Large and Lovin' IT

Nuteboy

Awards
Got this article from the paper.

There are three things you dont want to be in American these days 1 A chain smoker 2 A suspected terrorist and 3 Overweight. Sometimes it seems even smokers and terror suspects get more sympathy than overweight people who are often cruelly stigmatized by our Atkins-crazed carb counting your body is a wonderland culture.

But some people are fat and they are OK with that. Fed up with the publics obsession about her weight Kirstie Alley turned the tables on the tabloids and paparazzi by announcing she would take on the topic herself in a new TV show-- Fat Actress.

By going on the offensive against her critics Alley joins a growing group of people who know they are overweight and say they are fine with being fat. Alley whose show is in development with ShowTime said the magazines treated her weight gain like a tragedy but that she is happy with the person she is.

Tragedies in my mind would be like AIDS starvation-illiteracy-child abuse the 53-year-old actress told People magazine. Enough with the diet talk they say. They are tired of the message from society that the only ideal body shape is a thin one and they are sick of being bombarded with news about the latest diet and weight-loss surgery and obesity reports.

Leading the way toward a less diet-obsessed world are fat activists who speak out about the cultures treatment of fat people and their rejection of it. The word FAT is still very very scary for people said Wendy Shanker a 32 year old writer in New York who recently penned The Fat Girls Guide to Life a book about her struggles with weight loss and her decision to give up on dieting. I am a fat person but I am not an evil person. I won’t eat you. Shanker said she was initially worried that her book would be poorly received because she used the world FAT but she was surprised when she got a strong positive reaction.

Everybody just seems to be so fed up with weight loss. I think people are just tired of it Shanker said. Shankers self-acceptance came after dieting and struggling with her weight in her 20s. After spending almost $10,000 at the Duke Diet and Fitness Center and losing only 2 pounds Shanker decided she’d had enough. I realized I’ve got to use a different number than what is on the scale to determine my health. Maybe there is a way to pursue fitness and health that is not tied to the size of my ass.

She started looking for other ways to be healthy such as exercising and eating well without fixating on pounds. In Chicago a group of women who describe themselves as fat activists are starting a program to help teens who identify themselves as fat be happy in their bodies. They are calling it PHAT CAMP.

Kim Paulus a therapist who is helping to develop Phat Camp uses the word fat to describe herself and says its empowering. The word FAT is treated in society as something morally wrong she says and using other phrases such as husky plus size voluptuous or overweight just plays into that stereotype.

Lisa Breisch a therapist in Rockford who heads the Chicago chapter of the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance says there are stages to size acceptance that can take a long time for people to achieve. NAAFA can help people to become more comfortable with who they are. She also teaches a class at the College Of DuPage called Body Image and the Larger Woman.

It does take an investment of a few years to really understand the brainwashing of society and to really live life in the body one has Breisch said.

BigTEX

BigTEX

Awards
Got this article from the paper.

Lisa Breisch a therapist in Rockford who heads the Chicago chapter of the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance says there are stages to size acceptance that can take a long time for people to achieve. NAAFA can help people to become more comfortable with who they are. She also teaches a class at the College Of DuPage called Body Image and the Larger Woman.

It does take an investment of a few years to really understand the brainwashing of society and to really live life in the body one has Breisch said.
I've been following this stuff....the recent rise of the so-called "fat activist" special interest groups. These people are "fed up" with fat jokes and angry at the national obsession with dieting. And they're also upset with the medical industry's campaign on
obesity. They also claim that they're victims of "weight discrimination", like weight requirements for employment. Southwest Airlines here in Dallas was under fire for requiring "large" passengers to purchase a second ticket if they couldn't fit in a single seat.

