- 07-13-2004, 07:20 AM
Artcile i read in the metro (free London paper)
Several international athletes have asked US scientist to genetically
modify their bodies to make them unbeatable, it was claimed yesterday.
They sought to make use of a ground-breaking technique which may be able
to alter DNA to boost their power, speed and stamina. Prof Lee Sweeney,
a gene therapist at Pennsylvania University School of Medicine, said
several athletes asked him to use the treatment on them.
Some coaches offered their athletes as guinea pigs for use in his
experiments; he added "This kind of gene therapy could transform the
lives of the elderly and people with muscular dystrophy. Unfortunately,
it is also a dream come true for an athlete bent on doping'. A string of
athletes, notably Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson, have been barred from
athletics for using banned drugs. But the World Anti-Doping Agency said
it feared GM sportsmen may compete at next months Olympic Games.
Similar Forum Threads
- By windwords7 in forum SupplementsReplies: 10Last Post: 03-27-2003, 04:43 PM
- By YellowJacket in forum SupplementsReplies: 0Last Post: 03-15-2003, 06:36 PM
- By YellowJacket in forum Weight LossReplies: 22Last Post: 03-03-2003, 10:27 AM
- By YellowJacket in forum Exercise ScienceReplies: 0Last Post: 02-17-2003, 07:38 PM
- By windwords7 in forum Weight LossReplies: 3Last Post: 12-27-2002, 03:56 AM