I saw a guy tear his pec in the gym

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I was in the gym the other day, & there was a guy on the BB incline bench with about 225 on there.

He was one of those guys who takes 10min between sets & walks around to look in the mirror. So he finally goes & does a few reps(maybe 8) with 225, real fast while only going 2/3 of the way down. I look up again & he has 315 on there, I figured there was no way he could lift it so I watched. He got a spotter & managed 2 ugly reps going halfway down without help. It was clear there was no way he could've done a full rep with it.
The idiot then adds another 30lbs, up to 345. At this point, the whole place was looking on. He waited about 10 more minutes before he went, so I had forgotten about him & looked away. I hear the guy yell & look up to see the bar hit his chest with full force & a loud thud. Another guy claims to have heard something pop. The spotter was a decent size guy, but could not lift the bar off him by himself, the guy was not pushing it at all. I ran over & grabbed a side, somebody else grabbed the other side & got it off him. He laid on the bench in agony holding his pec for the next half-hour I was there. He didn't say a word the whole time. He may have messed up his sternum or ribs too.

I wouldn't say anyone deserves that, but apparently he was the only one who didn't see it coming. I bet he'll stick to weights he can lift in the future.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't say anyone deserves that, but apparently he was the only one who didn't see it coming. I bet he'll stick to weights he can lift in the future.
I'm of the opinion that any adverse effects a person brings on themselves out of their own stupidity are totally deserved. Maybe now he'll learn how to lift properly and learn the right way to do partials specifically. He was probably trying to go too low when it was obvious he couldn't support/move the weight through his entire range of motion.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
Wow he could barely life 315 and he adds another 30...what the hell was he thinking.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I'm of the opinion that any adverse effects a person brings on themselves out of their own stupidity are totally deserved. Maybe now he'll learn how to lift properly and learn the right way to do partials specifically. He was probably trying to go too low when it was obvious he couldn't support/move the weight through his entire range of motion.
That's just the thing, I don't think he was trying to do partials. That was the only way he could do the reps at all with too much weight, he was trying to show off. My theory is that he tried to stop halfway down again, & that's when his pec tore. Then the bar still had 12" to fall onto his chest, making it much worse.

You usually see teens do this kind of thing, this guy was in his 30s.

keith1569

Awards
damn thats gotta hurt like a sob..it is amazin thouhg what people will do to themselves

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
That's just the thing, I don't think he was trying to do partials. That was the only way he could do the reps at all with too much weight, he was trying to show off. My theory is that he tried to stop halfway down again, & that's when his pec tore. Then the bar still had 12" to fall onto his chest, making it much worse.

You usually see teens do this kind of thing, this guy was in his 30s.
Yup. He should have basically looked up training techniques and he would have seen partials as a possibility for using more weight than you can through you're entire range of motion. He could have set a machine or the safeties in a power rack to accomodate this type of training then. He also would have leanred showing off is stupid when holding 300 pounds over your chest.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I've got that guy's lifting coach in my gym lol. He's clearly not in shape, huge gut, little skinny arms, pencil legs..but he loads up the bar with like 300 lbs and does partial partials lol, like lifts it off the rack and goes down maybe 10 inches for three super fast reps then racks and struts around like a fat little peacock. I so deperately want to say something but I know even if I put it delicately there'd be too much ego and it would open a can of worms. I'm waiting for the inevitable scream of pain and horror any day now.

synesta

Awards
Yeah well idiots will be idiots. Honestly I never had time to watch people in the gym. I go to lift and leave, not to make friends or observe others.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
what i like are the partial squats, we come in and there are 5 plates set up in the power rack on our squat day.

your looking around and there is only one disproportional chump sittin next to the finest hunny in there and she always has a "i was just being nice when i said hello" look on her face.
he comes over and talks himself into even getting under it, walks it out a little, and does this 5 inch back dip, squat, leg thing, then racks it, hes done,no spotter

i am glad i jumped out of the "tool" box along time ago.

i tel him "hang around a few sets we'll show you the proper from with 500"

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
what i like are the partial squats, we come in and there are 5 plates set up in the power rack on our squat day.

your looking around and there is only one disproportional chump sittin next to the finest hunny in there and she always has a "i was just being nice when i said hello" look on her face.
he comes over and talks himself into even getting under it, walks it out a little, and does this 5 inch back dip, squat, leg thing, then racks it, hes done,no spotter

i am glad i jumped out of the "tool" box along time ago.

