Making new friends at the gym

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I recently moved to New York from New Jersey and know virtually no one. Seeing how I surround myself with the fitness/workout lifestyle I would like to find friends with similar interests and activities.

I'm very VERY social and outgoing. Meeting people and starting conversation isn't the hard part. I wanna know what you think to be an acceptable level of socializing and approach to both guys and girls without being a dick and interrupting. We're all there for a reason, myself included.

Just trying to create a new circle of friends in the most considerate way possible.

CaseyW

CaseyW

Awards
Make friends at work or school or look for a softball team or sport, randomly talking to other guys at the gym trying to make friends seems a bit odd....to me.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Make a comment about the logo on their shaker cup.
Ask them what they're drinking.
Tell em you're new in town and if there are any supp stores close by or something.
I honestly can't even remember how I started talking to some of the guys I lift with. It just happened.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Just start by saying "hi" and making small talk a few times before you ask people to hang out with you. It's not as creepy as people who who you've known for 15 minutes want to hang out and be BFF.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Grab some 30's and get a good pump on next to some dude while he's dead lifting. As soon as he's done, stop at the top of your curl, hold the squeeze, and look at him over your shoulder and say "nice work bro, you wanna go grab some steak after this?"
If there are 50 dudes at your gym and you ask them all, one of them will probably say yes.

No but seriously, I actually cross my fingers that some of the guys in my gym will want to be bros, just don't have the balls to walk up and risk the creepiness of askin them on a bro date lol.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
5 years ago when I got my first apartment 45 miles alway from my home town I started training at a new gym. I knew NO ONE i this new area. I trained at this gym for about 3 month without really talking to anyone (it's a massive commercial gym). Anyway, one leg day I was doing front squats 315 for sets of 10 when the biggest dude in the gym came over and introduced himself. He expressed his feeling of hatred for people who do half rep squats. We got to talking about lifting, body building and chiropractors.

5 years later and this guy is my best friend and probable one of my only true friends. He will be the best man at my wedding to! I since joined a new gym but we still talk everyday.

Moral of the story. Have a strong front squat and freakishly huge legs and people will want to be your friend.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
5 years ago when I got my first apartment 45 miles alway from my home town I started training at a new gym. I knew NO ONE i this new area. I trained at this gym for about 3 month without really talking to anyone (it's a massive commercial gym). Anyway, one leg day I was doing front squats 315 for sets of 10 when the biggest dude in the gym came over and introduced himself. He expressed his feeling of hatred for people who do half rep squats. We got to talking about lifting, body building and chiropractors.

5 years later and this guy is my best friend and probable one of my only true friends. He will be the best man at my wedding to! I since joined a new gym but we still talk everyday.

Moral of the story. Have a strong front squat and freakishly huge legs and people will want to be your friend.
One hell of a story.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Me moving and where Im from is a good introductory topic to start. I try not to focus on negative topics like some guys half-assed squats. Right now Im full of questions like finding a good supp store.