Heart Hypertrophy

Meerschaum

Awards
Hello, I am a new member here ;) , I searched this site and didnt find much info or discussion about heart hypertrophy (a potential side effect I find particulerly scary) from AAS/GH so I thought I'd start a thread about it. (I apologise if this is the incorrect place to post this but seems a 'general' topic)

I found this info and it looks sensible and logical and so on

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/articles/koert/anabolic-steroids-gh-and-the-heart.htm

Quote from article:"Steroids don’t damage the heart, the researchers found. But the combination of steroids and growth hormone does."

Do you think this is correct information?, also if this is indeed correct and GH is the cause of heart hypertrophy would IGF-1 potentially exhibit the same affect upon ones heart?.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yes cardiac tissue hypertrophy is a risk of AAS use. The heart will keep growing growing growing until BBAABOOOM you expire in a red mist when your heart bursts out of your chest like the scene in Aliens. heheh

Anyway Meso has a few more articles by Haycock about the issue with more studies. The Finnish study he mentions has the title - AAS produces dose dependent increases in LVH, which goes against Haycocks conclusion. I think the bottom line is that AAS effects on LVH are minor compared to joint GH/AAS use - I remembered another study Haycock quoted which said all steroid using athletes as compared to only some clean athletes passed a certain threshold of LVH. Then there is the good news that LVH can be reduced during a washout period. I'm sure there are other studies if you do a search for LVH and steroids/AAS.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Its also tough to tell the difference between AAS use and just heavy resistance exercise. Enlargement of the heart has been linked to heavy resistance training wiht or withouth AAS use.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Oh yeah, Welcome!

:trout:

Meerschaum

Awards
Its also tough to tell the difference between AAS use and just heavy resistance exercise. Enlargement of the heart has been linked to heavy resistance training wiht or withouth AAS use.
Hi and thanks for the reply and the welcome :D, I had read it was linked to heavy resistance training, but is that article correct in saying that its compounded by adding gH and not so much by adding AAS?. What do you think bobo?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Oh I agree, I think it definetly has a negative effect in the long rnu when taken at high doses (anything over HRT levels).

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bobo,
Would it be fair to say that cardiac tissue hypertrophy (together with LVH) is just another side-effect that steroid users have to take since the heart which is all muscle like skeletal muscle should be affected by steroids.

Even the Australian study noted that _all_ of steroid using athletes had LVH over 11mm as compared to only _some_ of the non-steroid so we can't just brush off LVH as a normal physiological change due to weightlifting or athletic activity.

And there are some studies posted a while ago at Avant which seems to put AAs in a bad light wrt LVH. Something about fraternal twin studies.

It is good news though that the Finnish study suggests LVH can regress, does not affect diastolic function and is probably not permanent.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Thats a fair assumption. I think Nandi actually suffered from a condition such as this.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
!

I don't know Nandi's stats but is he like a 275lb bb with lots of anabolic experience?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Only problem with using fraternal twins is that they are not more alike that brothers and sister at different ages.. only thing is that they were born at the same time. I know way to many fraternal twins that are WAY different from each other..

Meerschaum

Awards
Thats a fair assumption. I think Nandi actually suffered from a condition such as this.
Do you think this is why some old time lifters like Arnold for example, have had heart surgery? or do you think this effect is not that pathological?