Kindle Fire

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone own one or know about their capability. I know it's WiFi and not G3 which is why I am considering it so I don't have to also pay monthly for a digital data plan. I'm interested in know how versatile the web browser is for general web browsing and things like Facebook. Its for my 10yo kid.

Personal user feedback is most valuable.

Thank you in advance!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the kindle fire is the best value in hardware for the price, but the web browser speed is iffy and the way they lock down the android system only makes it worthwhile if you install things from outside of amazon's control on it. Since they limit your app market, you have to use a bit more arcane tricks to load things.

But i'm getting one for my 15 year old for christmas

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I heard it got some pretty nasty reviews regarding glitches and such.
My mom has the Nook color, and plugged some sd card into it that turns it into a tablet. I have played with it and am very impressed.
No personal experience with the Fire though sorry.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am going to say this typing from my iPad... Lol. I've played with my neighbors fire and liked it well enough. For the price and considering its for a 10 y/o I'd say it's pretty much a no brainier. I sure as hell ain't giving my 10 year old an expensive azz iPad lol

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am going to say this typing from my iPad... Lol. I've played with my neighbors fire and liked it well enough. For the price and considering its for a 10 y/o I'd say it's pretty much a no brainier. I sure as hell ain't giving my 10 year old an expensive azz iPad lol
Ipad mini should be coming out next year to compete with these smaller products out now.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ipad mini should be coming out next year to compete with these smaller products out now.
IMO apple makes far superior products (as I type this on my iPad). When the time comes for my daughter toned a tablet, it will no doubt be an iPad.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO apple makes far superior products (as I type this on my iPad). When the time comes for my daughter toned a tablet, it will no doubt be an iPad.
I finally picked up a iphone, I cannot believe how useful this is.

When I go shopping I can use the camera to scan the barcode with a Amazon app to instantly bring up item reviews and online prices.

I may get that mini when it comes out. Also cant wait for the iphone 5 to come out, my wife has a 4S, I settled with a 3GS that I bought online (and runs IOS5 and works very well) due to the fact that I want my upgrade option to be open when the Iphone 5 comes out.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
i think is its 2 gig with cloud storage for the rest. (but only things you buy from amazon) seems like a nice idea, but i am waiting for v2 of it i think :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is a $200 piece of hardware that more than fills the social and entertainment needs of my 10yo daughter. When I invest in a piece of equipment for her academics it will certainly be a much more versatile product with a price comensurate.

I handled the Kindle Fire last night. Sweet piece of equipment. The tech relieve my concerns regarding our application needs. It will most likely be purchased.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is a $200 piece of hardware that more than fills the social and entertainment needs of my 10yo daughter. When I invest in a piece of equipment for her academics it will certainly be a much more versatile product with a price comensurate.

I handled the Kindle Fire last night. Sweet piece of equipment. The tech relieve my concerns regarding our application needs. It will most likely be purchased.
Your little girl will be very happy come Christmas time. As an aside, the iPad can be purchased without the 3G capabilities as well. Usually comes at a lower cost.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your little girl will be very happy come Christmas time. As an aside, the iPad can be purchased without the 3G capabilities as well. Usually comes at a lower cost.
But not a price tag of 200 bucks. More like double that

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just got back from a lunch break Best Buy run. They tell me that the entire state of Arizona may be out of stock on them. I am hoping he was implying Best Buy and not all retailers.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kindle Fire is subsidized, Im not positive but they either make very little or possible lose money with every unit. The goal here is to make money off ebooks and software. Kindle Fire truly is a good deal but its harder to hack compared to the Nook ($250) which offers external memory slot (another advantage, memory is always good).

8GB goes quick, without a additional memory slot...although it should be fine for most people if your not going to be putting movies on the system.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
i believe they lose a buck or two with each one they sell, if I remember correctly.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kindle Fire is subsidized, Im not positive but they either make very little or possible lose money with every unit. The goal here is to make money off ebooks and software. Kindle Fire truly is a good deal but its harder to hack compared to the Nook ($250) which offers external memory slot (another advantage, memory is always good).

