoudes59; 10-03-2004 at 09:09 AM.
  7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Deoudes59
    * What is the process like to get a firearm - and carry around? (concealed weapon permit) (I'm really in the dark on weapons)
    You should just be able to go down to your town/city hall and pick up a concealed weapons permit. Fill it out and send it in for approval.
  8. ***** Vampire

depending on your state - i think concealed takes around 3-6 months to get. rifles and shotguns, you walk out of the store in 15 minutes as long as you dont have a criminal record.
  9. Board Supporter

Where to start? From the south so I have enough guns to take over Cuba.

I am a hunter so my favorite is my 7mm browning semi-automatic rifle with a 50mm scope, easily deadly at 500 yards, try to do that with your glock :-)

I also have a really light browning youth model 20 gauge shotgun I love, deadly on squirrels, ducks, pheasants, doves, etc and easy to cary around (and beautiful). Also to protect your house nothing says ****off like a shotgun, you might miss with a pistol or rifle but you will kill someone dead with a scatter gun.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

Ironic, I'm looking into buying my first handgun as well.
  11. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    Ironic, I'm looking into buying my first handgun as well.
    It's been said already, but for home defense, if that's what you guys are looking for, get a shotgun. Handguns are awesome for shooting and defense on the go, but a lot of states don't let you carry. Imagine waking up in the middle of the night with blurry eyes trying to aim a handgun. A shotgun will tear through anything you point it at without much aiming needed, and it's often said that the sound of just pumping a shell into the chamber is enough to scare the **** out of someone.
  12. Board Supporter

Another thing to keep in mind is your line of fire - are you in an apartment? Do you have kids or someone else living in the house with you? A magnum will go through drywall easily from what I've heard. I've heard birdshot will not easily penetrate drywall though, but will still take someone down with a clear shot - is this true?

I've got a S&W .40 pistol now, but thinking more about a shotgun, I think it would be safer with kids around.
  13. USA HOCKEY

thanks for the discussion bros, keep it coming
  14. Board Supporter

You are right, a big 45 handgun would go through a couple walls, birdshot will too but not as much and would loose velocity, some will get stopped, etc. Safer in general.

My grandmother once stopped a robber with a 12-gauge pump action shotgun, she said he got really cooperative when she put a shell in the chamber, that sound sends a big message.
  15. Registered User

Go to a firing range and shoot a few to see what feel you like.

Nothing quite like killing you dinner.
  16. Board Supporter

yeah shotgun is a good choice for home defense. I woudl use 00 buck though and not bird shot if he is far enough away or turns his back to you down a hall or so you might just piss someone off. However seeing 3 feet of fire fly out of a barrel is quite intimidating. I keep my glock by the bed and the shotgun loaded with 00 right inside the closet door. So if I get woken up with some poor bastard in the room I got 10 chances to hit him with a .40 cal loaded with hydroshocks and if he is loud enogh to wake me up in another part of the house then the shotgun gets broken out.

I got my conceal carry permit about 6 months ago. TN makes you take a class and then you have to apply with the state after that. Took me about 6 weeks and I can carry any weapon and how ever many I want in plane sight or concealed if I choose.
  17. Registered User

The power of a shotgun cannot be challenged at close range. A pistol pumps out 1 lead slug at one time, a 12 gauge pumps out about 20 lead pellets. One properly placed shotgun blast would probably have more stopping power than emptying an entire pistol magazine. So for home defense, its pretty intimidating.
  18. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cr4ytonic
    I am a hunter so my favorite is my 7mm browning semi-automatic rifle with a 50mm scope, easily deadly at 500 yards, try to do that with your glock :-)

I also have a really light browning youth model 20 gauge shotgun I love, deadly on squirrels, ducks, pheasants, doves, etc and easy to cary around (and beautiful). Also to protect your house nothing says ****off like a shotgun, you might miss with a pistol or rifle but you will kill someone dead with a scatter gun.
    Damn, it must be a real challenge to kill non-moving animals with a 500 yard scope.

