Just a quick poll due to boredom

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Would you rather be stronger than you look or look stronger than you are?

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would you rather be stronger than you look or look stronger than you are?
I always wanna be stronger than I am, otherwise why do it?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Lol well I look stronger than I really am and I can't say I hate it when im just walking around .it does suck when I'm in the gym and smaller guys than me are throwing up more weight than me. But I lift alot different than those guys so idk lol

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Stronger than I look though there is nothing wrong with looking stronger than you are.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
*shrug* I have strength goals I want to meet, and I'm one of those lucky guys that looks big/strong even when I'm a wuss... ALthough a lot of the guys at my Y who put up more weight than I do, have such sh*t form that I wish I was their chiropractor/doctor/etc...

ManBeast

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
lol ya i also look a lot stronger than i actually am.. i workout with a guy that i have a good 25 lbs on and hes strong as shiat haha. but i like feeling big too so i guess its just kinda even

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Look strong

jonesBones40

jonesBones40

Awards
lol ya i also look a lot stronger than i actually am.. i workout with a guy that i have a good 25 lbs on and hes strong as shiat haha. but i like feeling big too so i guess its just kinda even
Straight up, I like being big... Sure a big bench and squat are nice but if I could get huge only doing 135 on each I would

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Straight up, I like being big... Sure a big bench and squat are nice but if I could get huge only doing 135 on each I would
Wow I'm the opposite of you, don't get me wrong I like looking big, but I get all my satisfaction in the gym by breaking my PRs on the big 3 lifts.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And to look Big but only able to bench 135?? Call it Pride/Ego but I'd be Mortified. I mean my wife could probably bench that. And there's no way I'm gonna be benching the same as my wife. Not in this lifetime.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I used to work with a dude who was an ex-gymnast... he was tiny but his strength/weight ratio was incredible...

ManBeast

jonesBones40

jonesBones40

Awards
And to look Big but only able to bench 135?? Call it Pride/Ego but I'd be Mortified. I mean my wife could probably bench that. And there's no way I'm gonna be benching the same as my wife. Not in this lifetime.

Ok that was a mild exaggeration haha

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
look stronger for sure....if i could look like dexter jackson but my max bench was 135lbs...i'd be more than happy with that

on the other hand looking like some of these strong men, who have beer guts and look like they have trouble getting off the couch but somehow put up crazy weights.....i'll pass on that

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
look stronger for sure....if i could look like dexter jackson but my max bench was 135lbs...i'd be more than happy with /QUOTE]

So then you should get some pec implants some calf implants buy some synthol and start benching your 135. Lmfao

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
look stronger for sure....if i could look like dexter jackson but my max bench was 135lbs...i'd be more than happy with /QUOTE]

So then you should get some pec implants some calf implants buy some synthol and start benching your 135. Lmfao

ok ok, i'd rather look like layne norton than many strong men

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Im kinda leaning more towards looks now. Im realizing BBers and PLers look drastically different lol

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I had to pick, I'd rather look the part.

I imagine that's what separates the mentality of a bodybuilder and a powerlifter (to some extent).

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I had to pick, I'd rather look the part.

I imagine that's what separates the mentality of a bodybuilder and a powerlifter (to some extent).
And real from fake. You want to look like something that your not. Basically pretending.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And real from fake. You want to look like something that your not. Basically pretending.

lol, well most BBers have strength that's relative to their appearance. I wouldn't go so far as to say fake, based on that. However, if lifting something half the weight and squeezing out the reps results in a better looking muscle than lifting twice as much for one rep; then yeah, I know what I'm going to be doing.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol, well most BBers have strength that's relative to their appearance. I wouldn't go so far as to say fake, based on that. However, if lifting something half the weight and squeezing out the reps results in a better looking muscle than lifting twice as much for one rep; then yeah, I know what I'm going to be doing.
lol yeah I think most bodybuilders are just about as strong as they look. But OPs question was would you rather look stronger than you really are.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I think Im happy somewhere in between with no label. Just a gnarly lookin pipe hitter.

jonesBones40

jonesBones40

Awards
Exactly you have to lift less weight for more reps to get bigger

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Exactly you have to lift less weight for more reps to get bigger
You can get pretty big lifting heavy as well. Someone who can bench 500lbs and squat 700lbs Is probably not going to be all that small.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Id rather look stronger than I am. That said I wouldnt want to be a complete bitch in the weight room.

jared767

Awards
I look stronger than I am, although I want to be stronger than what I look

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Ok so to all who answered they wanna be stronger than they look explain why

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok so to all who answered they wanna be stronger than they look explain why
Because it's like buying a big house that you can't afford so you can pretend to all your neighbors/friends that you are loaded with money that you're clearly not. It's phoney. IMO:rofl:

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Very good analogy but whats your goals for working out? Is it to look your best or to be as strong as possible?

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Aesthetics for me all day. It's not like I plan on breaking into the monkey enclosure to arm wrestle a chimp. Then again I always wanted a pet monkey.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Lol you guys and your analogies. Thats my thoughts on it what are u gonna use all that strength for outside of the gym

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very good analogy but whats your goals for working out? Is it to look your best or to be as strong as possible?
Don't get me wrong I like walking around bigger than your average joe, i like being big. But I love hitting the gym to break my pr's. I'm always striving to get stronger that's what makes me tick I guess. And there's nothing wrong with wanting to get bigger, I mean that's why most of us started lifting in the first place. But to say you want to look stronger than you actually are just seems like you're trying to pretend like you're something that you're not. Like trying to look like you're richer than you really are, or smarter. If you want to be stronger, THAN DO IT and really make yourself stronger. IMHO

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
8 years ago I think i was stronger then I look at 175 lbs but as I get older and have had injuries, surgeries and old wear and tear set in I most likely look stronger then I am now at about 230lbs and 34. I put on mass and weight easier then before and my lifting weight has gone up in some areas like bench,deads and others while it's gone down in stuff like squats and shoulders and other leg stuff. My legs are strong when they need to be but pushing them hard in the gym only leads to knee and foot problems reoccurring and its counterproductive to me. Same with directly pushing my shoulders. It bums me cus shoulders was my favorite lift. Maybe I'm just doubting myself since everyone has to deal with injury and weak spots at some time. Its kinds hard to tell by looking who actually is stronger then they lift or whether they're just lifting to what they need to be strong as fuk when they actually need it and just maintaining activity in the muscle groups to keep from losing it.

trainwcristi

trainwcristi

Awards
Cause if you only look strong that shows nothing really cause you only LOOK strong but if your stronger than you'll look it doesn't have to mean your not muscular in anyway it simply means despite the muscle or non muscle your stronger than what's seen to the eye

Cadack

Cadack

Awards
Don't get me wrong I like walking around bigger than your average joe, i like being big. But I love hitting the gym to break my pr's. I'm always striving to get stronger that's what makes me tick I guess. And there's nothing wrong with wanting to get bigger, I mean that's why most of us started lifting in the first place. But to say you want to look stronger than you actually are just seems like you're trying to pretend like you're something that you're not. Like trying to look like you're richer than you really are, or smarter. If you want to be stronger, THAN DO IT and really make yourself stronger. IMHO
^^^^^^^this

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
^^^^ I agree with that as well. I probably wouldn't bother lifting if I didn't feel like I was trying to push myself. Be damn boring