How many meals vs. shakes? - AnabolicMinds.com

How many meals vs. shakes?

1. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

How many meals vs. shakes?

I wanted to take a poll to see how many meals vs. Shakes/bars you take in to meat your goals?

Me I usually have about 2 shakes a day and 2-3 food meals.

I work crazy hours early mornings and late nights so it's tough sometime what about you guys?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

It depends on my schedule but I usually get 3 meals and 2 shakes. I can get 4-5 meals on weekends but not during the work week.
  3. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Warrior
    It depends on my schedule but I usually get 3 meals and 2 shakes. I can get 4-5 meals on weekends but not during the work week.
    What does ya 3 meals consist of?
    And are u using meal replacement shakes or gainers or just whey protein shakes
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Weekdays about 3 shakes and 3 meals
    Weekends is sometimes the same if not more shakes and bars because I'm either at the beach or out and about and really can't get a good meal in.

During my work week I do the following
    330am pre workout toast and bananas
    6am shake post workout
    8-9 meal
    11-12 shake and bar or fruits
    2-3 meal
    5-6 meal
    Before bed around 8-9 shake
  5. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagged01
    Weekdays about 3 shakes and 3 meals
    Weekends is sometimes the same if not more shakes and bars because I'm either at the beach or out and about and really can't get a good meal in.

During my work week I do the following
    330am pre workout toast and bananas
    6am shake post workout
    8-9 meal
    11-12 shake and bar or fruits
    2-3 meal
    5-6 meal
    Before bed around 8-9 shake
    What are eating for your meals typically? Are they larger or on the smaller side?
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  6. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Real men eat their meals, not drink them . I usually get 5/day mainly some turkey burgers, egg whites, boiled eggs, tender loin, fruit, chicken sandwiches, sweet potato's etc. A lot of whole foods are easily made to be portable if you just think about it. Throw in a couple sandwiches, some boiled eggs, yogurt and a couple pieces of fruit or sweet potato's into a thermacooler and you set.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  212 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

anything is possible with only a lil preparation... whole foods beat out shakes any day....

on a reg day all I have is one shake immediately post workout only for the nutritional value and ability to provide my muscles with instant protein for muscle building from whey...

Only other time I will incorporate a second shake is when it turns into a full blown 2000 cal meal (breakfast) from additional oats, pb, banana, eggs and milk.... and is done only when bulking.
    iForceHemavol=He-man?-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/187487-hemavol-heman-doughs.htmlCompound 20 Beta log-http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/185396-molding-dough-compound.html
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns View Post
    Real men eat their meals, not drink them . I usually get 5/day mainly some turkey burgers, egg whites, boiled eggs, tender loin, fruit, chicken sandwiches, sweet potato's etc. A lot of whole foods are easily made to be portable if you just think about it. Throw in a couple sandwiches, some boiled eggs, yogurt and a couple pieces of fruit or sweet potato's into a thermacooler and you set.
    some good stuff right there.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  9. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

I'm gone from home 10 hours a day and I'm salesman so eating in front of someone just ain't going to happen I'm lucky to get in 3 meals
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  10. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    I'm gone from home 10 hours a day and I'm salesman so eating in front of someone just ain't going to happen I'm lucky to get in 3 meals
    You are in your car a lot. Perfect time to crack open the ol' thermo and grab a snack. If your boss is riding along with you, bring something for him too
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

11. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns

You are in your car a lot. Perfect time to crack open the ol' thermo and grab a snack. If your boss is riding along with you, bring something for him too
    Boss hates me that's part of the reason why I can't do it lol. I work in a building though lol. You're right enough excuses I'm get it going with at least 1 extra meal at least some turkey and yogurt

The only thing I'm having trouble is I always forget the little meals... I'm thinking a meal is some meat and a carb or veggie when I guess I can be a fruit yogurt and cold cuts...

Maybe I need some small meal ideas.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  12. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Doesn't matter. Drink none, drink 5, whatever. Get your food in, day in and day out, for years on end.
  13. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds
    Doesn't matter. Drink none, drink 5, whatever. Get your food in, day in and day out, for years on end.
    Thanks Frank....
    Saying it doesn't matter if it's liquid or something I'm chewing on?
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  14. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Thanks Frank....
    Saying it doesn't matter if it's liquid or something I'm chewing on?
    I am saying do whatever you have to do, in your life, to get in your calories/macros, etc. If you can eat all your food in whole food great, if you need to consume 2-3 shakes then do it. Everyone is different in how they can handle food prep, eating the same ****, etc. You are better off getting your calories in, consistently, then missing a meal, or three a week for one reason or another.

If you are one of the people who subscribes to having to eat 6-7 meals a day, doing that consistently year, after year, can be tiresome when dealing with eating the same foods. If you have to break it up with shakes, so be it.

If you make an effort to never have 2 shake meals back to back, that will give you a good blend of whole food/supplemental protein.

