Looking for some input somewhat long.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Ok here is a quick background, I am 30 years old and have been working out and training since I was about 15-16 years old. I am in excellent cardiovascular shape. I do not smoke and only drink socially about once or twice a week if that. I usually do about 40-45 minutes of cardio 4 times a week as well ad weight training 4-6 times a week. I do moderate to long runs with HIT mixed in. Yesterday morning I did a new workout which consisted of going a minute and a half of doing rope waves, jumping right into doing a minute of clean presses with a very light weight for a minute straight, moving right over to kettle bell swings for a minute straight then doing as many burpees as I could in a minute. We would take 2 minutes off then repeat the circuit we did the circuit 4 times.

After the first round my chest became tight and it was difficult for me to catch my breath. I became extremely fatigued but continued to make it through the workout. When the hell circuit was over my lungs felt like they were on fire and the tightness continued. I then completed my normal leg workout after doing this circuit and went home. Since the workout I have been having a problem taking deep breaths. Every time I breath in my lungs wheeze and it feels like I have mucous or something blocking the airway. Its driving me crazy.

I have had this happen before maybe about 3-4 times and it seems like it occurs when I push myself way to much. Does this happen to anyone else and is there anyway I can stop whatever is going on in my lungs ?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
i suggest you stop and go see a doc with your problem.The tightness in the chest may be a heart problem and cannot cope under these conditions.
I wouldnt carry on this routine until youve been fully checked out.

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Corsaking, I am planning on getting it checked out. I was not to concerned with my heart because the feeling was like my lungs were full of water. I could only manage to take like half and quarter breaths when I was trying to breath but you never know.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Chest pain/tightness is indicative of pulmonary or cardiovascular distress. That being said, if the pain only occurs when you are extremely active and pushing your limits, a doctor will probably just tell you to take it easy and you'll just burn the price of the co-pay. It sounds to my like you may just coincidentally have a chest infection (which happens to me alot when the weather is cold) or, what happens to me alot is, when i go outside from hot (inside) to cold (outside) my lungs almost seize up a bit and I cant get a good breath. Usually it subsides after 20min or less.

If you breathing problems continue definitely go to a doctor. However, it sounds to me like you just got a bit of mucus in the lungs from an infection and you need to just rest up and get better.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like my kettle bell work out, add turkish getups and some cleans, some tire flipping and wow!!!! I am in good shape but it kills me, agreed with seeing a Doc....

Good luck

TC

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Toughchick, I wish I would have had these workouts years ago when I was in Highschool. On Monday I repeated that workout and then on Wed I tried a new one with 4 sets of tire flips, moving right into mountain climbers for a minute and a half, then right into a 30 ft rope climb. I have never dreaded and looked forward to working out at the same time until I started doing these workouts.

On a side note I went to the doctor Monday afternoon and I have a very very light case of asthma. The doctor said with the dry cold air this time of year its rather common among athletes.

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
I think thats why we stopped using kettle bells. In the old days they had a shorter life expectancy.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Toughchick, I wish I would have had these workouts years ago when I was in Highschool. On Monday I repeated that workout and then on Wed I tried a new one with 4 sets of tire flips, moving right into mountain climbers for a minute and a half, then right into a 30 ft rope climb. I have never dreaded and looked forward to working out at the same time until I started doing these workouts.

On a side note I went to the doctor Monday afternoon and I have a very very light case of asthma. The doctor said with the dry cold air this time of year its rather common among athletes.
I agree I love the work outs and hate them all the same...my trainer, trains all the police, fire guys on the east coast, he is brutal :)

Good luck :)