i tel him "hang around a few sets we'll show you the proper from with 500"
I saw a guy doing the same type of **** on the leg press. He had on just about as many plates as the thing would hold (which pissed me off even more because it was almost all the 45's in the gym). I watched him do his "set", the 1st rep was about 1/4 of a full range of motion, and each subsequent "rep" was worse, until finally on his 10th or so it looked like he was doing calf raises. And he screamed loud as **** for every "rep" too. This went on while I was warming up to squat. I could see the guy watching me out of the corner of my eye thinking how much more he could do, because my warm up sets are only like 1-3 reps, just so my legs are used to the weight. I could still see him checking me out before my first work set. After hitting 275X16 ATG I racked it and looked back at the guy, who was looking at me until my eyes met his, and his look went directly to the ground.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I agree. I personally am not the sympathetic type :twisted:
I saw a guy doing the same type of **** on the leg press. He had on just about as many plates as the thing would hold (which pissed me off even more because it was almost all the 45's in the gym). I watched him do his "set", the 1st rep was about 1/4 of a full range of motion, and each subsequent "rep" was worse, until finally on his 10th or so it looked like he was doing calf raises. And he screamed loud as **** for every "rep" too. This went on while I was warming up to squat. I could see the guy watching me out of the corner of my eye thinking how much more he could do, because my warm up sets are only like 1-3 reps, just so my legs are used to the weight. I could still see him checking me out before my first work set. After hitting 275X16 ATG I racked it and looked back at the guy, who was looking at me until my eyes met his, and his look went directly to the ground.
That's funny, there's this 55+ year old guy who comes into the gym and every time, he loads up "exactly" 500lbs on the squat rack. He goes down about 4" on each rep and then always asks me if he went 1/2 way. I just kinda laugh and say I wasn't paying attention to that. I just wanted to make sure the weight came back "up". He looks clowny, but at his age (he may even be 60+), I guess he should be happy he can stick 500lbs on his shoulders and do anus clinches :p

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
"he should be happy he can stick 500lbs on his shoulders and do anus clinches"

Holy ****, that's funny...I think anus clinches have to be one of the most practices lifts at my gym! And why do people scream louder when they do those than when I do ass to the floor squats?!

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
BTW, call me an idiot, but WTF is the point of partials?

I see these two frat boys at my gym who bring a big piece of wood with them, place it on their chest, and proceed to "bench" way more than they're capable of...of course, only going down 30% until they hit the wood. What kind of **** is that? Why doesn't Ronnie Coleman do "partials" in his videos? Why didn't I run "partial miles" in track? I always want to kick that piece of wood out when they're lifting and watch them die under the bar. (sorry, harsh, but true). What kind of sport do "partials" ever benefit you in?

jah_live10

Banned
Awards

I see these two frat boys at my gym who bring a big piece of wood with them, place it on their chest, and proceed to "bench" way more than they're capable of...of course, only going down 30% until they hit the wood. What kind of **** is that? Why doesn't Ronnie Coleman do "partials" in his videos? Why didn't I run "partial miles" in track? I always want to kick that piece of wood out when they're lifting and watch them die under the bar. (sorry, harsh, but true). What kind of sport do "partials" ever benefit you in?
ok..I will call you an IDIOT.

:blink: ........its a sport called Powerlifting Brodus. Surely you have heard of Louie Simmons and the principles of westside barbell/metal militia. They are only the strongest bench pressers IN THE WORLD.

and as a matter of fact...ronnie coleman does do partials(maybe not the same way)... look at his ROM(range of motion) on his bench in the video. He never locks out untill he racks the weight. same with his incline and shoulder presses

The board press is a perfect sports specific movement for lineman that play football. When in real life do you push someone with your arms all the way back? (like in a full ROM bench press)
lineman keep their arms in front of them...and use a short ROM to push their opponent back.

the board press works your triceps to a greater degree than a regular bench press. AND It allows your cns to get accustomed to heavy weight.

and lots of peoples sticking point in their bench press is the lockout.(how many times have you seen some poor bastard stall at the top) Boardpresses help in this area.

I think I answered all of your questions.

BRODUS.......stick to cycling and running marathons. Because your lack of knowledge shows greatly when it comes to weightlifting.

gabriel

Awards

haha :)

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
HARSH!

man people look at me funny when i pul my sled around my middle class neighborhood,
or when i drag my chains in the local, pump jerk/ geriatrics style hole in the wall gym.

they always say look at this dude, what a tard. then stand in amazement when i lift weights they only dream about, and will never lift because they are stuck doing rocking curls and half reps of everything all the time "not board presses".
"Not implying your one of those guys at all Brodus"

They don't have a clue about anything orthodox, much less anything unconventional, try doing a reverse hyper,there like what does that do?
for the mirror junkies, I say its for my hemmoroids

But hey they are really good at machine flys and wrist curls..hehe

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
"local, pump jerk/ geriatrics style hole in the wall gym"

That's funny.

If you've seen the frat boys who do "board presses" once a week, and then 4 sets of cable curls on their other day in the gym, and spend most of the day talking so loudly about a party that you wonder why they didn't just go to a bar, you know what I'm talking about.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I think the point brodus was trying to make jah, was that in the gym the guys you usually see doing partials aren't powerlifters,just jackasses using shitty form trying to impress people. Kinda like the "powerlifters" you see at the gym with a bench shirt on throwing up a whopping 225.

