enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
to get by boy working out?

I know, obviously, it's too soon right now. He'll be turning 4 Sept 27th..

Part of the reason I'm asking is this: Don't flame me too much, it's the Marine in me:drillsergeant:

When it comes time to discipline my boy, I was thinking of rather than spank him, make him exercise. Basically like our DI's did in boot camp. They'd wear us out!

When can his body handle push-ups? I'm guessing jumping jacks, (side-straddle hops), mountain climbers & running in place isn't too rough right now is it?

I want to put a pull-up bar in my back yard too to get him doing pull-ups & leg raises..

Give me some honest opinions. Is this more cruel than a good old fashioned spanking? I had to spank him pretty good the other day & hated it! I felt like crap cuz he just looked at me w/ those sad eyes the rest of the day.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My dad had me in martial arts at age 4 or 5. I remember having to do push ups when I was late... Like I had any control over if i was late! I couldn't even ride a bike without training wheels!!!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A lot of the Chinese olympic lifters start around age 5. Their training involves cleans and jerks, snatches, squats, etc. They don't look deformed to me. Should be good to go around then.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For some reason i hear people suggest 13 as the age to start strength training. I think body weight exercises would be fine at any age.

middleageguy

middleageguy

Awards
to get by boy working out?

I know, obviously, it's too soon right now. He'll be turning 4 Sept 27th..

Part of the reason I'm asking is this: Don't flame me too much, it's the Marine in me:drillsergeant:

When it comes time to discipline my boy, I was thinking of rather than spank him, make him exercise. Basically like our DI's did in boot camp. They'd wear us out!

When can his body handle push-ups? I'm guessing jumping jacks, (side-straddle hops), mountain climbers & running in place isn't too rough right now is it?

I want to put a pull-up bar in my back yard too to get him doing pull-ups & leg raises..

Give me some honest opinions. Is this more cruel than a good old fashioned spanking? I had to spank him pretty good the other day & hated it! I felt like crap cuz he just looked at me w/ those sad eyes the rest of the day.
Weight Lifting Program for Kids
(It was once believe that weight lifting could damage growth plates, thus causing stunted growth in kids, but that idea has been proven false.)
http://www.livestrong.com/article/229323-weight-lifting-program-for-kids/

I am assuming you have your own weight lifting equipment, home gym?
I am asking this because if you want to take your son to the gym or even an apartment gym more than likely there not going to let you.
I had tried taking my daughter to an apartment gym with me for her to just use the cycle or walk while I did weight lifting and was ask by management not to bring her anymore. We moved to another apartment and my daughter asked the management how old she had to be to go to the gym and was told 12.
Well shortly after she turned 11 we started going, having her come in the back door, eventually they saw her and said nothing, then one casually asks her age and I said 12, so we are fudging it a bit. After about 6 months we had her starting comming in the front door and managment says nothing, they know she is comming. She turns 12 next month.

We do weight training together. I have taught and teach her to respect the equipment and weights and to do proper technique and form. I am not trying to turn her into a female body builder, just tone her up. She has lost 20lbs. Now at almost 12 she is 4ft 10in and approximately 100lbs, she wants to get down to 90lbs. It has given her more confidence, more energy, she looks so much better. It is great quality time together.

I would say your son is not too young to do some light weight lifting and exercises together.
But I would also say to do this as quality time together, have it fun something he does with dad. You can use punishment of not being able to workout together if he misbehaves. Don’t make him associate exercise with punishment, he may end up hating it and you to a degree. You will see him trying to aspire to be like you and want to increase the weights and lifts quickly. Use some common since and have him using light weights. You can pick up women’s 1lb up to 10lb curl weights really cheap at your local used store or on craigslist.

You and your son have a good time together. Spend some quality time together. He very well may start behaving better all the time. Just because of the bond you two will develop and both of you will have something in common with each other.

I am going to stop rambling on.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
thanks for the input!! Yeah, it makes sense. If I punish him w/ exercise, he may not want to do it w/ me! It was late when I posted that, so I guess I didn't think it all the way through.

I might get some light db's for him to mess around w/.. I go to a gym, so that's not an option just yet. I used to see this one guy in there though w/ his son & just loved seeing it. I had to stop & ask him about it. I don't remember the kids age, but he said that his son gets up every morning & wakes him up to take him to the gym! Awesome stuff..

I don't plan on having him try some sort of bulking routine. I'd just like to get him familiar w/ "exercise & weight training".. Like you, I'd show him proper form & tell him the strength will come over time..

Thanks again guys!

Stl_Lift

Stl_Lift

Awards
“They” say that until boys start to produce testosterone (around 13) that any muscles building program won’t be very affective. I agree that sports and martial arts would be better in the early years to teach discipline, coordination and form.