Career Update: USMC Recon Corpsman... "SARC"

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
"SARC" stands for Special Amphibious Reconnaisance Corpsman.... In simpler terms...
SARC RESPONSIBILITIES

The following is a summary of the job description for Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman as stated in the Navy Enlisted CANTRAC: SARC personnel will provide medical and operational services for Fleet Marine Force Reconnaissance personnel engaged in direct action and reconnaissance operations independently of a medical officer. They perform patient care as well as associated operational administrative and logistical duties. SARC personnel perform clinical diagnostics, advanced paramedical skills (EMT-Paramedic), Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), nursing, basic anesthesia, basic dental exams and emergency medical health care procedures as required. SARC personnel must instruct and provide advice for operational personnel in measures of prevention of illness and treatment of injuries associated with swimming, open and closed circuit SCUBA diving, military free fall and amphibious operation. They must perform duties using open and closed circuit SCUBA in direct support of the Fleet Marine Force Reconnaissance Units. SARC personnel will conduct underwater searches to include detailed ship-bottom searches. SARC personnel will inspect and maintain SCUBA and related equipment. SARC personnel must know the laws of diving and gas physics. they understand the theory and practice of decompression and the use of decompression tables. SARC personnel perform duties as hyperbaric chamber operators. SARC personnel must recognize all types of illness associated with open and closed SCUBA diving to include oxygen and carbon dioxide toxicity, nitrogen narcosis, type I, type II decompression sickness and air gas embolism (AGE). They enter the chamber as inside tenders to care for patients suffering from decompression sickness as well as other conditions requiring hyperbaric treatment. Finally, SARC personnel supply health care as a non-physician health care provider when assigned to a fixed medical treatment facilities.

A SARC is one of the most badass combat medics in the world. they do the same training as Air Force Para-rescue Jumpers (PJ's), SEAL medics... all Spec Ops medics go through a training course called SOCM 18Dhttp://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=33 .

I will be going to Basic Recon School (Coronado, CA), Dive School (Panama City, FL), Amphibious Recon Corpsman School (Panama City, FL), Jump School (Ft. Benning, GA), and then finally SOCM 18D (Fort Bragg, NC)...all this training will be taking place over the next 13-18 months of my Naval career...

gotta go... later :twisted:

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Congrats bro! You are making all of us proud.

ManBeast

jerickg

Awards
how do you get picked up for SARC exactly?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
So then do you deploy with the marine Force Recon?

Congrats. I would love to participate in such an extreme and honored position.

dieselmatt

Awards
Good luck! Its a TOUGH training program to go through. I know 10 people that have failed out.