Religious beliefs? - AnabolicMinds.com

Religious beliefs?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. New Member
    Answers

Religious beliefs?

I'm just kind of curious how many of you guys (particularily the juicers of the board) consider themselves Christians?

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.
    Answers

First flame in ANY direction and this thread is over... That is all I have to say.

ManBeast
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*
  3. Elite Member
    Answers

Personally, I wish we wouldn't have this thread at all.. just too easy to get into a flame war
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew D
    Personally, I wish we wouldn't have this thread at all.. just too easy to get into a flame war
    I must agree.
  5. New Member
    Answers

Don't really understand how it could provoke a flame... not looking for a religious discussion. Anyone who could turn this into a flame thread should get banned for picking an argument. ;-)
  6. Get big or die trying
    Answers

I struggle w/the moral side of juicing a lot. I'm starting to put my first cycle together for this winter, and my morals, and religious beliefs hold me back. Definately something i've been thinking about.
  7. Elite Member
    Answers

I am just wondering why you even asked the question if you weren't looking for a discussion
  8. Board Supporter
    Answers

I just watched the "unbelievable ronnie coleman" video. Pretty sure he is on the juice but looked like he was praying before every meal.
  9. Advanced Member
    Answers

I just watched the "unbelievable ronnie coleman" video. Pretty sure he is on the juice but looked like he was praying before every meal.
    From what I read he is pretty religious.
  10. Board Supporter
    Answers

I was really impressed, I don't keep up with mr. olympia and have never watched the competition, but he seemed like a nice guy who busts his ass every day in the gym and then on the police force.

I expected him to be a little more cocky. It was funny how he kept saying "light weight" before each lift, including an 800lb dead lift.

Sorry to get off topic.
  11. Advanced Member
    Answers

People can have civil discussions about religion. From what I have seen the problems usually don't come from different religions debating but between atheists and people who believe in God, a higher power , or what ever you want to call it. Other than than people can talk about thier ideas and beliefs while still being civil even if they disagree.
  12. Advanced Member
    Answers

what the heck does juicing have to do with christianity?

i mean, seriously.

i think most juicing christians view laws against AAS as malum prohibitum not malum in se.

iow, they are "bad because they are illegal" not "illegal because they are bad"

and while christianity has a general concept that one should obey the law of the land, it also has room for breaking unjust laws

judaism too, i might add

but since you asked, yes i am christian
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jjjd
    what the heck does juicing have to do with christianity?
    Well, theres a bible passage that says your body is a temple.......I'm sure god would like it if you expanded the temple and make it bigger for him.

I'm not christian tho, I'm an atheist.
  14. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  251 lbs.
    Answers

Man i see it happen over and over frist it starts out as a ? then people start quoteing stuff from the bible and all hell breaks lose!!!
    i'm with matt on this one it's to touchy for some people!!!!!!
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.
    Answers

Like I said... Just behave and everything will be ok...

ManBeast
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by toastynoodles
    Man i see it happen over and over frist it starts out as a ? then people start quoteing stuff from the bible and all hell breaks lose!!!
    i'm with matt on this one it's to touchy for some people!!!!!!
    Yeah....youre right.....I just love twisting the bibles words around to get a rise out of christians tho
  17. Elite Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla
    People can have civil discussions about religion. From what I have seen the problems usually don't come from different religions debating but between atheists and people who believe in God, a higher power , or what ever you want to call it. Other than than people can talk about thier ideas and beliefs while still being civil even if they disagree.
    I have to strongly disagree with that... some of the worst discussions I have gotten into have come from different denomations of the Protestants... I am in the process of watching my church split, losing all three of our leaders, due to difference on how we should serve our fellow man. And trust me, the discussion weren't that civil at times.
    Also, if you look at history some of the worst injustices done were done in the name of a certain type of religion.
  18. Senior Member
    Answers

Im catholic and believe in the existance of the Lord very much. Do i have problems morally about using anabolics? No.... however the question of is it right or wrong was tossed around before I ever started my first cycle. I put my faith and show it everyday....
    Sage
  19. Board Supporter
    Answers

Also, if you look at history some of the worst injustices done were done in the name of a certain type of religion.
    People like to say this, but it is not really true. People kill people in general. Yeah, lots were killed during the crusades in the name of religion.

However, Hitler killed ~20 million and Stalin killed probably a few million more. Neither invoked religion. There are many other examples.

Religions don't kill people. People kill people.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by cr4ytonic
    People like to say this, but it is not really true. People kill people in general. Yeah, lots were killed during the crusades in the name of religion.

However, Hitler killed ~20 million and Stalin killed probably a few million more. Neither invoked religion. There are many other examples.

Religions don't kill people. People kill people.
    I agree that people kill people, but the basic principle is behind most religions is that there is one right way to live. That leads to intolerance toward groups that live differently. Granted the people do the killing, but the intolerance taught by most religions justifies their actions in their own minds.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait
    I agree that people kill people, but the basic principle is behind most religions is that there is one right way to live. That leads to intolerance toward groups that live differently. Granted the people do the killing, but the intolerance taught by most religions justifies their actions in their own minds.
    I agree with this for the most part

There are exceptions to every rule, but IMO the key part of this statement is the "one right way to live". Even if some practitioners are more tolerant than others, often times fundamentalists (of whatever religion) seem to lead intolerance. JMO
  22. Board Supporter
    Answers

I should revise that to say: "Religions don't kill people. Crazy people kill people." Crazy people who are religious and who aren't kill lots of people.

I can't think of any major wars post 1648 treaty of Westphalia that have anything to do with religion.

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat0.htm (scroll down a bit for the list) Is a list of the top 20 worst things people have done to each other by body count. The vast majority have little to do with religion.

It is easy to say religions cause intolerance, which they may to some extent, but I don't see the proof that religion is the cause of a significant % of the people who have been killed.
  23. Advanced Member
    Answers

inarguably (the stats don't lie), the VAST majority of killings (unjustified i might add) in the LAST CENTURY were done by OFFICIALLY ATHEIST (note: not merely secular, but officially atheist) governments

atheists (and in the greatest #'s, communist atheists) have killed far far far more people in this century than theists.

period.

even including islamofascists.

stalin, mao, pol pot, etc.

need i go on

religion doesn't cause intolerance. people are naturally intolerant. we don't need help with that.

but the reality is, that in RECENT (ie last 100 years) history, it has been demonstrably proven that official atheism (and of course "strong" atheism is as much a religion as theism, since it requires a leap of faith and a determination about the undetermined) is more dangerous than theism, or secularism.
  24. Elite Member
    Answers

okay.. whatever...
  25. Advanced Member
    Answers

well, you can't argue with the stats. do you want to try. Hint: how many people did officially atheist govt's kill in the last century (it's well over 50 million)

how many did theist govt's kill?

do the math

it's a meme among many (wrongly) that religion is the CAUSE of all this killing, etc.

but they fail to acknowledge that atheism is behind FAR MORE killing recent history than theism

something i never would have PREDICTED, but you can't argue with the stats

and i note you don't even try
  26. Advanced Member
    Answers

I have to strongly disagree with that... some of the worst discussions I have gotten into have come from different denomations of the Protestants... I am in the process of watching my church split, losing all three of our leaders, due to difference on how we should serve our fellow man. And trust me, the discussion weren't that civil at times.
    Actually I was referring to discussions on message boards. What's going on with your church?
  27. Board Sponsor
    Answers

I have an excellent paper on this subject detailing what you have outined here. I may have to dig that up...

inarguably (the stats don't lie), the VAST majority of killings (unjustified i might add) in the LAST CENTURY were done by OFFICIALLY ATHEIST (note: not merely secular, but officially atheist) governments

atheists (and in the greatest #'s, communist atheists) have killed far far far more people in this century than theists.

period.

even including islamofascists.

stalin, mao, pol pot, etc.

need i go on

religion doesn't cause intolerance. people are naturally intolerant. we don't need help with that.

but the reality is, that in RECENT (ie last 100 years) history, it has been demonstrably proven that official atheism (and of course "strong" atheism is as much a religion as theism, since it requires a leap of faith and a determination about the undetermined) is more dangerous than theism, or secularism.
  28. Board Sponsor
    Answers

I think alot of the flame wars start with an misunderstanding between what people consider tolerance and truth. As a Christian, I am not supposed to tolerate sin, and quite honestly, I cannot stand people trying to tell me I do (homosexuality, fornication, etc.)

The people here have had some very spirited discussions in the past, and I honestly see no reason why the members could not be mature enough to handle this discussion. Bring it on!
  29. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by custom
    As a Christian, I am not supposed to tolerate sin, and quite honestly, I cannot stand people trying to tell me I do (homosexuality, fornication, etc.)
    Furthermore, as a Christian, we are instructed by Christ to love the homosexual and fornicator (love the sinner -- hate the sin). For great is/was our own sin, and great is the love and grace we have received/been shown.
  30. Board Sponsor
    Answers

Yes, sir. May our love be known by that which we show.
  31. New Member
    Answers

First off, I'm Agnostic, so I'm starting from a biased standpoint. Unlike many non-Christians (and Christians alike), however, I've done quite a bit of religious study (I have a degree in Philosophy--basically worthless outside of discussions such as these).

In questioning whether or not a "true Christian" can remain steadfast while at the same time violating the laws of society, aren't you forgetting that Jesus himself was executed for violations of Roman Law? I'm not saying that if Jesus was alive today he'd be shooting 1000 mgs a week of Test-E or anything, but I do believe that his example teaches us that it is OK to reach out for your own sense of right and wrong even if it stands in the face of the status quo. Why is it wrong to use AAS? Just because "they" say so?
  32. Board Supporter
    Answers

From my understanding of christianity the big problem is the vanity/pride associated with bodybuilding, AAS use or not.
  33. New Member
    Answers

Honestly I started the thread just to find out how common Christians use AAS... not to "discuss" religious beliefs in the same manner most people think of immediately (i.e. debates). Custom, I was looking at your website and it is actually what spurred my interest with the proverbs in the right hand corner. I'm a Christian and just finished off my third cycle. I don't feel like gear is wrong at all and am somewhat curious as to how many people agree with my views (that are Christians)!
  34. Registered User
    Answers

Everyone has the right to believe in something, or not to. Some find they change their beliefs over time, suggesting (healthy) open-mindedness. The same should hold for being open to letting others believe as they wish. Who knows anything for sure? When I dig deep into my mind and heart, I find a "feeling" of a Spiritual nature, like looking out into the stars, or across the ocean, or sometimes at a person's smile, or at a little kid playing around or something. Its not Christian, Buddhist, Zen, or anything. But I think all those "paths" are good, when used properly. That would not include imposing on others views (or lack thereof). As far as Jesus is concerned, I think he might go over to the dark side after the ban...
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Answers

period.
    I completely agree with your statement. However, my premise was not that atheists do not kill people, it was that religion leads to intolerance. Fascism and Communism also are creeds whose intolerance leads to violence. Intolerant beliefs, be they religious, economic, or social inexorably breed violence.
  36. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by b5150
    Furthermore, as a Christian, we are instructed by Christ to love the homosexual and fornicator (love the sinner -- hate the sin). For great is/was our own sin, and great is the love and grace we have received/been shown.
    love the sinner, so true but do not have to accept their sins, or agree with them, or change laws for them etc.......
  37. CDB
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait
    Seems to the basic principle behind anyone's ideology is that their way is the right way, whatever it may be, religious, atheist, agnostic, scientific... People are wacky, they'll find any reason they can to inconvenience one another. I think religion is just used a lot more often because it's so pervasive in society. Almost everyone's got it in some form or another.

As for the original question. I believe in God, but it's my own God. See no reason why I or anyone else can't look at the world and decide for ourselves the nature of the deity/deities. My God, laughably enough, is more like the god Crom from the Robert E. Howard's Conan novels. Strength matters a lot, physical, mental and emotional strength, all on a level. If there's heaven I think it's reserved for those who get through life still standing at the end, with their mental, emotional and physical dignity still intact, and hopefully stronger than ever.
  38. Advanced Member
    Answers

Rob, i disagree that religion leads to intolerance. but it depends on what you mean by that word. intolerance of what? evil? good? people who are different?
  39. New Member
    Answers

Intolerance isn't neccessarily always a bad thing. (I.e. intolerance of misjustice, etc. etc.)
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  181 lbs.
    Answers

I'm a Catholic and it has never bothered me what anyone else believes or says. To each their own.

I also think Crom is pretty awesome too.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 10:32 PM
  2. Big Beyond Belief training program
    By ctAL in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 11:39 PM
  3. Man Selling Religious Books Hit By Lightning !
    By anabolicrhino in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 07:10 AM
  4. Religious Nutjob
    By BigVrunga in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 02:50 PM
  5. Religious Question
    By GangstaJDog in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 05:53 PM