Personally....I think these people need to change their eating habits, get in the gym, and shutup.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
People who can't fit into one seat should have to buy the other seat on the plane... In an airline, their seats are their inventory, unless they are having a buy one get one free... they are loosing a good amount of profits by letting people take up more than one seat on the plane without paying for it (if there are empty seats on the flight, this is another issue...). Fat people need to just realize that they aren't healthy and while they "shouldn't" have to conform to society... they also have to realize that society probably doesn't want to conform to them either...

ManBeast

ManBeast

Nuteboy

Awards
ManBeast you hit it right on the nail. I agree 1000% what you said. I'm like this. I'm not against fat people and I'm not calling them names.

However, in situations such as flying on an air plane I don't want a 320 fat woman trying to squeeze into a seat and her leg squeezing against my thigh. That is not comfortable for me and I'm sure not comfortable for her.

Purchasing two seats seems the best soluation. Society should not have to conform to fat people. Good post.

dickwootton

Awards
  • Established
Who cares? They are fat and if they are happy with it great! If not then do something about it. Even if they will never be thin they can at least eat a healthy reduced calorie diet and excersise and they will loose weight.
Dick

littlemark

Awards
A little perspective for Canada on this one. While I'm totally against randomly picking on fat people, I can't see how the medical profession can be expected not to criticize this life style choice. I realize some have legitimate medical issues, and they're not the ones I'm speaking of. Its the double Big Mac combo supersizing, non-stop eaters that bug me.

Lets be blunt - obesity kills people. Up here we've got government funded health care - meaning these obese people are basically pissing away my hard earned tax dollars to treat their obesity related illnesses. Suddenly I am involved because they're blowing my $ which means longer wait times, less testing for me when I or my family is sick. To me its much the same as smoking - everyone knows its terrible for ones health, and society seems (at least up here) to be moving away from accepting it as normal. Harmful results are just about the same, so why leap to the defence of the 'large and in charge brigade'?

Sorry about the feelings of the overweight, but their lack of control or care is hurting us all in Canada. If it hurts their feelings to hear this truth then too bad. I wonder if dealing with obesity induced illness drives up health costs in the US by making beds more scarce to those who really need them?

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The problem im having with it is that some groups are trying to have obesity classified as a disease..Now this would change things radically with insurance,medicare and medicade.That would mean that tax payers would pay for someone to abuse themselves with twinkies...Not Good

BigTEX

BigTEX

Awards
The problem im having with it is that some groups are trying to have obesity classified as a disease..Now this would change things radically with insurance,medicare and medicade.That would mean that tax payers would pay for someone to abuse themselves with twinkies...Not Good
The American Obesity Association says that it's a chronic serious disease.
http://www.obesity.org/
And they want Medicare, insurance companies, and health providers to PAY for obesity related care, including surgery.
They also feel that it's discriminatory for insurance companies to charge higher rates for the obese.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Lets be blunt - obesity kills people. Up here we've got government funded health care - meaning these obese people are basically pissing away my hard earned tax dollars to treat their obesity related illnesses. Suddenly I am involved because they're blowing my $ which means longer wait times, less testing for me when I or my family is sick. To me its much the same as smoking - everyone knows its terrible for ones health, and society seems (at least up here) to be moving away from accepting it as normal. Harmful results are just about the same, so why leap to the defence of the 'large and in charge brigade'?
Well put! They are fine with being fat, because they know it's easier to accept it than it is to change it. I have no sympathy for these assholes. They are a drag on society. I feel for the ones that try to diet and exercise, bu these people are pathetic.

BigBadBootyDady

Awards
I just don't get it, it doesn't take a month to become obese, it takes years. Half way through how do ya not realize you gotta stop stuffin' your face? I don't mean to be harsh, I was a freakin' butterball as a kid. But even then at 12yrs old I looked in the mirror and said to myself "I'm not gonna be fat anymore!" Didn't know what I was do'in but I stopped with the chips and cheese doodles used my brother's weights and did situps till it hurt to breathe and dropped over 30 pounds. Promised myself I'd never be fat again! If a kid can do this why can't adults take charge of thier lives and stop eating so damn much? People gotta realize "diets" are bullshit. You gotta get off the couch and exercise. You can't be on a diet your whole life, ya gotta make eating clean a LIFESTYLE.

