Pro card or not

Nuteboy

Awards
I was having a chat with the owner of the gym I attend. We were talking about some of the “up and coming� amateurs. We discussed how many have had a hard road ahead of them yet with perseverance they manage to earn their pro card.

Then, the owner of the gym made a statement that shook me. He said “what good is it for a guy to turn pro when he cannot do anything in the pro ranks?� In other words, why win your pro card when you’ll be a bad professional bodybuilder and possibly place very low to guys like Dexter, Ronnie, Darrem, Melvin, Jay and Markus.

What do you guys think? Is it better to not get a pro card IF the guy will be a struggling pro?

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It makes sense. Ronnie Coleman has been in this game for a LONG time, I don't see anybody taking his title. Theres probably a better chance of him throwing up his liver.

I guess if I were a bodybuilder it would be cool to be able to say "I am a pro". Wheres BigPete? I'm sure hes got a good opinion.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
New pros make their money from guest posing, photo shoots, and other stuff... and hell yes it would a struggle.. I would be up in the air about getting it or not

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Moi? Good opinion? :trout:

Seriously, in my situation I only care about having the ability to follow through with a plan, and make it happen.. I DO NOT want to go pro, if I for some odd reason became pro, I'd be ok with it.. Hell, I'm not even National Qualified yet, might not ever happen.. My take on competitive bodybuilding is simple:

It's a full-time job in itself, eating and training, resting, marketing yourself so Prolab or MuscleTech can help with some bills, training others, even to a lower extent of selling gear/your body and getting ready for shows.. Why would I put my 14yrs of training on the line for a piece of pewter and plastic? Some guys do have real jobs (Ronnie and Richard Jones are cops), while others just do what they can (remember Chris Duffy?).. I personally don't want things to not happen for me in this field.. If I get on a 6-page ad for a diabetic coma-inducing creatine drink, congradulate me, I did it.. If I end up on stage in the best condition ever, hands-down the overall winner, shake my hand..

Just don't say to me, "Pete! You really should go pro, brother!"..

I'd rather look the part than play it, the game is way too dirty in those ranks..

Nuteboy

Awards
Interesting BigPete. I'm curious. How much does a pro ( who ranks out of the top six) make in money? I know everything is based on promotion, what contract the guy has and etc. but anyone has a "rough" estimate guess?

Are pro's ( that place out of the top six) making $80,000 a year, $100,000 a year or way less?

2nd part to my question. After reading what BigPete said I'm curious. How dirty does a guy has to get to make it within the top six? Are these guys taking "loads" of "super" supplements and large portions of protein to maintain their monstrous size?

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Interesting BigPete. I'm curious. How much does a pro ( who ranks out of the top six) make in money? I know everything is based on promotion, what contract the guy has and etc. but anyone has a "rough" estimate guess?

Are pro's ( that place out of the top six) making $80,000 a yeár, $100,000 a year or way less?

2nd part to my question. After reading what BigPete said I'm curious. How dirty does a guy has to get to make it within the top six? Are these guys taking "loads" of "super" supplements and large portions of protein to maintain their monstrous size?
Well, most pro's spend a good amount to enter the shows, get their "supplements" for them, and travel.. that could be around $15,000 on the low side.. Too bad there's no pros here to verify that amount, I'm sure it's not uncommon..

To get in the top 6, it takes alot of everything, including lots of as you say "super" supplements, protein, training, diet, genetics.. Too many variables on that one..

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
UNles of course you're pushed harder by having stronger competition. then going Pro might give the push you need or you just may be funding the top 5 in every contest with your entry fees :)

shyboy

Awards
I think the point is that right now there is a core group of "it" guys leading the pros. Until things change new blood is gonna have a hard time making especially if you are not a 280-300 lbs freak. And if anyone thinks these guy's "super supplements" are anywhere like what you & me take you are dillusional. It's a total juice regime IMO.

I have a friend who was thinking of going the nationals then pro route & started doing modeling on the side. He makes ridiculously more at that, at a lighter & more manageble weight, than he did in competitions. I think bigpetefox has the right idea. What comes, comes. Enjoy it.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
On the topic of how much these guys make, I read in a Flex that the night before the Mr. O there is a debate between judges and the athletes about how much money the winner should get..That true or just more Flex bullshit?

PreMier

PreMier

Awards
I thought that Ron Coleman retired from the police force a few years back... you know, conflict of interest(cop using gear).

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I thought that Ron Coleman retired from the police force a few years back... you know, conflict of interest(cop using gear).
He's on reserve, kinda like a auxillary patrolman..

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
fwiw, there is no conflict with a cop using gear. only a conflict with a cop using gear ILLEGALLY

maybe ronnie bought in mexico (he certainly lives close enough) and shot up there, or maybe he has a script from a very progressive HRT clinic

he obviously uses gear, but using/possessing gear is NOT illegal. in many circumstances as described

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I hate to say this but Bodybuilding has seen better days.The shows that I have been to recently barely had enough competitors to have a show.The same 3 old guys were in the mens open,masters 35 and up,then 45 and over were the same people.I remember in the late 70's and early 80's bodybulding's golden era shows were everywhere I remember when AL Beckles won the New England Grand Prix 1981

I here YA Pete when you say all those years invested.even though I took 8 years off I had trained for 20 years (dam I am old)...Hey lets face it, I think we all would like a pro card,but not to fly all over the world and compete.I do what I do because there is something about bodybuilding that I love.I love competing,I love the smell back stage of the mint julip.I love also the shows that give you raisins and honey back stage..Why I chose bodybuilding(I should say it choose me) with no money to be made in it and we all know its expensive to compete on a regular basis...So im content to do this as a hobby.....more fun that way.

BigBadBootyDady

Awards
If your gonna be a no-body pro I would think it would be better to stay amiture (big fish, little pond or little fish, big pond) I'll garuntee Dave Palumbo makes alot more money than most pros do.