Anyone a US Marine?

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
i been decidin since 2007 if i should sign up or not. most of my friends signed up and been trying to get me to sign up also. every time i ask one how it is in the corps they all say the same thing. u either hate it so much u cant wait to finish ur term or ull luv it so much that ud never wanna leave. only thing holding me back is thinking about the boot camp, im a really heavy sleeper and comin back with a missing arm or something. i really dont want to go back to school next semester cuz i really hate it and would def like to go somewhere in the middle east or somewhere outside the US. so let me just ask u Marines this, how do(or did) u like like in the corps and is it honestly worth signing ur life away to the government?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
it looka like youve made an argument for not joining the marines.so thats your answer dont join.
rest assured your life is going to be completely turned upside down and you will eat sleep breathe US mARINES.
If you have a decent life already , hold down a good job , able to do the things you want to do when you want to do them , then stick with a civilian life.
You will be told what to do and when to do it , you wont have to think.
Apart from anything else , when you get posted to a war zone , think of the anxiety youre going to give to those who are close to you,
Theres no conscription in your country , enrollment is voluntary as here in the UK , but if you dont need to do it , dont .

Im not suggesting this applies to your friends , but tghe armed forces is usually for those that really do have a passion to defend what their country believes in, those that have a family tradition of being in the armed forces and the no -hopers -a group of people who have failed in civilian life , no qualifications , carnt get work , see no way forward to better themselves, so the forces becomes the only option .

Stay away is my view , enjoy your life as a civilian

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
dam, idk. its all i been thinkin about for the past couple days, i got till next month to make my decision, one of my buddies comin back from afghanistan next week, maybe he could help me out

joedf

Awards
Alot depends on how you approach it. Are you single, married? Military life can be hard on a marriage. Especially during deployments. If you're a single guy, and don't have anything tying you down, you'll have a blast. Live in the barracks, eat at the chow hall, don't marry a local girl. You can save tons of money. After you get done with your training, (boot camp, mct, mos, etc) and provided your not deployed, it's just a job. you get up, run pt, go to work, eat lunch, back to work, Course a lot depends on your mos too. I was a 2111, small arms repair (armorer) so thats how may day usually went. Head to the gym after work. Can't remember the exact name, it was either called area 2 or area 4 gym at Camp Lejuene, but it was awesome. Pretty hardcore. Liberty on weekends. During the summer we would head down to Myrtle Beach. About 10 of us would pile into a room and party all weekend.
Getting deployed is just part of the job, a lot depends on what you do. You may be in the middle of a hot zone, or doing gater squares on some ship somewhere. All I know is if I had to do it all over again, I would have done some things different, but...I would do it in a heartbeat.

montesj88

Awards
Ive been in the reserves 4 years this month now. Up until returning from deployment my experience was good.I hurt my back while on deployment(non combat related, it was work related) and for the past two years have been fighting for disability. Also been trying to prove that i have not been malingering. Its been a hard road and a very long uphill battle, but even considering my negative experience is still feel as if the pros outweigh the cons.

The benefits received are beyond amazing. The post 9/11 GI bill basically pays your tuition for 4 years and gives you rent money. What this means is that after you've served your country for at least 3 years active duty, that your country is serving you by sending you to school worry free of bills to get your degree. Also there are many other benefits such as home loans that if you are a veteran you don't have to make a down payment. These are just a couple of the benefits but if you look hard enough you'll see the vast amount of benefits that are out there.

Lastly, the most important pro is the self respect and honor you earn. Being a part of the military is seen in high regards to most people ( not too high here in San Francisco seeing as how liberal the city is). From my experience the day i came home from Iraq was the proudest day of my life and have cherished that feeling since.

Theres a bunch of factors that should be noted when making your decision but imo the long term factors out-rule any of the day to day bull**** you gotta deal with while your in.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm a Navy Corpsman and spent more than half 11 years with the Marines. I have stuff to post for ya, but feel it may be more than what I want to do on my iPhone here. When I get to my laptop tomorrow night I'll jump on throw my 2 cents in.

For now I'll say I've loved being in the service and ask anyone of my Marines and they'll all tell ya I'm as much a Marine as any one of them.

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
im single, not plannin on school next semester, my job sucks since i barely have anymore hours, honestly dont feel like im leavin anything behind. i wanted to do airforce cuz i always wanted to fly a jet but its a lot of school and looks crazy

joedf

Awards
I'm a Navy Corpsman and spent more than half 11 years with the Marines. I have stuff to post for ya, but feel it may be more than what I want to do on my iPhone here. When I get to my laptop tomorrow night I'll jump on throw my 2 cents in.

For now I'll say I've loved being in the service and ask anyone of my Marines and they'll all tell ya I'm as much a Marine as any one of them.
When I saw Navy, the first thing that popped into my head was Pollywog To Shellback. Lol.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I saw Navy, the first thing that popped into my head was Pollywog To Shellback. Lol.
It would be cool to get my shellback but I've only ever been on a ship for 1 wk and with a Marine unit. Too be honest I'm green side through and through and do not have my g desire to be stationed on a ship. I just got to see my great uncles shellback charge certificate from 1948.. very cool piece of history

joedf

Awards
It would be cool to get my shellback but I've only ever been on a ship for 1 wk and with a Marine unit. Too be honest I'm green side through and through and do not have my g desire to be stationed on a ship. I just got to see my great uncles shellback charge certificate from 1948.. very cool piece of history
I never got to do it either. My friend and I got deployed to two different ships, at the same time. He was on the Wasp, and I was on the Theodore Roosevelt. He crossed the equater and got to do it. He said it was a blast, ate the cherry and everything. We were sent to the Red Sea to enforce the no fly zone over Iraq. We went through the Suez Canal. I got a certificate for doing that, but it's know where as cool as the shellback one.

joedf

Awards
im single, not plannin on school next semester, my job sucks since i barely have anymore hours, honestly dont feel like im leavin anything behind. i wanted to do airforce cuz i always wanted to fly a jet but its a lot of school and looks crazy
I don't wanna romantisize it, cause a lot of it can suck, but it can be a great experience too. I have things that I will always remember. Even after all this time, I can still remember what the receiving barracks from boot camp smelled like, and that Paris Island swamp smell on a humid morning.
:drillsergeant:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't wanna romantisize it, cause a lot of it can suck, but it can be a great experience too. I have things that I will always remember. Even after all this time, I can still remember what the receiving barracks from boot camp smelled like, and that Paris Island swamp smell on a humid morning.
:drillsergeant:
Agreed, a lot can suck and you can deal with a lot of bullsh*t, but that can be in any profession. Just a matter of what kind of bullsh*t you are willing to deal with.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i been decidin since 2007 if i should sign up or not. most of my friends signed up and been trying to get me to sign up also. every time i ask one how it is in the corps they all say the same thing. u either hate it so much u cant wait to finish ur term or ull luv it so much that ud never wanna leave. only thing holding me back is thinking about the boot camp, im a really heavy sleeper and comin back with a missing arm or something. i really dont want to go back to school next semester cuz i really hate it and would def like to go somewhere in the middle east or somewhere outside the US. so let me just ask u Marines this, how do(or did) u like like in the corps and is it honestly worth signing ur life away to the government?