Nuteboy

Awards
Good point littlemark. MaDmaN insurance will increase if obesity is considered a disease. When you see a fatty with a twinkie in his hand grab it and run, lol.

Nuteboy

Awards
God, guys read this. I copied this from NAAFA message boards. Read this woman's post.

Zippy1515
Recent Member
Member # 4188
posted 05-12-2004 12:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For about the last year and a half, on occasion I have had these open sores appear on the back of my thighs. They generally start out as pimples, then open up. My concern is that they take so long to heal. Does anyone know what they are, what causes them, and how to get rid of them? I am 300+ lbs. and other than this am in good health. Thank you.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Let me tell you something, no one is OK with being fat. Unless a thyroid problem exists (you know the reason most people say their fat but only a select few individuals actually have). People turn to food like an addiction, they find peace and comfort by eating and satisfying cravings. That doens't seem like a person who's OK to me. They can tell you whatever they want but 9 out of 10 times there are issues causing the overeating.

The other side of the coin is that some are just too damn lazy. This countries obesity rate is insane, by numbers which would knock you to the floor. So I guess in the last ten years everyones thyroid production starting going haywire at the same time, damn I hate when that happens. Kids are riding down the street not on bikes but electric scooters and such. Theirs no more physical activities and are youth are fat pigs as a result, were raising a generation of people that don't even wanna wipe their ass anymore.

littlemark

Awards
I know it was posted in a different thread, but check this one out

http://www.wftv.com/news/3643877/detail.html

This lady may have been beyond help, but it sure looks to me like someone was helping to fatten the Christmas Goose. The worst part of the story is that someone let her get in this condition. You've got to think that if someone just refused to bring her food to the couch something could have been done earlier.

Jminis is right. We need to have complete sensitivity and compassion for those who have legitimate medical reasons - either physical or mental.

As for the other lazy slobs, they're really just doing it to themselves. Making a change is difficult and unfortunately I don't see how these people can be driven to change unless by constant pressure. I've got nothing but respect and actual admiration for those who have made major changes in this regards.

Guess I'm not the NAAFA christmas card list now...

Physicist

Awards
This is beautiful!! At least a dozen people who share my views on fat people! Especially BigBadBootyDaddy's. I like to compare being fat to smoking. Its gross, unhealthy, and if someone really wants to change it they can. Everybody knows how to lose weight. All they need to do is stick to the diet and exercise.

Nuteboy

Awards
HELL NO

I pulled this from that site NAAFA or something like that. I could not believe what I read. This is a woman asking some members for help.

Read her post below. I never heard of something like this.

"Can anyone HELP? I am trying to find health insurance for myself. I have tried Anthem BC/BS, Unicare, and United Health. I have been turned down by all 3 because I weigh 280 pounds. Unfortunately I do not have a group plan through my work so here I am stuck with no health insurance. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

BigTEX

BigTEX

Awards
"Can anyone HELP? I am trying to find health insurance for myself. I have tried Anthem BC/BS, Unicare, and United Health. I have been turned down by all 3 because I weigh 280 pounds. Unfortunately I do not have a group plan through my work so here I am stuck with no health insurance. Any help would be greatly appreciated."
There's got to be more to it than her weight of 280 lbs. She/he probably has a bunch of pre-existing conditions. They probably didn't turn her down, just wanted to charge higher rates than she was willing to pay.

Nuteboy

Awards
Hey I never heard of that BigTex. Although 280lbs is a lot of weight I guess it makes sense that it has to be more than she's saying.

LOL, why do people lie? She must have a medical problem and the insurance wants to charge her a very high rate.

BigTEX

BigTEX

Awards
Hey I never heard of that BigTex. Although 280lbs is a lot of weight I guess it makes sense that it has to be more than she's saying.