Myself, since I follow an IF diet, I use protein as more of a "treat". I may end a whole food meal with a little sludge, etc. Works for me.
  15. Banned
    Stats
    5'6"  192 lbs.

I usually have between 2-3 shakes a day and about 4-5 meals typical day looks like this while working 3pm-11pm

11am shake and package and 1/2 oatmeal
    130 post workout shake
    200 meal usually burger and mac+chs
    430 meal protein bar or pbj and yougurt and gatorade
    730 meal chickensandwhich fries
    1130 meal eggs or leftover
    1am either shake or some kind of snack/meal
  16. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

17. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds
    That's a good read. Only thing I'm a bit worried about is 2/3 of meals are supplemental just wanna make sure I'm getting nutrients and overall it's safe.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

What are eating for your meals typically? Are they larger or on the smaller side?
    typically i will eat 8-10oz chicken or 3-6oz pork tenderloin, sweet potatoes or yams, or brown rice, there not big yet not small
    im bulking right now so i tend to eat everything in sight
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

I wanted to take a poll to see how many meals vs. Shakes/bars you take in to meat your goals?

Me I usually have about 2 shakes a day and 2-3 food meals.

I work crazy hours early mornings and late nights so it's tough sometime what about you guys?
    At most I take in 1 shake in the day instead of whole food. I do always take a shake post-workout, be it after cardio or after lifting (it only has protein and creatine in it). So maybe I technically take in 2 a day, but the consensus is whey is the best thing to take in PWO.

I always noticed a difference in my physique over say 3 months if I ate whole foods vs. shakes, and it wasn't until some explanations by Dr. Houser that there was science to back up what I saw in the real world. He says there are various signaling pathways and molecules released in the process of chewing foods that help upregulate protein intake/synthesis after eating, and by drinking shakes instead of eating (chewing) whole foods you may be missing out on this bit of help.

So, I make the extra effort and cook my stuff the night before, for instance. Also, I have no idea if Kroger brand cottage cheese has ephedrine/yohimbine/anabolics in it or what, but that stuff makes me look so much better than chicken does - I swear I'm probably never gonna go on a chicken-only diet. F that.
  20. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.

Nice thx for the suggestions guys.
    www.InsaneVeins.com
  21. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    I am saying do whatever you have to do, in your life, to get in your calories/macros, etc. If you can eat all your food in whole food great, if you need to consume 2-3 shakes then do it. Everyone is different in how they can handle food prep, eating the same ****, etc. You are better off getting your calories in, consistently, then missing a meal, or three a week for one reason or another.

If you are one of the people who subscribes to having to eat 6-7 meals a day, doing that consistently year, after year, can be tiresome when dealing with eating the same foods. If you have to break it up with shakes, so be it.

If you make an effort to never have 2 shake meals back to back, that will give you a good blend of whole food/supplemental protein.

Myself, since I follow an IF diet, I use protein as more of a "treat". I may end a whole food meal with a little sludge, etc. Works for me.
    Despite what I said in my post, getting in the bare minimum is priority number 1. Agreed!
  22. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post

I always noticed a difference in my physique over say 3 months if I ate whole foods vs. shakes, and it wasn't until some explanations by Dr. Houser that there was science to back up what I saw in the real world. He says there are various signaling pathways and molecules released in the process of chewing foods that help upregulate protein intake/synthesis after eating, and by drinking shakes instead of eating (chewing) whole foods you may be missing out on this bit of help.
    The thing is this. Protein shakes are PROTEIN. If you are getting your fats, and carbs from whole foods(typically easier, more sustainable), you are doing PLENTY of chewing.

If you get even 50% of your protein from a high quality powder, you still have the other 50% which is chewed, as well as all your carb/fat.
  23. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    The thing is this. Protein shakes are PROTEIN. If you are getting your fats, and carbs from whole foods(typically easier, more sustainable), you are doing PLENTY of chewing.

If you get even 50% of your protein from a high quality powder, you still have the other 50% which is chewed, as well as all your carb/fat.
    Yeah, but I doubt half the guys consuming shakes instead of chickens are also downing nuts and half a cup of broc. And I dont presume to know the biochemistry of eating enough to pass judgment on how it would work out doing a 50/50 split. I do know that it's better for me to eat a chicken breast and 2 cottage cheese tubs over 3 protein shakes over a period of 3 months. But as I said, the jury is still out on whether that cottage cheese is spiked =p
  24. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    I do know that it's better for me to eat a chicken breast and 2 cottage cheese tubs over 3 protein shakes over a period of 3 months. But as I said, the jury is still out on whether that cottage cheese is spiked =p
    I don't buy it brah! I lol All variables kept 100% the same I don't see it happening. But I can't dispute your findings, as it is certainly your opinion on your own results which you are entitled to.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Is this too many shakes???
    By Tboz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 11:57 AM
  2. Cheat meals that arent cheat meals
    By SouthernCharm in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 02:12 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM