Need advice on a career change

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I'll make this is short as possible. I'm going to be 33 in April and i am tired of doing the job i am doing. I have been involved in the LTL/Transportation industry for almost 10 years and i am just burned out, and no longer wish to continue any longer than i have too.

I have never been back to school for higher learning, but no longer see any options or ways around this anymore. My issue is finding something worthwhile to actually learn and make a living from. I almost think i need to take an apptitude test of sorts to figure out what my strengths and weaknesses are, but at this point i am just rambling on.....suggestions please.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Go be a fireman bro you'll love the job plus u get tons of time off to work out more :}

airram479

Awards
  • Established
Taking care of people isn't something i'm built for.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Finding a job at this time is hard

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im with ya man. Im turning 30 this week and have been banging metal(tin knocker) since I was 19...Ughh....Burnt out ain the word.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
Behind the scenes...? Would you like to elaborate? Anything is worth exploring right now.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
This is a common problem regardless of the career you get. I have six figure job working from home setting my own hours and I feel burnt out and looking for a change.

It really depends on your income goals and existing experience. Top of my head I would think of Radiology, no need to take care of anyone yet plenty of interaction. Cosmotology is another field, but it is not for everyone. Requires a year study, income around 30-40K working 30hrs a week, but not many guys like it. Mechanical Engineering or something in that field could also be an option.

You need a career that will not require years of experience and would hide new grads based on state certification.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You live in Denver? Bro the front range's energy industry is exploding. Almost every major oilfield service company is hiring right now, as well as a lot of the natural gas companies.

Halliburton, Anadarko, Schlumberger, DCP Midstream, Baker Hughes...I could go on but you get the idea. I work for a large pipeline company, and have been in the energy industry for 6 years (I'm 36) and wouldn't do anything else. Great pay, unequalled benefits, fantastic job security and I freakin love my job.

As an aside, I live in SE Aurora and work in Commerce City...where you at?

airram479

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, i know right where it's at. I live just north on Yosemite maybe 3-4 miles from that joint.....good breakfast over there!

Eberly

Banned
Awards
This is a common problem regardless of the career you get. I have six figure job working from home setting my own hours and I feel burnt out and looking for a change.

It really depends on your income goals and existing experience. Top of my head I would think of Radiology, no need to take care of anyone yet plenty of interaction. Cosmotology is another field, but it is not for everyone. Requires a year study, income around 30-40K working 30hrs a week, but not many guys like it. Mechanical Engineering or something in that field could also be an option.

You need a career that will not require years of experience and would hide new grads based on state certification.
Yeah absolutely.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Military. You will never regret it.

'Nuff said.

Don't let anyone say that you are too old to attend Basic or any of the hooah schools. I saw plenty of older guys in training when I was a young'un. Hell, most of our immediate post-9/11 recruits were older folks who got the patriotic spirit later in life. At least several in my company were in their mid to late 30s.

MuscleMD

MuscleMD

Awards
Behind the scenes in healthcare are things like CT/Ultrasound/Xray technicians. You can get certified in a year, high in demand jobs and they pay pretty nice as well.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Well...I am a Lead at a warehouse now, at 25 years old. But I finally decided to go back to school for 7 years to get a BA in excercise science and then turn that into a Doctorate in Physical Therapy.

Just gotta dig in and do what you want.

BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Behind the scenes in healthcare are things like CT/Ultrasound/Xray technicians. You can get certified in a year, high in demand jobs and they pay pretty nice as well.
This. The population is getting older at a rapid pace and the healthcare jobs are going to continue to grow for many years to come. Seeing as how most of us are already dabbling in bio and anatomy in out spare time (working out, supplementation, even PH use and recovery), it shouldn't be a stretch.....

dpk20x

Awards
I wish I could become a certified X ray tech in only one year but I'm pretty sure state of Massachusetts requires an associates degree. Need to talk to my local community college someday and find out if they offer night courses

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I wish I could become a certified X ray tech in only one year but I'm pretty sure state of Massachusetts requires an associates degree. Need to talk to my local community college someday and find out if they offer night courses
Night/online courses. Getting an associats of science/arts degree is amazing because its essentially the first half of any related BA degree.

You can have an associates of arts, and then get one bachelors degree, then go for another one and still have the first 2 years covered.

Honestly the way I am doing it is the longer you are in school, the easier it is to get each degree because you already have some of the classes/prequisites.

I will probably be in and out of college me whole life simply because...I like it.

And you got to admit...it will be Boss when you hit 50 and have maybe 4-7 degrees under your belt.

In 7 years I will have an associates, a bachelors, a doctorate, and two national certifications.

If I stay where I work that entire time(Very possible now that I am in a spot I like) I will have 9 years logged in at one place.

That = one helluva resume.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Any luck?