LOL, why do people lie? She must have a medical problem and the insurance wants to charge her a very high rate.
Well my wife is a Medical Insurance claims adjuster/examiner. And she says that she's never heard of ANY insurance company discriminating on the basis of weight. I mean the insurance company just doesn't say "you're fat", we're not going to take you.
She says they do discriminate on the basis of pre-existing conditions, or such things as tobacco use.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
NICE THREAD! I don't have one bit of sympathy for anybody that is obese. Being fat is a choice you make. Plain and simple. I have a similiar story to BigBadBootyDady. When I was about 13 I was walking through my house without a shirt and my dad said "damn, you are fat." The next morning I was outside doing cardio and I haven't looked back since. AT 13

You guys are all too nice. I'm critical towards fat people and I make jokes about them too :rasp: ..

BEING FAT IS A CHOICE!!!​

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm actualy sick of most "special" groups. Everybody is always whinning about something. I'm sick of gay right activist crying about eminem or some **** arnold said. I'm sick of fat people crying its not my fault. Whats next? Maybe NJA (National Junkie Associaton) to protect the rights of heroin addicts.lol I have no problem with fat people, gay, lesbian, muslim, as long as it doesn't hurt other people. I do have a problem with people whinning and making a huge deal out of someone calling someone a name. I've noticed most of the people in these groups don't think logicaly. Its like their 100 percent sure every problem in their life is due to their weight, color, or beliefs.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
What did one fat chick say to the other fat chick?

Who gives a ****, they're fat

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
I've been there-done that-back again and fighting. I have never nor will ever accept fat. When I first started training nearly 20 years ago, I was described by my coworkers as a 200 pound "rolly poly". I brought my ass to the nearest Gold's Gym, did cardio twice a day and weights. In 8 weeks, I went from being big to a twig, which I was more unhappy with. But at least I did something about it. Over the years, I began powerlifting which got me larger with both fat and muscle. But I still, to this day, watch my eating.

When I was in law enforcement, places like Burger King & Popeye's gave us discounts or free food and that didn't help. I used to work with a guy who was 80 pounds bigger than me and he was proud of it. This guy could put away 4 BK Whoppers or 10 Popeyes pieces damn near without coming up for air. When I went back to my home town last December, another (now former) coworker told me that the guy had lost so much weight that I wouldn't recognize him. I began asking about his health but no one knew anything more about him. Well, I called my old job last week and mentioned what I was told and that coworker told me that the guy died before Independence Day of a heart attack. My guess is that he may have had heart surgery sometime last year and lost weight while in the hospital, as what often happen with mortally obese patients. When last I remembered, he had diabetes, so that was something that I questioned also. The fact is, for as long as we worked together, this guy (may he rest in peace) accepted his size simply because he gave up trying.

Fat people don't accept themselves as being fat. They only accept GIVING UP trying to diet or losing weight. I was talking about this very subject last week to a guy at the gym where I train. I told him that I want to get more cut, not chizelled, just cut. That is, cut the fat as much as possible. He told me, "You're not so bad because you have alot of muscle size." But I told him, "That might be, but still in all, it's weight." After just having knee surgery on both knees, my mind have been made up that I have to lay off of the powerlifting and lose some fat if I don't want to go through another knee surgery. :frustrate

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm actualy sick of most "special" groups. Everybody is always whinning about something. I'm sick of gay right activist crying about eminem or some **** arnold said. I'm sick of fat people crying its not my fault. Whats next? Maybe NJA (National Junkie Associaton) to protect the rights of heroin addicts.lol I have no problem with fat people, gay, lesbian, muslim, as long as it doesn't hurt other people. I do have a problem with people whinning and making a huge deal out of someone calling someone a name. I've noticed most of the people in these groups don't think logicaly. Its like their 100 percent sure every problem in their life is due to their weight, color, or beliefs.
:goodpost:

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been there-done that-back again and fighting. I have never nor will ever accept fat. When I first started training nearly 20 years ago, I was described by my coworkers as a 200 pound "rolly poly". I brought my ass to the nearest Gold's Gym, did cardio twice a day and weights. In 8 weeks, I went from being big to a twig, which I was more unhappy with. But at least I did something about it. Over the years, I began powerlifting which got me larger with both fat and muscle. But I still, to this day, watch my eating.

