Wish me luck! Ivan approaches

1. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.8%

Wish me luck! Ivan approaches

Guys I'm in Mobile, AL right now, been here my entire life.

Ivan is slated to make landfall right inbetween the MS and AL border; about 20 minutes drive west of where I live.

Hope it gets super weak as it comes into the gulf; or else I'll be leaving. Hope no one else is around here on this forum.

2. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

My recommendation, get the hell out.

Its not even that the damage might be huge, its that you will probably be without power and phone for a while.

I have about had it with the weather channel too. They constantly say its going to hit bascailly everywhere in Florida while indirectly running commercials for Home Depot and showing people buying form Home Depot. Its a smart business move for Home Depot for sponsoring them but they are directly playing off fears then try to say tehy are reducing prices on plywood to make it seem they are not. I don't know if people understand the markup on wood. Its ridiculous. It really irritates me.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  3. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.8%

Actually there is no wood, generators or anything like that left in the area. The local stores were already depleted from when we donated to the stores over in florida.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.43%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Bean, head up north.. I would suggest at least up to B'ham or farther up..
  5. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.33%

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    My recommendation, get the hell out.

Its not even that the damage might be huge, its that you will probably be without power and phone for a while.

I have about had it with the weather channel too. They constantly say its going to hit bascailly everywhere in Florida while indirectly running commercials for Home Depot and showing people buying form Home Depot. Its a smart business move for Home Depot for sponsoring them but they are directly playing off fears then try to say tehy are reducing prices on plywood to make it seem they are not. I don't know if people understand the markup on wood. Its ridiculous. It really irritates me.

I know how you feel. The local news stations down here in Broward county are ****ing terrible. They do whatever they can to scare the **** out of us. People have been doing crazy things around here lately.

The best was watching one of these local news guys during Frances standing on Ft. Lauderdale beach literally acting like the wind was about to blow him away. He said had to hold onto a stop sign or else he would fall over...Meanwhile in the background you see some guy walking his dog and smoking a cigarette..
  6. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.8%

here we go; supposed to start picking up at 1:00pm tomorrow afternoon... i'll prolly post again before it starts getting bad; after that i'm taking my PC downstairs
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.26%

good luck bro
  8. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.95%

Well, I'm in bham, and I'm one of the few that's lucky enough to have power and internet. Looks like Mobile didn't get slammed as hard as they initially thought they would, but the vast majority of the state is without power - close to a million people. The record before this was Opal in 95 with 500,000+ w/out power. Gulf shores and P-cola got hammered, which really sucks. I've heard the Flora-bama is gone too...Anyone else in AL with power?
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.31%

GOOD LUCK !
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.89%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Good Luck Bro. Stay Safe and Dry.
  11. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.43%

I have power but I am up in North Alabama.. so it is just now getting here..
  12. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.8%

lost power on wednesday at 10:30ish

there are lots of trees down, etc... i just now got power back earlier this morning
    everyone is fine over here; the eye shifted east and really screwed up gulf shores and orange beach; if you guys watch the videos; the BIG damage over there COULD have been here...
  13. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.43%

Hey Bean.. any reports on Ono Island? I have an aunt that had a beach house there but they evaced before everything hit.. and so far we have not heard about their house..
  14. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.8%

Ono Island is inaccessible; the bridge is screwed; the island was also completely submerged under like 15-20 feet of water...

heard from a helicopter flight that every house on the island has sustained major damage from surge and from the 150mph wind gusts... i hate to bring bad news like that; but i heard it on thursday over the radio

i saw vids from orange beach of businesses that had been ripped off their foundation and left laying in the street (or what was left of the street), couldnt see anything but a little bit of road and nothing but sand... the bay bridge right before the alabama/florida border has a 4ft dropoff at the end of it; the entire base that it was sitting on, on the east side, is washed away...

florabama is destroyed; the florabama lounge, which was almost a landmark is gone... gulf shores and far-west florida really got it bad... the eye of the hurricane went straight up highway 59... going to be a LONG time before anyone can recover from this

forgot to mention; the surge got in 1.5 miles inland before it stopped; they know this because of the salt water found that far in; the salt coating people's homes, etc it also found its way into several freshwater lakes wreaking havoc on the local ecology
  15. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.43%

Thanks Bean... I kida fiigured that was the case.. on a side note, I was just listening to Bama football and Ken Stapler was talking about his house and it was pretty damaged and it was on the Island also.
  16. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.93%

Hey Bean, Glad to hear things are good for you. I live in in Mobile too. I am glad Ivan shifted at the last minute, but sorry for those it shifted on. I spent the last four days running down generators, water, ice, cleaning up debris for family and friends.

Matthew D, I have a friend that lives on Ono Island. Those houses aren't cheap. Hope everything is OK.

Similar Forum Threads

1. wish me luck
    By The Matrix in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 11:03 AM
  2. wish me luck
    By phatkid77 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 08:34 AM
  3. wish me luck tomorrow!!!
    By BMW in forum General Chat
    Replies: 34