8GB goes quick, without a additional memory slot...although it should be fine for most people if your not going to be putting movies on the system.
You can put Ubuntu lite (Linux distro) on both the nook and fire now.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
rooting them will be a pain with the new update Amazon is sending out :( at least it will be harder than just the one click one that you can use now. at least the upgrade makes everything run better :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just got back from a lunch break Best Buy run. They tell me that the entire state of Arizona may be out of stock on them. I am hoping he was implying Best Buy and not all retailers.
Try Walmart

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep, just pointing that out for future references. Though if you look around you can probably get a pretty good deal on any ipad 1's that may still be out and about. The 16gb were running for around 300 or so a few months back when the 2's were hot.
Or order online maybe
Amazon. My number one store of choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Color-Multi-touch-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B0051VVOB2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1324403962&sr=8-5

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for all your support and feedback. I went on-line at Walmart and it was ready for pick-up in my store of choice with 4 hours.

I am looking forward to using it myself. I really liked it. I can see how someone could get the tablet buzz real easy with these things.

Thanks again.

Merry Christmas!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Quick update.

Upgraded my LAN router to a WiFi/LAN router and set-up security.

Turned on the Kindle Fire. Good to go right out of the box.

Instant active web browsing - FaceBook, Anabolicminds, Google...etc.

Amazon registration was skipped and will need to be fulfilled in order to access their site for downloads of books, music, videos, etc.

FYI, Amazon has worked out a deal with the public libraries for free downloads of library e-books.

Sleek and sweet piece of hardware.

Santa did good this year :D

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good to hear, I was playing around with it at the store the other day its really a nice unit.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glad to hear it hm. I hear there is a software update coming too, which is typically a good thing.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
picked up one for my daughter today, should be fun :)

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does the udate take care of the bugs people had been having with them?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just checking in with my new Kindle Fire! :D

An additional usb cord sold seperately is required to download the upgrade. Unit is loaded with 6.1 and will upgrade to 6.2.1 ASAP. Could not tell you about bugs at this time as we are obviously new users. This touch keyboard with auto-fill is pretty responsive.

Merry Christmas!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just checking in with my new Kindle Fire! :D

An additional usb cord sold seperately is required to download the upgrade. Unit is loaded with 6.1 and will upgrade to 6.2.1 ASAP. Could not tell you about bugs at this time as we are obviously new users. This touch keyboard with auto-fill is pretty responsive.

Merry Christmas!
Wait.... I thought this was suppose to be your daughter's. Lol

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm happy to hear you're happy with it!

I actually just sold a brand new Fire, today, because I received it as a gift and already had an iPad. All the women in my office love theirs, though. It's pretty nice for its size and price point.

I'm looking forward to hearing more updates from you after using it for a while (you'll have to give this thread a little bump in a few weeks).

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm using the fire and liking it. So far it plenty usefully as a browser. I tried to set up the email earlier. I'll need to play with it some more. For $200 this is quite potent. BTW - you don't see a footer or sig to my post telling you "posted with Kindle Fire?"

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm using the fire and liking it. So far it plenty usefully as a browser. I tried to set up the email earlier. I'll need to play with it some more. For $200 this is quite potent. BTW - you don't see a footer or sig to my post telling you "posted with Kindle Fire?"
Nope. All clear.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well....my daughter will be celebrating her 9th birthday within the next 10 days and decided that she wanted a Fire for her birthday since she would not have a party. We went to target and tried it in comparison to the Nook. We decided that the fire offered more options. She also got a $25 gift card which has already been put to use for games, books, and music.

For a $200 device, it does what it needs to, and provides her a lot of options. Quite impressive for the price

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good for you both.

It has turned out to be plenty capable, reliable and very well worth the cost.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys know the nook color is hackable right? You can change the OS and basically have a tablet