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
"jackasses using shitty form trying to impress people."

I think this is why 30% of gym memberships are sold.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
I think the point brodus was trying to make jah, was that in the gym the guys you usually see doing partials aren't powerlifters,just jackasses using shitty form trying to impress people. Kinda like the "powerlifters" you see at the gym with a bench shirt on throwing up a whopping 225.
hey!
225 is alot for this 90 lb bench shirted woman i know!

and Yeah i want to open a gym that sells beer and has a club in the back, i think it would sell.

the is a place like that around my area that is called reaction fitness.com,

you throw 315+ on around there that place stops moving.
big dudes come out of the woodwork to watch.
and ask what kind of protein are you on?
uhhhh....
eye candy and "pump junkies" i am sorry i got it wrong the first time.
definitely a fun place to go for a change, and entertaining conversations, :drunk: but not to learn fundamentals.

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You know what, it probably would sell. Get Mens Journal to run a story about how "cool" it is, and you're all set. Now that we've turned men into women with those magazines, anything they print is gobbled up.

Yeah, you should see the Downtown Chicago World's Gym fill up after New Years. I saw one guy doing pull downs so violently with his back parallel to the ground at the bottom of his "jerk," that I almost said something but was too busy laughing...then he went back to work and bragged about "pumping up."

Notice the "pump junikies" RARELY do Squats, and focus on two things-->Bench and Biceps? Maybe that's what they have getaway sticks for legs! The hardcores at my gym workout before 9am (gym opens at 5:30!). You can tell b/c the squat room always smells like puke!

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You and I think alike.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
You know what, it probably would sell. Get Mens Journal to run a story about how "cool" it is, and you're all set. Now that we've turned men into women with those magazines, anything they print is gobbled up.

Yeah, you should see the Downtown Chicago World's Gym fill up after New Years. I saw one guy doing pull downs so violently with his back parallel to the ground at the bottom of his "jerk," that I almost said something but was too busy laughing...then he went back to work and bragged about "pumping up."

Notice the "pump junikies" RARELY do Squats, and focus on two things-->Bench and Biceps? Maybe that's what they have getaway sticks for legs! The hardcores at my gym workout before 9am (gym opens at 5:30!). You can tell b/c the squat room always smells like puke!
Hey give the pump junkies some credit, they use the squat rack- for wrist curls.:D

BigBadBootyDady

Awards
ok..I will call you an IDIOT.

:blink: ........its a sport called Powerlifting Brodus. Surely you have heard of Louie Simmons and the principles of westside barbell/metal militia. They are only the strongest bench pressers IN THE WORLD.

and as a matter of fact...ronnie coleman does do partials(maybe not the same way)... look at his ROM(range of motion) on his bench in the video. He never locks out untill he racks the weight. same with his incline and shoulder presses

The board press is a perfect sports specific movement for lineman that play football. When in real life do you push someone with your arms all the way back? (like in a full ROM bench press)
lineman keep their arms in front of them...and use a short ROM to push their opponent back.

the board press works your triceps to a greater degree than a regular bench press. AND It allows your cns to get accustomed to heavy weight.

and lots of peoples sticking point in their bench press is the lockout.(how many times have you seen some poor bastard stall at the top) Boardpresses help in this area.

I think I answered all of your questions.

BRODUS.......stick to cycling and running marathons. Because your lack of knowledge shows greatly when it comes to weightlifting.
Damn relax bro, most of the people that do **** like "partials" are just lazy. If you do em once and a while to fix a weak point it's one thing but most people do em cause if they went all the way down the weight wouldn't come back up. And Ronnie isn't doing partials, it's called "constant tension".

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Damn relax bro, most of the people that do **** like "partials" are just lazy. If you do em once and a while to fix a weak point it's one thing but most people do em cause if they went all the way down the weight wouldn't come back up. And Ronnie isn't doing partials, it's called "constant tension".
Coleman uses bad form. He'll never grow from training that way.:icon_lol: I actually had a guy that looked to be 115 pounds soaking wet, male model type, tell me i was training too heavy while I was repping out with 365 using strict form. He said my muscles won't respond to that kind of training. And he's a "certified" personal trainer.

BigBadBootyDady

Awards
Coleman uses bad form. He'll never grow from training that way.:icon_lol: I actually had a guy that looked to be 115 pounds soaking wet, male model type, tell me i was training too heavy while I was repping out with 365 using strict form. He said my muscles won't respond to that kind of training. And he's a "certified" personal trainer.
I had a "certified " personal trainer tell me I shouldn't use straps cause if I can't hold the weight it's too heavy. Also when doing pressing movements your arms shouldn't go below parallel at the bottom of the rep. I said that's why your that size and I'm this size. :trout: