working out / muscle growth and tattoos...

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
What's up gents? I wanted to ask you all a quick question and collect your experience for those of you with knowledge and expereince on the subject.

In about 10 days I'm going to get a half sleeve (elbow up around the top of the shoulder) tatoo done. It will be going all the way around my arm, basically covering it all from my elbow up to the clavicle/trap area.

For the past few weeks I've been working a rotating shift at work and they are pretty weird hours. Basically I've found it very draining and stopped lifting weights and just stayed with some light cardio and calisthenics so I don't get completely out of shape. I've actually lost a fair amount of weight like this.

This shift rotation ends in about 3 weeks where I will be returning to lifting weights with muscle growth/recomp/staying lean but trying to gain as much muscle as possible the goals. I won't be going on any huge bulk or touching any PH's (at least for a long while). Just basically regaining strength and putting on some quality LBM in the process.

Will the muscle growth I'll be experiencing over the next few months distort or screw w/ my tattoo at all? I have several other tattoos, but none as large and comprehensive as this, and none in other places that have such growth potential as the arms...

My guess is as long as I don't start a Superdrol cycle a month after my tattoo and blow up out of my mind, I should be completely safe.

Other thoughts? Anyone else sort of have any of the same experiences?

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
Short answer: Yes.

Will the difference be problematic or even noticeable? Thats hard to say.

Skin shrinks/stretches...it has too.

Personally, I'd be more worried about what it's going to look like when you're old as **** and have wrinkly skin....lol

Good luck. Post some pics.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Look at it this way. How much difference across your bicep do you think you are going to make from having not trained to going back to training? an inch? not likely that much even. So call it 1 inch out of 16 at most, thats 6.25%. Maybe a little visible if your tattoo has a bunch of straight vertical parallel lines, but if its a dragon or general sort of design that goes on most sleeves it should be hardly noticeable.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
i have a half sleeve... i got it when i was 180 lbs... im 210ish right now... no difference

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Look at it this way. How much difference across your bicep do you think you are going to make from having not trained to going back to training? an inch? not likely that much even. So call it 1 inch out of 16 at most, thats 6.25%. Maybe a little visible if your tattoo has a bunch of straight vertical parallel lines, but if its a dragon or general sort of design that goes on most sleeves it should be hardly noticeable.
It's going to be a japanese koi fish sleeve, with some flowers, water, wind, and a skull/samurai mask hybrid going on. Going to be SICK!! :arms:

Personally, I'd be more worried about what it's going to look like when you're old as **** and have wrinkly skin....lol

Well you're not boosting my confidence here HAHA...but it's all good. I'm looking for honesty.

I'm not worried about what it looks like when I'm old. By that point I'll have been there done all that and I'm sure I'll just be trying to stay alive, not worry about how my japanese koi tattoo looks :lmao:

i have a half sleeve... i got it when i was 180 lbs... im 210ish right now... no difference
What's your half sleeve of? That's a bit reassuring. I've read some things online that as long as there isn't such a rapid increase or a very massive increase that I shouldn't have any problem.

I'm going to call the studio or stop in and talk to them tomorrow anyway. Just looking for some opinions.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
my half sleeve(soon to be full sleeve) is a reaper and roses on the outside /crow standing on a skull with an eyeball in his mouth (im a bit of a sick motherfu*cker)... thers a few demons in there too... its criptic and evil......

my artist has owned a shop for 19 years and been tattooing since he was 15... he told me he has never seen a tattoo get fed up by someone blowing up on sauce....

i blatantly asked him if i started shooting all types of bean if theres any chance it would get ****ed up.... he said no

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

For me when I'm old as **** and wrinkly I won't give a fukc you know. I'll be old, been with the same women for for who know how many decades, I'm not trying to pimp at a club anymore. IMO :biggthumpup:

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
Yah, for the record, I don't even have tats....probably shouldn't of put my opinion in.

And to all that said they won't give a F when they're old.....good point!

Good luck OP.

Oldnsweaty

Oldnsweaty

Awards
BurghHardcore, it sucks when work disrupts your workouts. But what can you do? Keeping up the cardio and calisthenics until you can get back to the weights is about it.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I've gained and lost weight, it's the story of my damn life, and I have tattoos, no sleeves, but no difference either,

TC

post pics :)

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know you are going to get that tattoo because IT IS COOL and you get lots of attentions but if you spend that money on juice and grow 20 30 more pounds you will look even MORE COOOL

lol you are going to regret that at 50 60 sooo badddddd, my father is 46 now and if you ask him if he could go back in his early 20s and change something, what would it be ? he will tell you that he would go back and not get that tattoo... he has a big tattooo on his forearm

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
bring something to bite on when he gets up in your armpit...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know you are going to get that tattoo because IT IS COOL and you get lots of attentions but if you spend that money on juice and grow 20 30 more pounds you will look even MORE COOOL

lol you are going to regret that at 50 60 sooo badddddd, my father is 46 now and if you ask him if he could go back in his early 20s and change something, what would it be ? he will tell you that he would go back and not get that tattoo... he has a big tattooo on his forearm
thats funny cause i'm 43, have tattoos dating back to when I was 18, and still am getting new ones and don't regret any.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have a cross on my back...hasnt changed.

but i do know a buddy at the gym who got a tribal band around his arm about 15 years ago....now...it doesnt go around his arm...it barely goes across it lol

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
bring something to bite on when he gets up in your armpit...
Oh yeah... that's the truth!

I only have one (right now), and it's probably 10 yrs old. I got it back in college about the time I started lifting. When I drew it out, it was 18", thought it would connect but it didn't. (Winning!) Fast forward to today, stretches 20" of arm, and the gap between the ends is the same. No problems whatsoever. Placement, for me, was probably key. It wraps my upper arm between the shoulder and bicep/tricep area.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

1st: Many people get tattoos for many different reasons, but mainly it's a form of self expression. Your comments really came off making you sound like a douchebag.

2nd: I'm just going to go ahead and say it... How ignorant of a statement is this! I mean, seriously who are you to tell someone what they will or will not regret. Especially someone you do not even know. Just because your father regrets certain decisions in his life does not mean someone else will have those regrets. By that reasoning the fact that I know quite a few people in their 50's, 60's and 70's who have no regrets about their tattoo's opposed to your one must mean that either your father or you are lying(?).

Next time try writing your feelings and opinions as yours and don't project them onto others. Most everyone on here appreciates insight so give it as that.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established

Wow man...then I suggest YOU don't get any tattoos. Because you obviously can't be anymore COOL than you already are! :firedevil:

I don't think tattoos make someone look cool...but if you get bad work done, then they certainly assist in making you look like a lameass, but you do a pretty good job of that with your mouth :yup:

How old are you dude?? Because you just acted like some angry high school or college kid..

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
1st: Many people get tattoos for many different reasons, but mainly it's a form of self expression. Your comments really came off making you sound like a douchebag.

2nd: I'm just going to go ahead and say it... How ignorant of a statement is this! I mean, seriously who are you to tell someone what they will or will not regret. Especially someone you do not even know. Just because your father regrets certain decisions in his life does not mean someone else will have those regrets. By that reasoning the fact that I know quite a few people in their 50's, 60's and 70's who have no regrets about their tattoo's opposed to your one must mean that either your father or you are lying(?).

Next time try writing your feelings and opinions as yours and don't project them onto others. Most everyone on here appreciates insight so give it as that.
Wow...very well put!!

That's all I was looking for was some input...not OPINIONS on whether or not tattoos will make me look "COOL" haha! I already know I'm cool.. :yup:

Maybe his old man was the one who got the tattoo thinking it would get him laid or something...realizing later on that douche bags don't get laid no matter what..

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
BurghHardcore, it sucks when work disrupts your workouts. But what can you do? Keeping up the cardio and calisthenics until you can get back to the weights is about it.
Right on brother! I'm chomping at the bit to get back to working w/ weights again. I didn't realize how much this shift would mess around with my internal clock and energy levels. I just can't get right!

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I've gained and lost weight, it's the story of my damn life, and I have tattoos, no sleeves, but no difference either,

TC

post pics :)
Hey TC. I'll post some pics when it's completely finished, which may not be until late May/Mid-June...gotta see. My artist said we could go up to 15hrs if I wanted. It just depends on how crazy and detailed I want to get. So it looks look I'll be needing 15 hours worth of work.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
my half sleeve(soon to be full sleeve) is a reaper and roses on the outside /crow standing on a skull with an eyeball in his mouth (im a bit of a sick motherfu*cker)... thers a few demons in there too... its criptic and evil......

my artist has owned a shop for 19 years and been tattooing since he was 15... he told me he has never seen a tattoo get fed up by someone blowing up on sauce....

i blatantly asked him if i started shooting all types of bean if theres any chance it would get ****ed up.... he said no
It sounds very cool man. Once I finish this next one, and get some money back in my pocket, I'll be finishing one on my back. With a day of the dead skull with some roses around it. Gotta love the demons :saevilw:

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
I heard that you have to almost double your body weight to skew a tattoo. I think the only way here it would change is if it gets stretched on way and only that way. Shrinking and expanding is only going to be like zooming in and out