And if you can't hit a person a couple of feet away from you with a handgun, then maybe you should spend a little more time at the shooting range and stop blowing up small animals with your "scatter gun".
  19. Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

I'm good with a handgun (infantry school), so of course I own two .40's (one Glock, one HK usp).. I'd like to get a Binelli(sp) tactical shotgun oneday..
  20. Registered User

OO those are big pellets. Might as go with some buck shot slugs I have a Beretta Tekneys
    12gauge keep it loaded with nitro steel shot.Then i have acouple other "Toys" that are
    stragicly placed around the house!
  21. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetefox
    I'm good with a handgun (infantry school), so of course I own two .40's (one Glock, one HK usp).. I'd like to get a Binelli(sp) tactical shotgun oneday..
    Is that the tactial 45 usp? You should check out Benelli's new limited edition tactical shotgun. It's the sickest shotgun I've ever seen. I may pick one up for $1500.
  22. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by goldylight
    depending on your state - i think concealed takes around 3-6 months to get. rifles and shotguns, you walk out of the store in 15 minutes as long as you dont have a criminal record.
    That's insane. It's a right to be able to carry a weapon. I had mine within a week or so. I just had to get the chief of police to sign it.
  23. Registered User

Pete, what makes you prefer .40 over other calibers?
  24. Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by NPursuit
    Is that the tactial 45 usp? You should check out Benelli's new limited edition tactical shotgun. It's the sickest shotgun I've ever seen. I may pick one up for $1500.
    Mine is the .40 S&W compact model.. The Glock is the 23 model, compact FBI issue..

I'll have to move out your way to get my carry permit..
  25. Board Supporter

Mine is the .40 S&W compact model.. The Glock is the 23 model, compact FBI issue..

I'll have to move out your way to get my carry permit..
    Mine is a Glock 27. I love it. I am about to buy the Beretta 9000s 9mm I hope it is as reliable as my glock.

NP to answer your question about .40 cal or bigger. I personally carry a weapon of a bigger caliber because it has much more knock down power when compared to a say a 9mm. 9mm rounds travel at a much higher velocity than a 40 or 45 round. What could possibly happen is if you shoot an intruder with a 9mm the rounds could pass right through and never knock them off their feet. This could be a problem if it is some dope head in your house that probably thinks that was real ****ty of you to shoot him and still comes after you. A 40 cal on the other hand if you plant one in him it will probably not pass through and all that inertia will be transfered into his body and knock him off his feet. This changes an intruders psyc pretty significantly and he has to think for a second before he gets up. Always need somehting .357 or bigger when you need to neutralize a threat
  26. ***** Vampire

Quote Originally Posted by NPursuit
    That's insane. It's a right to be able to carry a weapon. I had mine within a week or so. I just had to get the chief of police to sign it.
    That was when i lived in Long Island(new york).
  27. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee
    Damn, it must be a real challenge to kill non-moving animals with a 500 yard scope.

And if you can't hit a person a couple of feet away from you with a handgun, then maybe you should spend a little more time at the shooting range and stop blowing up small animals with your "scatter gun".
    I never said non-moving, and never said I could not hit something a few feet away with a handgun. Why are you trolling?
  28. Registered User

Unless you have one of those extensions, I don't know how you do it. I wanted to get the G23 or even the G27, but they were both felt too small and awkward in my hand. So I ended up getting the full-sized G22.
  29. Registered User

I like HK, Glock, Sig, Kimber, Bushmaster, RRA...

Some good gun forums are

www.assaultweb.net
    www.ar15.com
    www.thefiringline.com
    www.thehighroad.org

I like the hk USP and the Sig 226.
  30. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Funny Monkey
    NP to answer your question about .40 cal or bigger. I personally carry a weapon of a bigger caliber because it has much more knock down power when compared to a say a 9mm. 9mm rounds travel at a much higher velocity than a 40 or 45 round. What could possibly happen is if you shoot an intruder with a 9mm the rounds could pass right through and never knock them off their feet. This could be a problem if it is some dope head in your house that probably thinks that was real ****ty of you to shoot him and still comes after you. A 40 cal on the other hand if you plant one in him it will probably not pass through and all that inertia will be transfered into his body and knock him off his feet. This changes an intruders psyc pretty significantly and he has to think for a second before he gets up. Always need somehting .357 or bigger when you need to neutralize a threat
    I wasn't aware I asked a question about calibers?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Who owns a PSP(Playstation Portable)?
    By Trauma1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 12:18 PM
  2. Who own this forum?
    By caca in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 05:18 AM
  3. George Carlin (who) Owns You ???
    By anabolicrhino in forum Politics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 09:55 PM
  4. Who was at the machine gun shoot in Louisvile, KY