Internet Blacklist Bill

1. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Internet Blacklist Bill

I figured my fellow denizens of the net would like to see this new encroachment upon our freedom:

THIS WEEK Senators will be voting on a "Ten Strikes" bill to make it a felony to stream copyrighted content -- like music in the background of a Youtube video -- more than ten times.

As the writers at TechDirt point out, under this bill you could go to jail for posting video of your friends singing karaoke:

The entertainment industry is freaking out about sites that embed and stream infringing content, and want law enforcement to put people in jail over it, rather than filing civil lawsuits.... We already pointed to one possibility: that people embedding YouTube videos could face five years in jail. Now, others are pointing out that it could also put kids who lip sync to popular songs, and post the resulting videos on YouTube, in jail as well.

That's right: Ten strikes and you could get jail time. Less than two weeks ago, the Hollywood industry magazine, Variety, reported, "Industry lobbyists pressed House members on Wednesday to pass legislation that would make illegal streaming of movies, TV shows and other types of content a felony...."

Please link your Congressman and representatives! If you like you can go to the following link and email them on this subject:
    URGENT: Congress Wants To Make Streaming A Felony | Demand Progress
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

Eesh, what a joke.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

I don't think I get it; are they saying that if I go on Facebook and embed YouTube videos on my wall or someone else's wall 10 times I can be arrested?
    •   

4. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

My current understanding is that so much as sharing a link to any video not copyrighted to you counts as one of the 10 strikes. So your buddy uploads something on youtube and you share it on facebook would be a violation. I have not read the bill in its entirety yet, still wading through it, but it's freaking b.s.

Of course, the intended effect is to prevent people from watching pirated movies online, but c'mon now, this is retarded.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

sheesh
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

This is getting ridiculous, next they are going to try to tax air....I can see it now in 2-3 years they'll try to make that a bill and a bathroom tax. Everytime you have to take a **** at a public place you have to pay taxes.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.

First I just wanna say - who elected these retards? Oh, right... oops.

It's impossible for me to believe they would track down and try every person who posts an uploaded indie rock song to ten friends Facebook wall. If they do - serious waste of tax payer money, as if you have nothing better to do?

And they wonder why Congress's approval rate is like -183,745,629,468%
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Ordering from the internet
    By mbj217 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 01:44 AM
  2. Internet filtering WTF??
    By Kurruptive in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
  3. Internet bloggs