Turning an Unhealthy Addiction into a Healthy One?

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
Has anyone on here done this?

I've been an opiate addict for the past 4 years. Prior to that I was in the best shape of my (short thus far) life. I withdrew from school this semester to seek treatment (2 semesters away from applying to medical school) What's shocked me is that while "using" I never had energy or motivation to go to the gym religiously like I have for the past month, but now I can't seem to get enough of it. Quite literally, it is what I look forward to most every day now. While I don't have alot of sober time under my belt, I can say that working out has become a healthy addiction that I don't mind carrying.

I was just curious if this same transformation has happened to anybody else, or if anyone else on these boards have turned a bad habit of any type into a good habit.

-CJ

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think its generally a common pattern. Most bodybuilder types have some level of obsessive compulsive behavior and addictive personalities and bodybuilding ends up being a relatively healthier expression of those than most other things.

The FFB group (former fat boys) is a good example that I fall into. I now can eat as much as I used to, with throwing in the treat type items moderately frequently still while being reasonably lean and fairly muscular. A bit of it even is just finding healthier items that still feel like treats. Fat free cottage cheese with 0 calorie chocolate sauce and almond butter makes for a really yummy desert type snack that is really healthy too.

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
I love cottage cheese so I gotta try that. My favorite is cottage cheese and some kind of cut up fresh fruit mixed in. Pineapple is my new flavor of the week.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Getting sober changed my life. Far too many consequences from my substance abuse to speak of in one post or in one thread.

Like Easy mentioned, we all, addicts in particularly, have the tendency to go to extremes in this lifestyle. Although it may manifest itself in a greatly improved physique it can be equally crippling when it overcomes your life because of the obsessiveness. Balance your life and your lefestyle and you will have the potential for greater sustainability.

10 years ago this past February I began to recover from my substance abuse. That was when I had to begin learn to recover from my past without substance use. Sobriety is easy. Facing who and what you are, have done and who you have hurt along the way - sober- is the hard part. A real many will face it and make ammends.

I have not missed more than two weeks training (in one form or another) consecutively in over 9 years.

Conagratulations on being sober today.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/general-chat/117388-mens-fraternity-quest.html

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/forum-suggestions-news/109507-n-support-group.html

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
Thanks David for the support! and for the links!

EasyEJL, I am definitely stopping by sams to grab that almond butter. Is the sugar free chocolate syrup stocked in many stores or is it a specialty item you'd have to order?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its in most major supermarkets, sometimes in the maple syrup area rather than with other chocolate syrups

zacharius

Awards
I have a very similar story dude. good on ya for quitting its tough, working out definitely helped change my life i hope it helps you as well.. keep us posted.

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
Yeah, it took me 4 years to get to where I am today. It's strange because for 3 and a half years I knew I had a problem but man that can turn into some wicked sh!t.

I've looked at recovery so far to be exactly like weightlifting - you gotta start somewhere.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks David for the support! and for the links!

EasyEJL, I am definitely stopping by sams to grab that almond butter. Is the sugar free chocolate syrup stocked in many stores or is it a specialty item you'd have to order?
Also look in the pharmacy area. Weird place for it, but I have found that brand there at my local Kroger.

NuclearLaunch

NuclearLaunch

Awards
I recently kicked the alcohol that I was binge drinking to get me through a break up to cycle on and get back into the gym. I just tell people I gave it up for lent. I feel great. I'm motivated again, and giving up the alcohol has allowed me to find someone else.

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
OP...that is exactly what I did. Replaced opiates with lifting. I love it. Feel super confident every day, and i never used to. I slip up sometimes, but it's all a process...it's always there, but with time it gets easier. Hopefully you've got people in your life who will tell you "nah man, don't do that"..who you run with makes a big difference.

Kudos to all the above posters who come from similar backgrounds...and good luck to you all. :)

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
It really brings a positive sense to this post, being able to read stories from other people with the same issue. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Has anyone on here done this?

I've been an opiate addict for the past 4 years. Prior to that I was in the best shape of my (short thus far) life. I withdrew from school this semester to seek treatment (2 semesters away from applying to medical school) What's shocked me is that while "using" I never had energy or motivation to go to the gym religiously like I have for the past month, but now I can't seem to get enough of it. Quite literally, it is what I look forward to most every day now. While I don't have alot of sober time under my belt, I can say that working out has become a healthy addiction that I don't mind carrying.

I was just curious if this same transformation has happened to anybody else, or if anyone else on these boards have turned a bad habit of any type into a good habit.

-CJ

Im not trying to discourage you from getting help, but you might want to be aware of trying to go through the medical board to get a license if you plan on going to medical school. I could be wrong, but I cant imagine it will be very easy to get any type of medical license if you have addiction issues. depending on what your getting into the medical field for it might not be healthy for you either.

mhsattack16

mhsattack16

Awards
Yeah I've been talking to my doctor about it. He said it's better to go through this ordeal now rather than wait until I actually get into medical school. They have programs for licensed doctors to go through in this situation. I agree it wont be easy but it won't be impossible. Who knows maybe I'll find a new calling.