Kindle Fire

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Question Kindle Fire


    Anyone own one or know about their capability. I know it's WiFi and not G3 which is why I am considering it so I don't have to also pay monthly for a digital data plan. I'm interested in know how versatile the web browser is for general web browsing and things like Facebook. Its for my 10yo kid.

    Personal user feedback is most valuable.

    Thank you in advance!
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...

  2. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    the kindle fire is the best value in hardware for the price, but the web browser speed is iffy and the way they lock down the android system only makes it worthwhile if you install things from outside of amazon's control on it. Since they limit your app market, you have to use a bit more arcane tricks to load things.

    But i'm getting one for my 15 year old for christmas
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum
  3. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Thank you sir!
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...
    •   
       


  4. I heard it got some pretty nasty reviews regarding glitches and such.
    My mom has the Nook color, and plugged some sd card into it that turns it into a tablet. I have played with it and am very impressed.
    No personal experience with the Fire though sorry.
  5. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser
    Thank you sir!
    if you get one and want some help to install minimally the regular marketplace let me know
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  6. I am going to say this typing from my iPad... Lol. I've played with my neighbors fire and liked it well enough. For the price and considering its for a 10 y/o I'd say it's pretty much a no brainier. I sure as hell ain't giving my 10 year old an expensive azz iPad lol
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  7. Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    I am going to say this typing from my iPad... Lol. I've played with my neighbors fire and liked it well enough. For the price and considering its for a 10 y/o I'd say it's pretty much a no brainier. I sure as hell ain't giving my 10 year old an expensive azz iPad lol
    Ipad mini should be coming out next year to compete with these smaller products out now.
    나는 2000년 10월 매들린 올브라이트 전 미 국무장관 매들린 사랑, 그 중 한 뜨거운 젠장!

  8. Quote Originally Posted by ax1

    Ipad mini should be coming out next year to compete with these smaller products out now.
    IMO apple makes far superior products (as I type this on my iPad). When the time comes for my daughter toned a tablet, it will no doubt be an iPad.
    TEAM GET DIESEL

    GET DIESEL NUTRITION | SINCE 2002 | GETDIESEL.COM
    Like us on Facebook: GET DIESEL Facebook Page

  9. Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    IMO apple makes far superior products (as I type this on my iPad). When the time comes for my daughter toned a tablet, it will no doubt be an iPad.
    I finally picked up a iphone, I cannot believe how useful this is.

    When I go shopping I can use the camera to scan the barcode with a Amazon app to instantly bring up item reviews and online prices.

    I may get that mini when it comes out. Also cant wait for the iphone 5 to come out, my wife has a 4S, I settled with a 3GS that I bought online (and runs IOS5 and works very well) due to the fact that I want my upgrade option to be open when the Iphone 5 comes out.
    나는 2000년 10월 매들린 올브라이트 전 미 국무장관 매들린 사랑, 그 중 한 뜨거운 젠장!

  10. i think is its 2 gig with cloud storage for the rest. (but only things you buy from amazon) seems like a nice idea, but i am waiting for v2 of it i think
  11. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    This is a $200 piece of hardware that more than fills the social and entertainment needs of my 10yo daughter. When I invest in a piece of equipment for her academics it will certainly be a much more versatile product with a price comensurate.

    I handled the Kindle Fire last night. Sweet piece of equipment. The tech relieve my concerns regarding our application needs. It will most likely be purchased.
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    This is a $200 piece of hardware that more than fills the social and entertainment needs of my 10yo daughter. When I invest in a piece of equipment for her academics it will certainly be a much more versatile product with a price comensurate.

    I handled the Kindle Fire last night. Sweet piece of equipment. The tech relieve my concerns regarding our application needs. It will most likely be purchased.
    Your little girl will be very happy come Christmas time. As an aside, the iPad can be purchased without the 3G capabilities as well. Usually comes at a lower cost.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!



  13. Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns

    Your little girl will be very happy come Christmas time. As an aside, the iPad can be purchased without the 3G capabilities as well. Usually comes at a lower cost.
    But not a price tag of 200 bucks. More like double that
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  14. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Just got back from a lunch break Best Buy run. They tell me that the entire state of Arizona may be out of stock on them. I am hoping he was implying Best Buy and not all retailers.
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...
  15. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...

  16. Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    But not a price tag of 200 bucks. More like double that
    Kindle Fire is subsidized, Im not positive but they either make very little or possible lose money with every unit. The goal here is to make money off ebooks and software. Kindle Fire truly is a good deal but its harder to hack compared to the Nook ($250) which offers external memory slot (another advantage, memory is always good).

    8GB goes quick, without a additional memory slot...although it should be fine for most people if your not going to be putting movies on the system.
    나는 2000년 10월 매들린 올브라이트 전 미 국무장관 매들린 사랑, 그 중 한 뜨거운 젠장!

  17. This is a sick deal, worth looking into....includes 4G data capabilities and a mega 32GB hard drive. 1.5Ghz processor with 1GB Ram = $239, no tax (in most states) and free shipping.

    http://www.icemonkey.com/htc-evo-vie...-gps-and-wi-fi
    나는 2000년 10월 매들린 올브라이트 전 미 국무장관 매들린 사랑, 그 중 한 뜨거운 젠장!

  18. i believe they lose a buck or two with each one they sell, if I remember correctly.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by ax1

    Kindle Fire is subsidized, Im not positive but they either make very little or possible lose money with every unit. The goal here is to make money off ebooks and software. Kindle Fire truly is a good deal but its harder to hack compared to the Nook ($250) which offers external memory slot (another advantage, memory is always good).

