Exercises and stretches for flat feet.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Okay I basically have no arch in my foot at all. The foot doctor told me to buy hard shoe insoles, because basically soft insoles won't work. So I bought a pair of new balances and some graphite insoles. I have replaced both the insoles and shoes once. The problem I am getting now is, my feet are getting very tight and sole where my arch should be. I walked a lot the other day like 6 miles and my foot hurt so bad I couldn't walk.

benmuscle

Awards
I went to the Physio and he gave me an exercise to improve both the arch and the angle of my foot but its hard to explain in words. Also not sure if it will work if you ha e no arch to begin with! Sorry

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
may need inserts for your shoes...takes the pressure off your knees

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have the same problem OP. Flat feet cause them to pronate the wrong way when you walk which causes lots of other problems as a bi-product. I ended up going to the foot doc and getting insoles made in the exact shape of my feet (or how they are shaped if I had an arch). Very costly but it was worth it.

Another thing that helped greatly is buying shoes that have no built in arch. Most companies have shoes that are marketed specifically towards people like us. New Balance has some great ones.

I ended up having a stress fracture in my foot due to running a lot with flat feet and now I do more biking for cardio instead.

One thing you could try is wall stretches, place one foot back far and push against the wall to stretch the plantar fascia, hold this for 60 seconds, change feet, take a quick break and then find a ledge (a couple inches high, curbs work well for this) and place your toes on this and with your heel on the ground, get a good stretch in again for a count of 60. Repeat these stretches 3 times, for a total of 6 stretches for each foot, and it should have everything pretty loose and warmed up. There are other stretches you can try too, just google plantar fascia stretching. Being flat footed allows it to get tight which causes a lot of the foot pain. You could also take a supplement to reduce inflammation. Ibuprofen works but I don't like to take it because it isn't great for my workouts. You should also finish your run with some more stretches and soak your feet if you can remember.

Hope this helps.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My feet are so flat that I can suction cup off flat floors...with socks on. I shyt you not, my friends. Sucks!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys I've been wearing graphite insoles, but I read about insoles made of "eva foam". Is one better than the other?