Who uses a tanning bed? - AnabolicMinds.com

Who uses a tanning bed?

  1. Senior Member
    votum's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,253
    Rep Power
    21286

    Reputation

    Who uses a tanning bed?


    Been wondering for years if I should go to a tanning bed...I'm a country boy with a year round farmers tan...but never really get tan above the knees and shoulders...

    Any health benefits or other benefits or is it just a sissy thing to do as I have thought my whole life?

  2. Advanced Member
    Movin_weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    802
    Rep Power
    1887

    Reputation

    I use one a couple times per month just to keep a little color. It also helps keep acne down when on gears
  3. New Member
    spartan300's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  140 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    247
    Rep Power
    195

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by votum View Post
    Been wondering for years if I should go to a tanning bed...I'm a country boy with a year round farmers tan...but never really get tan above the knees and shoulders...

    Any health benefits or other benefits or is it just a sissy thing to do as I have thought my whole life?
    they did link tanning beds to cancer. but that's not really a health benefit
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Rep Power
    135804

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I tan 5 days a week... I have really bad Eczema and it keeps it at by. Something with the UV lights kills it.
    Also helps with acne. And when you're tan you look lean lol

  5. New Member
    spartan300's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  140 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    247
    Rep Power
    195

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by StakedCop View Post
    I tan 5 days a week... I have really bad Eczema and it keeps it at by. Something with the UV lights kills it.
    Also helps with acne. And when you're tan you look lean lol
    have to tried to get medication from the doctors for your eczema. I think eczema is more of a inflammatory/immune response. Not sure what the UV is killing.
  6. Senior Member
    phatmike0704's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,508
    Rep Power
    4619

    Reputation

    i miss doin it, used to go 3-4 times a week at level 2. but for us pale skin people, ull hav to get burned first then ull get the tan. my ass was on fire for like a week. ima start doin it again soon
    if blow was characterized as a guy, consider me a homosexual :)
  7. New Member
    meathed's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    196

    Reputation

    I get free tanning at my gym so I take advantage of it a couple times a week. I have very oily skin so back acne can become an issue especially with androgens. The tanning pretty much eradicates it along with twice daily showers and benzoyl peroxide. No other real health benefit however. And, I would venture to guess that it increases one's risk of a skin condition or melanoma. I like to have some color as well. I am a pasty white norsk.
  8. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Rep Power
    135804

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by spartan300 View Post
    have to tried to get medication from the doctors for your eczema. I think eczema is more of a inflammatory/immune response. Not sure what the UV is killing.
    My doctor told me to tan... Lol

  9. New Member
    SolidusSnake's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    349

    Reputation

    Tanning increases testosterone.
    Tanning can get rid of acne and eczema.
    Tanning can make you look lean.
    Not everyone will get cancer from tanning..

    I tan about 3x a week.. I like it..
  10. New Member
    SolidusSnake's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    349

    Reputation

    Tanning beds and Vitamin D

    The best source of Vitamin D is the sun. In fact, we get eighty to one hundred percent of our Vitamin D from it. But if you go to a tanning salon, will you be getting the same benefit the sun gives you? A sunless tan means not getting a tan directly from the sun, so where will you be getting it from? Read on to find out more about tanning beds and Vitamin D.
    Ultraviolet rays and tanning beds

    Tanning beds and Vitamin D go hand in hand, just like the sun and vitamin D. The sun emits three kinds of Ultraviolet (UV) Rays: UVC at 100 to 290 nm, UVB at 290 to 320 nm, and UVA 320 to 400 nm. Tanning beds are installed with bulbs that emit mostly UVA (long-wave) rays, said to be less harmful than the UVB (short-wave) rays that cause burning. In effect, the tanning bed gives you the same emission as the sun but in a more controlled level of UV and exposure, and thus less harmful, giving you the full benefit of Vitamin D.
    Vitamin D3

