Can you get car keys made w/o the key?

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My g/f was at work today filing some paperwork in the back (shes works at a law office); no one was in the front, and i guess her purse was on the floor by her desk.

Shes looked everywhere, and it's obviously not there. She had her drivers license, CC, ATM, social security card, cell phone, and car keys in there.

Shes called the bank and canceled her CC and ATM card, dunno what shes gonna do about the SS card, but she only had one set of keys to her car because she lost the other set a while back.

Are you able to get keys made for a car w/o having a key, or is she gonna have to get new door locks, and and a new starter lock.

skeptical

Awards
I've been able to get keys before. So long as it's a late model car, just call up the dealership. If you give them the VIN, they should be able to make you a new key.

Otherwise, a locksmith can make a new key without installing a new lock--it's a pretty simple process.

Hope that helps.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I believe you have to purchase a whole new car. Once the key is lost, it's no good anylonger. :rofl:

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
JB, she needs to make a police report and keep the case number where she can find it for later use. Identity theft is one of the main crimes right now. The police report will assist her for credit purposes later on, if the SS number is being used in a crime. If she makes the report too much after her SS number has been used, then it may cause her financial problems.

Also, she can apply for a new SS card, but it will have the same number.

Make sure she has her cellphone service turned off. She may have insurance on the phone through the cell company, and may get a replacement phone with a new number.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
thanks guys, i told her to do all that was suggested, the police are coming over to take down a police report within in the next two hours. Also they have camera's in her office, that they're gonna check after work and see if they can find anything, but probabaly not, her desk is at a very bad angle.
This is gonna really set her back financially for a while , but theres no point in dwelling on it now, whats done is done, gotta just tie up the loose ends with it, and move on. :)

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Make sure she has her cellphone service turned off. She may have insurance on the phone through the cell company, and may get a replacement phone with a new number.
no, she doesnt. I got her that cellphone 2 weeks ago. Damnit oh well. We forgot about the phone thing. She called cingular and whoever has her phone made a call on it.

We got the name, number, and address of the person that was called, shes gonna give it to the police, dont know if it'll do anything though.

Last edited:

rsray1975

Board Supporter
Awards
Yeah you can go to the dealership with the vin number and they can make new keys that way. They might ask for to see the title or something to prove the car is hers. Criminals are doing this to steal cars. They walk by car right down vin # and go to dealership. Recently dealerships here started asking for title before they do that.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
Are you able to get keys made for a car w/o having a key, or is she gonna have to get new door locks, and and a new starter lock.
Yeah but a lock smith would have to come out to make a wax duplicate of the locks and ignition. It's possible that she would have to get the locks to her doors and trunk changed, just in case. Trust me, I had to get my trunk lock changed when someone opened it and stole my gym bag. :frustrate

BigP0ppa3

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but a lock smith would have to come out to make a wax duplicate of the locks and ignition. It's possible that she would have to get the locks to her doors and trunk changed, just in case. Trust me, I had to get my trunk lock changed when someone opened it and stole my gym bag. :frustrate
This is only if you take it to a locksmith for a new key.

Like the guys stated in previous posts - if you take it to a dealership all they need is the VIN to cut you a new set of keys.

BP