    8GB goes quick, without a additional memory slot...although it should be fine for most people if your not going to be putting movies on the system.
    You can put Ubuntu lite (Linux distro) on both the nook and fire now.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  20. rooting them will be a pain with the new update Amazon is sending out at least it will be harder than just the one click one that you can use now. at least the upgrade makes everything run better
  21. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser
    Just got back from a lunch break Best Buy run. They tell me that the entire state of Arizona may be out of stock on them. I am hoping he was implying Best Buy and not all retailers.
    Try Walmart
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  22. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL

    Try Walmart
    Or order online maybe
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  23. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Yep, Walmart it is - in stock!
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...

  24. Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    But not a price tag of 200 bucks. More like double that
    Yep, just pointing that out for future references. Though if you look around you can probably get a pretty good deal on any ipad 1's that may still be out and about. The 16gb were running for around 300 or so a few months back when the 2's were hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Or order online maybe
    Amazon. My number one store of choice.

    http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Color-M...4403962&sr=8-5
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!


  25. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Thanks for all your support and feedback. I went on-line at Walmart and it was ready for pick-up in my store of choice with 4 hours.

    I am looking forward to using it myself. I really liked it. I can see how someone could get the tablet buzz real easy with these things.

    Thanks again.

    Merry Christmas!
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...
  26. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Quick update.

    Upgraded my LAN router to a WiFi/LAN router and set-up security.

    Turned on the Kindle Fire. Good to go right out of the box.

    Instant active web browsing - FaceBook, Anabolicminds, Google...etc.

    Amazon registration was skipped and will need to be fulfilled in order to access their site for downloads of books, music, videos, etc.

    FYI, Amazon has worked out a deal with the public libraries for free downloads of library e-books.

    Sleek and sweet piece of hardware.

    Santa did good this year
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...

  27. Good to hear, I was playing around with it at the store the other day its really a nice unit.
    나는 2000년 10월 매들린 올브라이트 전 미 국무장관 매들린 사랑, 그 중 한 뜨거운 젠장!

  28. Glad to hear it hm. I hear there is a software update coming too, which is typically a good thing.
    TEAM GET DIESEL

    GET DIESEL NUTRITION | SINCE 2002 | GETDIESEL.COM
    Like us on Facebook: GET DIESEL Facebook Page
  29. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    picked up one for my daughter today, should be fun
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum
  30. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    Glad to hear it hm. I hear there is a software update coming too, which is typically a good thing.
    You are correct. Kindle Software Update Version 6.2.1

    Before I repackaged and wrapped it I did not look to see the current version on the unit. We'll see when Dad gets to play with it.
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...

  31. Does the udate take care of the bugs people had been having with them?
  32. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Just checking in with my new Kindle Fire!

    An additional usb cord sold seperately is required to download the upgrade. Unit is loaded with 6.1 and will upgrade to 6.2.1 ASAP. Could not tell you about bugs at this time as we are obviously new users. This touch keyboard with auto-fill is pretty responsive.

    Merry Christmas!
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...

  33. Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser
    Just checking in with my new Kindle Fire!

    An additional usb cord sold seperately is required to download the upgrade. Unit is loaded with 6.1 and will upgrade to 6.2.1 ASAP. Could not tell you about bugs at this time as we are obviously new users. This touch keyboard with auto-fill is pretty responsive.

    Merry Christmas!
    Wait.... I thought this was suppose to be your daughter's. Lol
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!


  34. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Yeah. I'll be going tablet soon
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...
  35. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    I'm happy to hear you're happy with it!

    I actually just sold a brand new Fire, today, because I received it as a gift and already had an iPad. All the women in my office love theirs, though. It's pretty nice for its size and price point.

    I'm looking forward to hearing more updates from you after using it for a while (you'll have to give this thread a little bump in a few weeks).
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | Inspire to Evolve
    AnabolicMinds Rep

  36. Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    Yeah. I'll be going tablet soon
    What are you looking at?
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!


  37. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    I'm using the fire and liking it. So far it plenty usefully as a browser. I tried to set up the email earlier. I'll need to play with it some more. For $200 this is quite potent. BTW - you don't see a footer or sig to my post telling you "posted with Kindle Fire?"
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...

  38. Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser
    I'm using the fire and liking it. So far it plenty usefully as a browser. I tried to set up the email earlier. I'll need to play with it some more. For $200 this is quite potent. BTW - you don't see a footer or sig to my post telling you "posted with Kindle Fire?"
    Nope. All clear.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!


  39. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Thanks!

    pop3 email account set-up complete
    Look at all these little kids takin' care of the music biz don't their bus'ness take good care of me...

  40. Well....my daughter will be celebrating her 9th birthday within the next 10 days and decided that she wanted a Fire for her birthday since she would not have a party. We went to target and tried it in comparison to the Nook. We decided that the fire offered more options. She also got a $25 gift card which has already been put to use for games, books, and music.

    For a $200 device, it does what it needs to, and provides her a lot of options. Quite impressive for the price
    TEAM GET DIESEL

    GET DIESEL NUTRITION | SINCE 2002 | GETDIESEL.COM
    Like us on Facebook: GET DIESEL Facebook Page
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 09:49 AM
  2. How to put out a fire
    By liquid in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 06:35 PM
  3. Big Oil Under Fire
    By BigVrunga in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 09:08 PM
  4. ATD under fire from FDA
    By jagger81 in forum Advanced Muscle Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-16-2009, 12:10 PM
  5. Sure Fire Sex Solution!!!
    By Beau in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Log in
Log in