    Vitamin D3, also known as Choleciferol, is the most effective and natural form of Vitamin D for humans, and is made when Ultraviolet light reacts with the skin. Vitamin D deficiency could cause several bone diseases like Rickets in children and Osteomalacia in adults. It could also lead to heart disease, depression, diabetes, hypertension, and obesity. It has also been found to be a factor for most forms of cancer. That is why many scientists are now pursuing further studies regarding tanning beds and Vitamin D. They hope to prove that tanning beds can be used to treat diseases that stem from vitamin D deficiency. If their researches prove that tanning beds and Vitamin D can together heal people, we will probably find tanning beds in a lot of hospitals soon.
    UV Precaution

    Although we get Vitamin D from the sun and its rays, over-exposure could damage our eyes, immune system, or even cause skin cancer. The body has a natural defense system against UV radiation in the form of melanin, a substance that the skin produces. It absorbs the rays that protect our DNA. Nevertheless, it is advisable to keep in moderation exposure to the sun and frequency of going to tanning salons or using tanning beds. Tanning beds and Vitamin D must be used properly.
    On a lighter note

    It is also interesting to note that the sun's rays, and thus UV, produces more seratonin, the mood-lifting chemical in the brain. It makes sense why “I'm feeling sunny today” means what it means. So for a healthy body and a healthy feeling, go and soak up some sun or hit the tanning beds at your local salon. Let tanning beds and Vitamin D perk you up. But of course, as all things, you should only tan in moderation.
  11. Senior Member
    votum's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,253
    Rep Power
    21286

    Reputation

    Well damnit, reps for everyone and I won't feel like a tool when I go in to the tanning salon tomorrow...at least the place is called "Extreme Tanning" or something like that...lmao.
  12. New Member
    SolidusSnake's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    349

    Reputation

    You wont be a tool, you be surprised how many guys at your local gym go to a tanning salon and it a alot.. I go for vitamin d and test boost and it clears my acne..
  13. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Rep Power
    135804

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Hot chicks work at the tanning spa I go to lol

  14. Senior Member
    2k1s's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,149
    Rep Power
    1093

    Reputation

    hot chicks go to tanning salons. game over.


    I go mostly to clear up my skin. Just make sure you don't fry yourself the first time you go. Fried balls = no fun
    Comic Sans makes me feel gangsta
  15. Advanced Member
    bluehealer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    997
    Rep Power
    3529

    Reputation

    2000mg of l-tyrosine will increase the production of Melanin. A protein that gives skin/ hair color. It will help you tan quicker.

    Vit. E will help protect the skin from damage.
  16. Senior Member
    votum's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,253
    Rep Power
    21286

    Reputation

    I went today...wasn't as bad as I thought, some cute girl gave me some googoo eyes instead of stinkeyes like I was expecting lmao.

    25 bucks for 12 20 minute sessions, seems like a good deal. I'm a cheap skate and tan well so I don't think I am going to use any of that fancy lotion. That and all the kinds they have are like, "sex kitten" "love potion" and stupid **** like that lol.
  17. New Member
    SolidusSnake's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    349

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by votum View Post
    I went today...wasn't as bad as I thought, some cute girl gave me some googoo eyes instead of stinkeyes like I was expecting lmao.

    25 bucks for 12 20 minute sessions, seems like a good deal. I'm a cheap skate and tan well so I don't think I am going to use any of that fancy lotion. That and all the kinds they have are like, "sex kitten" "love potion" and stupid **** like that lol.
    I get unlimited tanning for 20$ a month.. Your getting ripped dude.. You shouldnt start at 20mins either.. Usually start at 12 and work up to 20.
  18. New Member
    meathed's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    196

    Reputation

    Sex Kitten tanning lotion increases free testosterone by a factor of 10000:1 versus non-lubricated tanning!

    j/k... Glad you enjoyed it votum. That is a bit steep for 12 sessions though.
  19. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Rep Power
    135804

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I pay 30 for unlimited i'n any bed

    I get cheap as$ bronzer at Ulta like 8 bucks

  20. New Member
    SolidusSnake's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    349

    Reputation

    ebay is the way to go for tanning lotion
  21. Senior Member
    votum's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,253
    Rep Power
    21286

    Reputation

    You cant use normal lotion? Like banananana boat 8spf?