Boot camp... will suck of course, while you are there, but that passes and in the end everyone looks back at it and is like whatever. Most everything that sucked for me while being in I look back on and feel it wasn't all that bad and even look back on it favorably. Heavy sleeper? No worries, I have a horrendous time getting up int he mornings and trust me if I can manage anyone can. As far as deployments in combat zones and getting hurt and all, it's something that you will need to decide if you are willing to accept that possibility. As you will deploy, no way around that. Psychologically, being in the service, training, doing all of your work ups and everything for the deployment is actually a long methodical process that helps prepare one for such things. Many of my friends tell me they either admire or don't understand how I can do it. I tell them it's like them in graduate school. They've been doing essays, papers, and all that for years so when it's time to do their 50 page thesis they just get down to it and start knocking out pages. Me? Even if it was the last thing I had to do for my degree if I was told a I had to do a long a$$ thesis like that I would quit right there and then. I haven't trained, and am not prepared for that, not having had so much school and workloads. I've spent months and years prepping for what I do and so have they for their stuff. I enjoy deploying to be honest. I get to be out there kicking in doors, killing bad guys, and saving lives. I get to do my job and be there for my Marines when they need me. It's a Warrior's Ethos that I have developed. As far as "signing your life away" it does have some effect on your life, but it is not like you never get time off or can't have any other portion of your life. I personally don't like that phrase. It's too negative IMO. I prefer commitment (it's more positive and empowering, giving myself control as I made the decision). I have made a commitment to the Navy, everyone I work along side of, and to my family and country. 4 years really does go by quick and if at the end you want out, get out. Most people whom I know who hated being in do look back at their time in a romantic light and serving has made me a much stronger and better person in life. I've made some of the closest friends in life and that is saying a lot because I never grew up with many. Seen too many countries to list, some dangerous like Iraq and some straight party fun like Thailand. Have grown as a person, learned more than I ever thought I would, developed immense tools for jobs and life as well. Even when you take away specific skills or trades the leadership and maturity is gold in the civilian sector. Most any job can teach someone the ABC's of a job and have them repeat it daily, but leadership, running a shop, discipline etc are things that are so dynamic they are hard to teach, take a lot of effort and time. Companies and organizations love this stuff. Most of their employees when applying when young have not much experience, but here comes a kid who at 18, 19, whatever was directly in charge of 3, 12, 40 people etc, often times to include their lives and/or were responsible for millions of dollars of equipment. Gold man, just gold. In regards to pay and benefits, it may not seem like much at first when at the lower ranks, but it's still pretty competitive and as you progress gets damn decent. I take home about $2200 every 2 weeks base pay, also get $325 for food monthly, $2200 for housing each month, and in my position and skills collect a pretty penny in special pays. When deployed to a tax free zone? Forget about it. Health and dental are a big bonus... many discount it because they feel they are young and healthy and don't really need it... true, but when young and healthy and you get seriously hurt or ill to the point you need medical care, it is likely pretty big and not something petty. This kind of thing can break someone financially.

Man I can go on forever. If you have anymore questions or thoughts, post them up. I'll get back to you, but it needs to be before Sunday as I will be deploying out of country for awhile. Not too long, about a month. Otherwise I'll check here when I get back and answer them then.

Best of luck man

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
It all depends the Marine Corps can be pretty cool, or it can really suck. Do you have any idea what kinda job you would want?? Next with you being a junior Marine you are going to deploy 9 times out of 10. Also the 4th Mar DIV is for guys that want to play Marine once a month, aka reservist are fukking lame..

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It all depends the Marine Corps can be pretty cool, or it can really suck. Do you have any idea what kinda job you would want?? Next with you being a junior Marine you are going to deploy 9 times out of 10. Also the 4th Mar DIV is for guys that want to play Marine once a month, aka reservist are fukking lame..
Speaks the truth in his last line

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with alot of these guys here. You get alot of of enlisting any branch. I'm Air Force and i love it. Its hard on us married guys being away from my kid and wife. But you know your making a difference every day you put that uniform on. I know im making the world safe for my son and wife. Im currently on orders and like everyone says it sucks, but the money is nice. Cause you arent spending it and your just working. My only advice is if you want to join up with any branch is do your research see what each has to offer and then make your choice. But know your civilian life will be gone so don't go expecting life to be the same as it is now.

JerseyDrew77

JerseyDrew77

Awards
Joining the military is a big step in life but make sure you join for the right reasons. I've been in the Army since '95. Did MI (military intelligence) for 3 to 4 years then became a Ranger. Was a Ranger for another 4 years and then I moved up to Special Forces (Green Beret) and love what I do. I would not change a thing and I have been married for 5.5 years and still going strong with one child, for now. So I have 16 years in and might retire in 4 years. So if you do join, just make the best out of it and the friends you make in the military will be the best.

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
a lot of great stuff here guys, im really gettin into it. my ex came back this weekend for memorial and wanted to patch things up with her but womans a bitch and she would be the only reason i wouldnt join. im gonna visit a recruitment station this week for more questions. i was either planning on goin dirty and doin infantry but i wanna see if thers anythin i can do writing, English was my planned major. hows the pay when u start, like first year?

JerseyDrew77

JerseyDrew77

Awards
a lot of great stuff here guys, im really gettin into it. my ex came back this weekend for memorial and wanted to patch things up with her but womans a bitch and she would be the only reason i wouldnt join. im gonna visit a recruitment station this week for more questions. i was either planning on goin dirty and doin infantry but i wanna see if thers anythin i can do writing, English was my planned major. hows the pay when u start, like first year?
Sorry for the delayed response. Been busy coming back home and getting back to a normal life, somewhat. Anyway, to find out what your pay would be, google 2011 military pay chart or go talk to a recruiter. So what branch did you finally decide to join and what MOS?