new toy purchased and on the way :)

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
I've got an Athlon 64 3200+ and Asus K8V SE motherboard on the way; got a helluva deal because I work at bestbuy ( can get it working at other computer stores too if you are an AMD dealer)

Upgrading from a Athlon XP 2100, so I'm going to be very interested to take this puppy through its paces :) Now I just need a video card that can match it; my GF4 Ti4200 is getting old

BigTEX

BigTEX

Awards
I've got an Athlon 64 3200+ and Asus K8V SE motherboard on the way; got a helluva deal because I work at bestbuy ( can get it working at other computer stores too if you are an AMD dealer)

Upgrading from a Athlon XP 2100, so I'm going to be very interested to take this puppy through its paces :) Now I just need a video card that can match it; my GF4 Ti4200 is getting old
I'm really jealous.
Man that Ti4200 is still one of the best video cards around. The only reason to upgrade would be to get a card that supports DX9.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
yeah the X800 is a top contender in DX9 games... i dont play them super often; and the BIGGEST games coming out soon are going to be openGL... in which the 6800 ultra dominates the X800 in that aspect...

i'd settle for a raedon 9700 or a FX 5700 ultra 256

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bean,
ANy reason for the AsusK8V? I'm still looking around the newer 754 mbs.

The Ti4200 is a great card but a little long in the tooth for newer games like far cry. Check out a used 9500pro as a temporary upgrade.

bigmark1972

Board Supporter
Awards
You guys are dorks;)

Kidding I wish I had the cash for a nice upgrade like that, gonna be a screamer.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Because it was $179 for both together :D
I work at bestbuy, I get promo deals like this. If you work at a retail store too that has an AMD license, or any other licenses with different companies, check out:
http://www.retailaccess.com

the motherboard is an Asus K8V SE, has onboard RAID and SATA, nice setup... will keep me happy for a while...
as long as it plays doom3 and farcry well, I'll be fine :)

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That sounds like a nice system you have there. I've been running a P4 3.0 Ghz machine for the last six months, but had a horrible bottleneck in my geforce 4 ti4400 card. I just replaced it a few days ago with a sapphire x800 pro, and I just gotta say DAMN!! that card is fast! Far Cry runs beatifully at 1280*1024 with the details almost maxed out, which makes for an amazing gaming experience.

I think I got my hands on the last radeon x800 card that was available in Calgary, a city of around 1 million people, so I count myself lucky in that regard. Yeah, the card was pricey, but I plan on having it for a few years, so what's a couple hundred extra bucks when you space it out over that time frame?

For a nice performing, yet reasonably priced card I think you should look into the radeon 9800 pro. Even in Canadian pesos they still are going for something like 250 bucks, so I imagine they could be had for less than 200US by this point.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking of going to the dark side and getting an Intel cpu. So many f*in things to consider with AMD. nforce3-250,sis-756 mbs are still on the pricy side.

FarCry is a real bitch. I had to play 800x600 just so it doesn't turn into a slideshow at some places. I'm definitely replaying it once I upgrade.

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
OH-->don't go intel man, unless you have a liquid nitrogen cooling system! The Prescots suck a$$, and everything else is WAY overpriced. They also don't have the integrated memory controller that ôhe A64 has, and the huge pipline makes their clock speed deceptive.

The only reason to buy`an Intel is if you do a lot of video editing or audio editing on a software platform that can USE dual processing, in which case the hyperthreading (virtual dual processing) of the higher-end P4s is very effective.

But for gaming, general applications, and everything else, AMD is by far the king...and about half as expensive...it's a no-brainer.

Seriously, the Athlon64 is killer. You also get the advantage of running 64-bit native when apps begin to arrive in the Fall.

For best prices, always go here:

www.pricewatch.com

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I cant wait to upgrade to an Athlon64!!! Im still on an XP2000+ and Asus A7V8X mobo - and Im still pleased with the speed. AMD rocks!

The only reason to buy an Intel is if you do a lot of video editing or audio editing on a software platform that can USE dual processing, in which case the hyperthreading (virtual dual processing) of the higher-end P4s is very effective.
I use my computer mainly for Audio/Video, if I had the money Id just go with an AMD Opteron system. Most users report that SONAR (popular audio editing/composition program) screams past an HT P4 on an AMD 64, and it does support MP

BV

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree that an Opteron running Sonar would trump a P4...it all depends on the program, as you know. Benchmarks for audio conversion (like .wav to MP3) and video conversion (.avi to .mpeg2, DVD ripping/conversion, etc) still put the P4 at an advantage...I know this b/c my friend works for a high profile Video Game company here in Chicago, and they run both P4 and Athlon64 systems, specific to the tasks...but when you factor in cost, you just can't beat AMD, especially since they OC so well...my JIHUB Athlon XP 1700+ has been running like a 3200+the past five months, air cooled, no problems!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
What does he do at the video game company and how did he get into the position (if you dont mind me asking...)

That's where i want to be...

BV

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
He works for High-Voltage Entertainment. They just did the new Leisure Suit Larry, NBA Inside Drive 2004, Hunter: The Reckoning, Disney Haunted Mansion,etc.

Check out their website--they have job openings:

http://www.high-voltage.com/

He went to the Illinois Institute of Art in Schaumburg--they have a great Video Game design program...he got placed right out of school...his company rocks. He is now a project manager...I'm not supposed to say this, but they are now working on Jackass the video game--he hung out with the whole crew for a day as they shot stills and did point tracing, etc.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info Brodus!! I know Ill probably need to go back to college to do this...Im looking for a good school in my state (NY)

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The thing that school does is give you instant contacts within the industry...you can learn a lot of stuff on your own, but those contacts and job fairs that school puts you in connection with are golden.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The thing that school does is give you instant contacts within the industry...you can learn a lot of stuff on your own, but those contacts and job fairs that school puts you in connection with are golden.
I hear you there - I went to a small University in my hometown with little in the way of networking in terms of big-time companies. Even though I have the degree and know my ****, I still cant find a job in my field now that Im in a new city, because I have no experience.

Im sure there's ways around it, but I may as well go back to school for a couple years and come out doing something I really love - life's too short to **** around and that's what Ive been doing:)

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
actually the new Athlon64 socket 939 is beating intel or tying them in most 3d editing and multimedia editing stuff... its got the dual channel memory setup, etc... not to mention its available as a 3800+ :) much much faster than anything intel has or will have in the near future

prescott sucks... runs so stinkin hot and its slower than the previous P4 core... dont let the clockspeed fool you at all

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No kidding--those Prescotts were the biggest bomb ever...on the other side you have the A64 which just keeps getting better.

I honestly haven't looked at benchmarks in the last three months, and knowing how quickly technology changes, I'm sure the A64 is tops in everything now...when I was spec-ing systems out around February/March, The P4s were only winning in video and audio coverting apps.

BTW, I AM SO PISSED I didn't invest in AMD last fall, when the stock was @ $4...now it's quadrupled in value.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
i was looking for cool Tshirts

BUT HOLY ****!!!
check out the clothes the chicks are wearing :D

Attachments