When I was in law enforcement, places like Burger King & Popeye's gave us discounts or free food and that didn't help. I used to work with a guy who was 80 pounds bigger than me and he was proud of it. This guy could put away 4 BK Whoppers or 10 Popeyes pieces damn near without coming up for air. When I went back to my home town last December, another (now former) coworker told me that the guy had lost so much weight that I wouldn't recognize him. I began asking about his health but no one knew anything more about him. Well, I called my old job last week and mentioned what I was told and that coworker told me that the guy died before Independence Day of a heart attack. My guess is that he may have had heart surgery sometime last year and lost weight while in the hospital, as what often happen with mortally obese patients. When last I remembered, he had diabetes, so that was something that I questioned also. The fact is, for as long as we worked together, this guy (may he rest in peace) accepted his size simply because he gave up trying.

Fat people don't accept themselves as being fat. They only accept GIVING UP trying to diet or losing weight. I was talking about this very subject last week to a guy at the gym where I train. I told him that I want to get more cut, not chizelled, just cut. That is, cut the fat as much as possible. He told me, "You're not so bad because you have alot of muscle size." But I told him, "That might be, but still in all, it's weight." After just having knee surgery on both knees, my mind have been made up that I have to lay off of the powerlifting and lose some fat if I don't want to go through another knee surgery. :frustrate
I know where you are coming from. Being a powerlifter, and carrying so much weight can really give you a lot of problems regardless if it's muscle or fat. I'm only 24, and have knee problems already.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Special Interest groups seek to put their interests ahead of everyone elses. And That's truly selfish.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
Special Interest groups seek to put their interests ahead of everyone elses. And That's truly selfish.
Bro, tell me about it. I was listening to a rerun of the Howard Stern this past weekend and there was a woman who called in whom represented some organization that are trying to save chickens from consumption. She may want to hold a press conference with the bodybuilders of IFBB about how bad chicken breast is. :rofl:

littlemark

Awards
Lets all just admit it - modern Western society is a sick, sick thing. Political correctness is systematically stripping away those things that once underpinned a great society. When even the notion of some fundamental truth becomes relative -

(I don't believe that science tells me being obese will give me health issues, cause it won't! or Chickens have more rights than the people that eat them)​

everything is fair game. Really it comes down to relativism. Society tells us that each and every special interest is right for those involved.

While I agree they absolutely have the right to believe whatever they want to, but it doesn't make it any more true. I think we all realize deep down that all opinions are not equal, so why does society force us to pretend they are?

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
i think fat people should be prepared to be made fun of. it might solve the epidemic in this country. people used to make fun of me cuz i was so skinny but i didnt cry about it like a helpless baby. only a weak person would do that and then go found there own special interest group with other people that are to weak to solve the problem. people in this country are just way to sensitive and our gonvernment caters to them. that is why our rights are going down the drain. imho

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't understand why they don't just do something about their problem. I used to be fat and I did something about it, not fat any more. People just want to make up excuses and blame someone else, it is never their own fault for eating too much.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
I don't understand why they don't just do something about their problem. I used to be fat and I did something about it, not fat any more. People just want to make up excuses and blame someone else, it is never their own fault for eating too much.
It bums me out that they now use fat as a physical disability. Imagine an obese person receiving SSI because they've had too many cheeseburgers and doughnuts all of their lives. Now our tax money is buying those cheeseburgers and doughnuts for them.

I remember seeing this reality program on MTV and they interviewed 3 fat individuals.

