Shaving: against the grain or not?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a thick and coarse beard and Ive been shaving for 25 years. Needless to say, I DESPISE IT. LOL

My job requires a clean shave so I only have weekends to SAVE MY FACE. Some times it's flat our bloody warfare.

I read you should never go against the grain. Any truth to this?

Also: Any other tips you all have learned over the years outside of the typical ones (HOT water prior, moisterizing big time,etc).

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't have thicker facial hair than most but do get a shaving rash around my neck, especially when I let it grow a bit longer and take it to the skin.

Exfoliating makes a huge difference in terms of getting spots on my neck. That and tweezing any ingrown hairs.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
P.S., can absolutely NOT shave against the grain unless I want my face to have a red rash all over it on that particular day.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a thick and coarse beard and Ive been shaving for 25 years. Needless to say, I DESPISE IT. LOL

My job requires a clean shave so I only have weekends to SAVE MY FACE. Some times it's flat our bloody warfare.

I read you should never go against the grain. Any truth to this?

Also: Any other tips you all have learned over the years outside of the typical ones (HOT water prior, moisterizing big time,etc).
I can shave against the grain with a new razor, but only advise it if you feel like you have hair that will stay otherwise. An older razor or everytime you shave would hurt like hell. Gillette makes a pre-shave facial scrub that works pretty good to minimize cuts and rash. If anything you can always go the electric route. I used an electric razor for about a year and a half. Works for not causing cuts and rashes but it can't compare to regular razor. I have a job that requires a clean appearance as well. The electric will do the job but you may have to use it multiple times through out the day as it just does not get as close as a standard blade.

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
shave with the grain. aftershave. dry

and then shave again AGAINST the grain. aftershave. dry

i do this almost every day. You will get the smoothest shave, trust me!

moisturizer and aftershave are key. i also like the gillete scrub as mentioned.

S

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just use a beard trimmer on zero. Everybody just assumes that my beard grows really fast since I always have a five o'clock shadow :lol:

The only time I clean shave is for things like weddings and job interviews.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
When I was in the military - I shaved against the grain because I got a closer shave and that eliminated some of the five o'clock shadow that would happen otherwise.

I'm out of the military now ... and **** ... I fired my barbor and my razor. I use an Braun electric - and once a week I shave (with the grain) just to get fairly close and catch up on the stuff the Braun won't take off.

If you can get away with it - shave with the grain.

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
When I was in the military I had to shave against the grain because my hair grows so fast. I still do but I have to use shaving cream and change my razors regularly. I only shave on Tuesday an Thursday now though. Sometimes Sunday. I work tues-fri. When I was in the military I invested in a nice electric razor. Until it broke, it was a life savor. I don't remember which I had, but it gave me a pretty close shave and really saved my face. It also saved time.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Against the grain leaves me smoother longer (like half a day), but if my razor is the least bit dull I get razor burn and bumpie.

I shave my head, too, in the warmer months and that's the same deal as my handsome face :D

Also shaving cream always makes me break out worse so I just use soap or manly body wash....

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
shave with the grain. aftershave. dry

and then shave again AGAINST the grain. aftershave. dry

i do this almost every day. You will get the smoothest shave, trust me!

moisturizer and aftershave are key. i also like the gillete scrub as mentioned.
Agreed, two passes for me too, first with the grain, second against.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Agreed, two passes for me too, first with the grain, second against.
I will third this option.

I shave in the shower in the morning...that way face is nice and hot and wet.
Cover in shaving cream
shave with the grain
rinse
cover in shaving cream
shave against the grain
rinse
PAT dry...do not rub
add face lotion with no scent

works for me...been doing it this way for 18+ years.

M

Musclehead69

Awards
I shave in all directions. I won't risk missing a spot. I recommend using Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Face Scrub prior to shaving.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I havE the same problem. I shave with the grain in the shower. Neosporin does wonders when used as after shave. Kills bacteria, helps heal, releives pain. I use the cream not the ointment. The ointment ruined clothes

S

sarguy

Awards
  • Established
I used to shave w/ a 3-bladed razor. Tried all sorts of crap, but still had hellacious razor burn. Then an uncle gifted me a Gillette safety razor (made in 1930s, no less). With a bit of learning from some youtube vids, I now have a close, razorburn free shave. Most days I just use two passes (1st with grain, 2nd perpendicular to grain), some days I use 4 passes. I rarely ever shave against the grain.

