Doom 3, oh god help me, it comes out Wednesday!!!

toastynoodles

Board Supporter
Awards
WOW about time it came out now the long wait for half life 2 should be good to go 2006!!!!!!

BigTEX

BigTEX

Awards
MY badass setup is ready, is yours?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33088

"The bar has been genuinely raised for the first time since Half-Life. DOOM 3 is the best first-person shooter ever made."
Best Buy here in Dallas is staying open late tonight, just to sell Doom 3. At 12:01 am (tonight) Doom 3 goes on sale.
My 10-yr old son is all over me about this game. Looks like I'll be standing in line tonight. I just hope his Geforce ti4200
will be enough video card to play this game.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the TI4200 has enough to muscle to handle Doom 3.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
yeah it's been on newsgroups for a day and a half now also

toastynoodles

Board Supporter
Awards
Yeah, the TI4200 has enough to muscle to handle Doom 3.
u sure about that i had that card and it couldn't play battlefeid vietnam for crap???doom 3 the requirements are a lot higher???might need a FX5700U or higher!!!!

BigTEX

BigTEX

Awards
u sure about that i had that card and it couldn't play battlefeid vietnam for crap???doom 3 the requirements are a lot higher???might need a FX5700U or higher!!!!
Well gonna buy the game tonight....to satisfy the kid (I want it to, but have to have some excuse for the wife).
We'll see if this ti4200 will run it, but I get the feeling that I'm gonna have to spring for another video card,
probably at least an ATI 9800 PRO or a Geforce 5900. Damn there goes another couple hundred bucks.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
ti4200 isnt going to handle it at full rez and full detail.... lets not confuse ourselves.... its like fucking the finest bitch with a ultra thick jimmy hat :)

toastynoodles

Board Supporter
Awards
Any of u guy used newegg.com before to get comp stuff????

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Funny you should mention newegg, I'm looking for a few new parts and my buddy just reccomended that site over zipzoomfly.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Newegg is really good. I've used them for years. You might get better deals on individual items elsewhere but newegg can't be beat as a whole.
The only bad thing is that they rape you on hot new video cards.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
btw, i got doom3 today at 3:00 :D

been playing it alllll day

DAMN ITS SCARY; especially now at night!!! follow the directions... lock your doors, turn off the lights, and turn up the sound and scare yourself shitless; i find myself freaking out from just sounds in the game like gas spraying out, etc

Harland

Harland

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yeah but gta San Andreas is going to be better :D and madden 2005 also :D

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
newegg.com is great for buying parts. But for the BEST prices on each individual part, pricewatch.com is still king.

drei

Awards
Best Buy here in Dallas is staying open late tonight, just to sell Doom 3. At 12:01 am (tonight) Doom 3 goes on sale.
My 10-yr old son is all over me about this game. Looks like I'll be standing in line tonight. I just hope his Geforce ti4200
will be enough video card to play this game.
BigTex on a TI4200 you may experience some serious degraded gaming quality. The TI4200 doesn't support Microsoft Direct-X 9.0 and Doom 3 uses everything the DX9 extensions has to offer as far as graphics quality. Better yet while you are in BestBuy get a Geforce 5200 graphics card for $119.00 they kick serious azz!

DREi

BigTEX

BigTEX

Awards
BigTex on a TI4200 you may experience some serious degraded gaming quality. The TI4200 doesn't support Microsoft Direct-X 9.0 and Doom 3 uses everything the DX9 extensions has to offer as far as graphics quality. Better yet while you are in BestBuy get a Geforce 5200 graphics card for $119.00 they kick serious azz!

DREi
It plays pretty good at low quality 640x480.
Even at low quality, this game looks good.

FX5200 256mb video cards are $80 on www.pricewatch.com

I'm thinking of jumping big and getting an FX5800 or FX5900

Here's a 128mb FX5800 for $166
http://www.buyxtremegear.com/vc125127.html

$200 is gonna be my upper limit on a video card.
(wife ain't too happy about spending all this money)

drei

Awards
OK now that you may be willing to spend the cheddar on a new card. Then let's go for it! Don't buy an NVidia card go with ATI. ATI cards smoke NVidia cards in every bench mark test out there.

http://www.buyxtremegear.com/vc124116.html

And the 9800 is only $144.00.

I personally use an ATI 9700 128MB and it still kicks azz after 2 years just got Doom 3 and I'm running it at 1024x768, 32 bit color with zero problems.

This is an incredible game almost groundbreaking with all the lighting effects. And in surround sound it scares the heck out of me.

toastynoodles

Board Supporter
Awards
U guys think the 9800 pro is a nice card $198 128mb ? intergarde gpu sucks dick it's a mx4 and my brother smoked the old ti4200 64mb that i had by oc the dam thing!!!!!!!!!!!

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
acutally; the 6800 nvidia is faster than the than the x800 ati in doom3... its because ati is better at direct3d-9 games vs the 6800 that is better at opengl; which is what doom3's engine uses..

PreMier

PreMier

Awards
I need to go buy this game.
We should set up a deathmatch league :D

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It plays pretty good at low quality 640x480.
Even at low quality, this game looks good.

FX5200 256mb video cards are $80 on www.pricewatch.com

I'm thinking of jumping big and getting an FX5800 or FX5900

Here's a 128mb FX5800 for $166
http://www.buyxtremegear.com/vc125127.html

The FX5200 is a really really pukish card. Its even slower than the GF4 models that it was suppose to replace. Pony up an extra $20 to get the 9600Pro or Nvidia equivalent.

Another 'scam' is the new X600, this budget next gen card from ATI is slower than current cards and isn;t worth the $170 or whatever it costs.

I prefer to wait since the newer cards have coincided with many new games and prices are f*kin ridiculous.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
U guys think the 9800 pro is a nice card $198 128mb ? intergarde gpu sucks dick it's a mx4 and my brother smoked the old ti4200 64mb that i had by oc the dam thing!!!!!!!!!!!

9800Pro is pretty decent, don't spend extra and get the 9800XT. See if you can get a better deal by buying used or refurb.

toastynoodles

Board Supporter
Awards
So how's doom 3 guys FUN????updates

Meerschaum

Awards
MY badass setup is ready, is yours?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33088

"The bar has been genuinely raised for the first time since Half-Life. DOOM 3 is the best first-person shooter ever made."
you guys should check out the benchmark scores over on www.anandtech.com interpret however you want, bottom line is w/o a quite modern, quite high model cpu and video card your not going to play this game above 640x480 on low settings.

I figure I'm going to lay down the cash for a 3ghz 533FSB chip for my rig and wait until I can get my hands on a Leadtek GeForce FX6800 or better

toastynoodles

Board Supporter
Awards
you guys should check out the benchmark scores over on www.anandtech.com interpret however you want, bottom line is w/o a quite modern, quite high model cpu and video card your not going to play this game above 640x480 on low settings.

I figure I'm going to lay down the cash for a 3ghz 533FSB chip for my rig and wait until I can get my hands on a Leadtek GeForce FX6800 or better
Well 50 fps with the 9800pro don't sound to bad at 1024x786 for me and 68fps at 800x600
my comp specs
motherboard-FIC AU31,chipset-nVIDA Crush 18g+mcp-TAGPset
processors-amd +3200
mem-512 pc2700 333FSB/mem
video-gefore4 mx integrated
speakers-creative-I-trigue 2.1
audio-integrated
-------------------------
i need to get a few things like
mem-pc3200 1 gig 512x2 so i can run my comp at 400FSB/mem and use it at 128-bit dual channel mem
video card 9800 pro
A nice soud card

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This game kicks some serious ass. I was skeptical when reading about the type of immersive tension that Id software was trying to create, as their previous shooters have been more of the just run around and shoot **** variety. However, with this release, they've managed to create the same kind of player interaction as titles such as system shock 2, half-life, etc. This is truly the first game that has really put me on edge when playing, truly creepy stuff abound.

I'm running a P4 3.0Ghz machine with 1024MB Pc2700 Ram, and a radeon x800 pro. At 1280*1024 and high detail the game is very playable, but with the odd slowdown issue when multiple monsters are onscreen at once. I've read ATI is releasing a beta patch for this game, hopefully that'll coax a few more fps out of the game for ATI users such as myself.

drei

Awards
Gotta love this game

I was playing Doom 3 last night with headphones on and the lights out. I ended up turning the lights back on because between the surround sound and shyt jumping out at you I got scard shitless. Resident Evil don't have shyt on this game!

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
if anyone is still at the beginning, once everything breaks loose--go back into the bathroom on the first mission; its near the kitchen area i believe... blood will be everywhere...
turn your flashlight on and take a close look at yourself in the mirror...
that made me scream like a little girl... and the evil laughter you hear every once in a while, you know something is going to happen but when it does you still get scared lol

coofoostu

Awards
Yeah that was pretty scary bean. I honestly have never played a game this scary. Every time I walk into a new room and the lights power down i just turn my ass around and run as fast as I can like a little girl lol.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
TWEAK YOUR DOOM 3 FOR UBER SICKNESS

All you have to do to speed up your Doom III is to change one key in Doomconfig.cfg file and your game will go much faster,

Find Doomconfig.cfg file in x:\Program Files\Doom 3\base and open it in Notepad.

Look for the line seta image_cacheMegs "32".

Change 32 to 96, 128, 256 or as high as you want to go in terms of memory usage. I'd set it to something at around 50% of your total memory.

Congratulations, your game is now gonna run ALOT smoother....

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sweet, I'll have to give that tweak a try straightaway. I've yet to try out the ati beta driver as of yet, but from most of what I've read it doesn't make a huge difference in performance anyway.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Injury / Rehab 0
General Chat 11
Evan666 Supplement Logs 127
Anabolics 1
UNCfan1 General Chat 112