    Dang Ill check around town for better deals then, it might be the only place.

    They made it seem like the only difference between the two was time, like the 12 min one is mroe powerful and costs more so I went with the 20 o.0

    Its not the worst sunburn ive hadm but the effects are the worst...at the tingling point (last 2 days) the tingles were so bad I literally couldnt sleep...hope that doesn't happen again.
  22. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Rep Power
    135804

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by votum View Post
    You cant use normal lotion? Like banananana boat 8spf?

    Dang Ill check around town for better deals then, it might be the only place.

    They made it seem like the only difference between the two was time, like the 12 min one is mroe powerful and costs more so I went with the 20 o.0

    Its not the worst sunburn ive hadm but the effects are the worst...at the tingling point (last 2 days) the tingles were so bad I literally couldnt sleep...hope that doesn't happen again.
    Just use some olive oil

  23. New Member
    airram479's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    384
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    It's not the sun or the UV rays giving you cancer---it is the sh!t that your putting on your skin.

    http://tanningbeds.mercola.com/tanni...nning-oil.aspx
  24. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,523
    Rep Power
    41243

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by SolidusSnake View Post
    Tanning beds and Vitamin D

    The best source of Vitamin D is the sun. In fact, we get eighty to one hundred percent of our Vitamin D from it. But if you go to a tanning salon, will you be getting the same benefit the sun gives you? A sunless tan means not getting a tan directly from the sun, so where will you be getting it from? Read on to find out more about tanning beds and Vitamin D.
    Ultraviolet rays and tanning beds
    ......................
    It is also interesting to note that the sun's rays, and thus UV, produces more seratonin, the mood-lifting chemical in the brain. It makes sense why “I'm feeling sunny today” means what it means. So for a healthy body and a healthy feeling, go and soak up some sun or hit the tanning beds at your local salon. Let tanning beds and Vitamin D perk you up. But of course, as all things, you should only tan in moderation.
    I know they oversimplified alot, but there were so many spelling errors in this, on key terms like cholecalciferol and serotonin, that I had to shake my head. I agree SolidusSnake that not everyone will get cancer that tans. But then again, not everyone that smokes gets lung cancer. In the end, we're all adults and we can make our own risk-benefit analysis. Here's some food for thought.
  25. Idiot Savant
    prld2gr8ns's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,500
    Rep Power
    61214

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    I know they oversimplified alot, but there were so many spelling errors in this, on key terms like cholecalciferol and serotonin, that I had to shake my head. I agree SolidusSnake that not everyone will get cancer that tans. But then again, not everyone that smokes gets lung cancer. In the end, we're all adults and we can make our own risk-benefit analysis. Here's some food for thought.
    In the great words of Peter Griffin, " Melanoma is just street lingo for SEXIFIED!!"
  26. Professional Member
    SouthernCharm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,253
    Rep Power
    3298

    Reputation

    i tan bros.. you mad??

    now i did freeze my membership for a minute cuz i was so short on funds so thats why i look so white in my avi but i usually keep a bit more color
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  27. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Rep Power
    135804

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
    i tan bros.. you mad??

    now i did freeze my membership for a minute cuz i was so short on funds so thats why i look so white in my avi but i usually keep a bit more color
    Mad? How could be made at you for wanting to be tan and sexy?!

  28. Senior Member
    votum's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,253
    Rep Power
    21286

    Reputation

    Went for the second time today, not nearly as bad because I used some fancy $6 8SPF coconut lotion crap, I'll see if I got roasted in the morning again lol.

    On the + side, I got hours of free entertainment trying to peel off the biggest piece of skin, I got one that was like a foot by six inches lmao.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Tanning Bed Question
    By specmike in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 06:22 PM
  2. Tanning
    By TheeBC in forum Supplements
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 07:53 PM
  3. Tanning???
    By yosahab in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 02:36 AM
  4. help on tanning
    By snowtiger in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 01:42 PM
  5. Tanning
    By Crotalus in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in