Using a good exfoliant and shave cream really helps me. I also use a bit of conditioner on my whiskers in the shower prior to shaving. Softens them up even more.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
I'm waiting for a black dude to chime in. They always have issues with this stuff. There's a special section in the beauty isle in walmarts dedicated to them. Are we missing out on some secret we don't know about?

S

sarguy

Awards
  • Established
Back in my corrections days we had a depillatory powder we issued them. Basically facial nair, to prevent the ingrown hair issues. That said, I know of at least one black poster on badgersandblades forum who shaves w/ a safety razor without problem. Technique has a lot to do with it, I guess.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm prone to the burn as well, but fortunately I don't have to shave every day and be too clean-cut. (Thusly getting away with having an 8" long goatee!) I use one of the 5-blade jobbies, warm water, and good ol' Barbasol sensitive skin variety. I shave every 3rd day, generally one pass, and in whatever direction. If you get the skin nice and warm first, it definitely helps. I notice that it always works out better for my skin to shave after a hot shower, but my morning routine/schedule doesn't always allow for that. (I'm weird.)

O

outkastjoe

Awards
I shave against the grain ever since I was in the military. I used to use shaving cream but now I just use water.
Tried shaving the boys that way and had razor burn for a few days. So I have to use shaving cream for the detailed manscaping which is only like 2x a week.

C

ChrisSurf

Awards
I never shave against the grain, thats like asking to has razor burn, in grown hairs etc. If you want to get a little closer with a razor shave your face sideways after shaving with the grain. I just shave with the grain as I'm one of those guys that can pull off that 5' oclock shadow all day lol

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I'm waiting for a black dude to chime in. They always have issues with this stuff. There's a special section in the beauty isle in walmarts dedicated to them. Are we missing out on some secret we don't know about?
They are prevalent to some disease that causes serious razor rash. In some predominantly black cities the "clean shave" rules that some employers have had to be adjusted.

C

ChrisSurf

Awards
They are prevalent to some disease that causes serious razor rash. In some predominantly black cities the "clean shave" rules that some employers have had to be adjusted.
It's more so their facial hair, they have thick, curly type hair which is easy to end up with razor burn and in grown hairs. White people generally just have hair that grows straight down.

updownupdown

updownupdown

Awards
Im always shaving against the grain w/ my hydro 5. I think skin type and hair texture makes a big difference on whether or not you should do it...

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
If no one else has mentioned it, try some of this stuff in the original scent if you don't like the fruity ones. It works wonders for the pubes also. It is sold under other brand names too.

Coochie.

This stuff is ESSENTIAL for manscaping. The wife uses it too .

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So much fail in this thread

As someone who considers himself a seasoned method or wet shaver (think old school with a brush, shaving soap or cream), I can say that there is so much bad information in this thread it has kept me from posting. First, there are multiple factors that will determine how you shave and anyone can shave against the grain you just need the right equipment. 1, that nine thousand blade, over priced POS you use is in fact terrible and cannot give a good shave in the traditional sense to save its life. 2, that shaving cream you use in a can is terrible and dries your skin out more than it moisturizes, don't believe me, look at the fact it has alcohol in it (not a moisturizer nor ar the surfactants that make it foam). 3, preparation is key and doing it after a hot shower where you wash your face is ideal. 4, if you want a good shave but don't want to get a safety razor or a brush and soap/creme, get yourself something called Cremo at the grocery store. It is far better than all the other crap you can buy. 5, a good aftershave will do a lot for you and they are not expensive. Adidas of all people make one, can get it at Walmart and it is $4 (great smell too, women love it).

Go on, flame me all you want but I don't ever get razor burn, can go two days without shaving and still not have a five o'clock shadow. And, I can show off my cool as double edged razor to women who seem to think it is something special. Anyways, I kept that as brief as I could even though I could have wrote about 4 full posts about it. :aargh: