What do you think about The Singularity?

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
A brief synopsis:

Technological singularity refers to the hypothetical future emergence of greater-than human intelligence. Since the capabilities of such an intelligence would be difficult for an unaided human mind to comprehend, the occurrence of technological singularity is seen as an intellectual event horizon, beyond which the future becomes difficult to understand or predict. Nevertheless, proponents of the singularity typically anticipate such an event to precede an "intelligence explosion", wherein superintelligences design successive generations of increasingly powerful minds. The term was coined by science fiction writer Vernor Vinge, who argues that artificial intelligence, human biological enhancement or brain-computer interfaces could be possible causes for the singularity. The concept is popularized by futurists like Ray Kurzweil and widely expected by proponents to occur in the early to mid twenty first century.

Here's some reading for your enjoyment...

Transhumanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Singularity Is Near - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Transcendent Man (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Predictions made by Ray Kurzweil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baraketh

Baraketh

Awards
I think it's defnitely going to happen, since the beginning of time, humanity has always looked to enhance their abilities though countless different methods.

bowhunter28

bowhunter28

Awards
  • Established
I had a professor that was working with the military to develop a "pill" that you swallow that will "wi-fi enable your brain" He said that singularity is very real and will be here within the next thirty years or so. That is some crazy ****

Baraketh

Baraketh

Awards
I had a professor that was working with the military to develop a "pill" that you swallow that will "wi-fi enable your brain" He said that singularity is very real and will be here within the next thirty years or so. That is some crazy ****
That's insane, then comes the brain hacking ....

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sure. Why not? In the 90's did every one envision an Iphone? Nope.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looking forward to connecting my brain to the internet directly. Unlimited access to information, woot! Mind control? Pshaw!

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I know I plan on adopting technology like this as soon as I get the chance. I would love to have something in my body that would help fight disease, make me smarter, stronger, faster, etc.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I'm personally surprised that the internet itself hasn't become self-conscious, yet.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Would be like having an all knowing third eye!!

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Interesting reads,.. esp the singularity is near!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
If The Singularity can be contained to human development then I'm all for it. If autonomous Artificial Intelligence arises from the event, kill it. Kill it with fire. With the rate of technological advance increasing at an exponential rate it would be impossible to ensure that Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics would be hardwired in to every technological device thereafter.

I'm sure that the military would be all over this for enhanced command and control. That is probably why they are so invested in these types of affairs. As 'cool' as I think the idea of cybernetic augmentation would be I would be afraid of the ease of compromising the system. The Manchurian scenario would be that much more plausible if cybernetic augmentation included any sort of connection to The Internet or if any device would be connected to brain function and have ability to send/receive data.

While we should be open to advanced in technology, we should also take the time to understand the benefits and more importantly the consequences of exponential technological advance.

Now...STAND BACK, I'M GOING TO TRY SCIENCE! :)