There was this one young lady who was in her 20's and, I think, 250 pounds or so. I can honestly say that she was very attractive, mostly because of her attitude and energy. She wanted to become a BBW model. And it made me laugh to see all of these skinny girls competing with her and laughing behind her back at auditions. But she ended up with a modeling contract and they were left behind stage.

Another woman was over 300 pounds, unhealthy, and had to be wheeled around in a wheel chair by her husband, who wasn't that far behind her in weight. I truly felt sorry for her to see how she was treated when her husband took her out to dinner. But at the end of the show, she had received the gastric bypass surgery and began losing weight. IMO, too many obese people are using that operation as a cushion but in her case, she needed it.

Lastly was this lazy, fat ass 17 year old kid who did nothing to help himself. He weighed in over 300 pounds and all the **** he did was eat crap. His mom put him on a diet and he's eating Cheetos as he's driving home from school so that she don't see him. The fat dumbass forgot to clean his cheese powdered fingers though. He ate like a pig and all he talked about was that he can eat anything he wanted because he was going to get the gastric bypass surgery and his insurance was going to pay for it. Near the end of the show, his doctor told him that he qualifies for the operation and the fatass was all smiles then. But she also told him that, after doing a blood test on him, his thyroids were in good shape. At the end of the show, it was noted that 2 months had passed since the airing of the show and the insurance have never approved the operation for him. I laughed at that fat ass loser. He seemed too lazy to realize that no insurance is going to approve that operation for a 17 yr. old with a shitload of metabolism just because they're too lazy to use it. :trout:

Last edited:

Nuteboy

Awards
ChosenOne,

So the BBW beat out a lot of the skinny woman as far as getting a modeling contract? DAMN I bet that had to be a slap in the face for those skinny girls.

Did the fat woman look better than the skinny girls or did she just have a better attitude?

Also do any of you know how insurance and doctors determine who is eligible for the bypass surgery? Just curious as I hear gov. will be changing how easy it is to get the surgery.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
That 17 year old woulda been really pissed off to find out what he's allowed to eat after getting that surgery...

ManBeast

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
ChosenOne,

So the BBW beat out a lot of the skinny woman as far as getting a modeling contract? DAMN I bet that had to be a slap in the face for those skinny girls.

Did the fat woman look better than the skinny girls or did she just have a better attitude?

Also do any of you know how insurance and doctors determine who is eligible for the bypass surgery? Just curious as I hear gov. will be changing how easy it is to get the surgery.
I had forgot to mention btw that when they showed the overly obese woman at the end of the show, she had lost 45 pounds 2 weeks after her surgery.

About the one who wanted to become a BBW model, MTV interviewed the representative of the modeling agency and he said that he did, in fact, choose her because she had the most explosive, positive attitude than alot of the other girls in the competition or that he's ever met in the business. And that alone makes her look better than the skinnier ones. Of course, there were a few others who got modeling contracts as well, but she stood out the most IMO.

I can relate to that because I once dated an obese woman. This woman was 225 pounds but she dressed beautifully, spoke well, and all an all, a very beautiful woman. I, honestly, didn't notice her size or shape. Funny thing is that she had a younger sister who was very cute and had a killer body on her. My gf told me stories of how they would go clubbing and guys would try hitting on her instead of her sister and it used to piss her sister off.

As far as the insurance is concerned Nuteboy, they determine it, via the doctor report. If the hospital does blood work and find that the thyroids are not working as they should, then the insurance may work with the patient on the surgery. But if all is working well, then the patient is shot to hell. Believe me, I picked up some weight since my 2 knee surgeries and my doctor and lawyers are having a hell of a time just getting the workmen comp insurance to approve a weight loss program for me. So, being that I'm experienced in the gym and with fitness, I told them to chill. I'll do it myself. Besides, I'm not about to get on some crappy Opti-Fast kind of system. :drunk: