METALLICA Tribute Thread!!!!!!!!!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I grew up with these boys, and I have been rockin this song a lot lately. If you have any love Metallica, let's hear about it. Post up them videos guys!! Enjoy, and God Bless.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No vids, but I do have a killer story about Low Man's Lyric!! Summer 97, just graduated HS, went to my first ever concert - Metallica!! It was at the outdoor ampitheater near Pittsburgh, whatever it's called now. We had lawn "seats". Concert was awesome! For it being their crappier Load days, I didn't expect much old stuff, but that's what we got! After dark, the weather got nastier. They set up for an acoustic set to do this song. As they got into the meat of it, DOWNPOUR. No wind, just drenching rains. It matched the mood PERFECTLY. Just as the song stopped, so did the rain.

Same night, they played One. No fireworks allowed on stage, but the weather cooperated VERY well. Wind picked up as they started playing, and just as the battlefield effects started and the big cannon boom went off, a huge "V" of lightning came from behind the stage into the sky. It was AMAZING!!!!

Eventhough I'm not much for the new stuff, I do still like the old. I have a collection of rare import singles, the $9.99 CD, and some other goodies at home in a case protected. Thought about parting with them - posted on eBay and CL but no luck. Got 'em on the PC now and don't really need 'em. Still, good memories from back in the day. :cheers:

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Im in for this one.

Metalika rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kirk Hammett is just straight out gifted. I miss the old Cliff Burton Bass influence, Newstead was great too, but I can't accept the new bass player, he just doesn't fit... They should have taken someone else, his influence obviously didn't do anything groundbreaking for the band... Oh well.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kirk Hammett is just straight out gifted. I miss the old Cliff Burton Bass influence, Newstead was great too, but I can't accept the new bass player, he just doesn't fit... They should have taken someone else, his influence obviously didn't do anything groundbreaking for the band... Oh well.
I'll agree with that. The ONLY good thing I've heard from them in probably the past 10 year is "All Nightmare Long" - it harkens back to the days of long-songs like Orion, Shortest Straw, etc..

Not sure I like Hammett's new "style" though. There's definitely a difference in his playing. It's muddier, despite any digi processing to clean it up. You can tell his hands are slowing down but he's still trying. In this game, ya don't get an A for effort. Oh, well...

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
My favorite metallica song of all time has to be fade to black \m/

\m/etallica!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll agree with that. The ONLY good thing I've heard from them in probably the past 10 year is "All Nightmare Long" - it harkens back to the days of long-songs like Orion, Shortest Straw, etc..

Not sure I like Hammett's new "style" though. There's definitely a difference in his playing. It's muddier, despite any digi processing to clean it up. You can tell his hands are slowing down but he's still trying. In this game, ya don't get an A for effort. Oh, well...
I like 'old Hammett' much better!

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
After the black album they could have just stopped IMO. I saw them om the Master of Puppets tour in 86 I think. They opened for Ozzy, great show......nobody knew who Metallica was then, boy how things changed and in a hurry.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After the black album they could have just stopped IMO. I saw them om the Master of Puppets tour in 86 I think. They opened for Ozzy, great show......nobody knew who Metallica was then, boy how things changed and in a hurry.
Yeah when they started playing metallica on the same stations that play Michael Bolton thats when i stopped buying the newer cds.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"Friends don't let friends get 'Friends' haircuts."

Just sayin'. I kept my hair long (Newsted style) LONG after they did. When in doubt, switch to Megadeth. :head:

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Just sayin'. I kept my hair long (Newsted style) LONG after they did. When in doubt, switch to Megadeth. :head:
Or SlipKnot:head:

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My favorite song to Pound the Weights to is The Four Horsemen Live. It makes me feel Aggressive.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh, you must know me!!!! :head:

Li'l story for y'all.... Played violin since I was 5. Yeah, I know, but I'm dang good at it. Had to give my fiddle back to an aunt after I graduated HS and it just about broke my heart. Went to college and first semester I hung out with a punk kid - safety pins and all. We kinda fit, me with my White Zombie posters that scared my roommate. He played in a little band and I showed some interest in learning guitar. By Thanksgiving, I got it in my head that I wanted to learn how to play, so I looked up tabs (I never could read music - like 10 instruments under my belt - go figure) and went out and bought the music/tab books for Justice and the Black Album. (Eventually did pick up them all from Kill to Black.) Xmas rolls around and dad comes downstairs with a big hefty box - A 20W Crate amp!! i was like, cool!!! Now I just gotta save up for the axe! Sister got a puppy. Then dad comes back with a hardcase with a bow on it. E on the outside. On the inside, Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Black. Perhaps not the best in the world, but it's still pretty darn good to me!

I sat there that morning while they watched football and cleaned up. Within 15 minutes, I had the opening to "One" downpat. An hour later, got the whole beginning down fairly well. By the time I went back to school a week later, I had it up to the hammer-on beginning of Hammett's solo!! Plus, various parts of about 5 other songs. The punk buddy of mine thought it was cute. Then he tried to teach me a few things - mastered punk riffs within seconds, then showed him up. We weren't friends long after that. :lol:

In the end, I spent the last few years of school cranking a lot of their older stuff and setting the amp just below that sound level to play along. LOVE to jam along with Master of Puppets (song). Too bad i developed carpal tunnel syndrome and that 8-minute bash kills me!

/cool story bro. :trout:

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well they say some people are just born with it..I guess with music that would be you.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Angry Again, Countdown, and Youthanaisa are great albums. Never got into early Megadeth, and anything after those albums didn't do much for me either.

I agree 100% with Mike Morwry, they should have just stopped after the Black Album, and saved face. Once Newstead left it was over imo

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
After the black album they could have just stopped IMO.
I personally think death magnectic could of been a solid album before the black album. I think it's going back to who they are. The black album was targeting the mainstream more.With death magnetic they had nothing to lose or gain. You can tell. That's when a band writes the best material. Give it all, do it your way, and see what happens.

There's some good covers between the black album and death magnetic but most of those years metallica fans would like to forget and wished they never happend. Regardless they are easy top 5 metal band of all time.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not exactly sure why, but I woke up with this in my head this morning:

:head:

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
How do you guys post the image of the video link?

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How do you guys post the image of the video link?
YouTube vids? Use tags and code...

1. Look at video URL. See the part that says "v="? Copy the alphanumeric code after that.
2. Come back here, put the letters "yt" inside brackets - [ ]
3. Past code from youtube.
4. Close with "/yt" in brackets.
5. Hit Post Reply.
6. Sit back and wait for the lulz. :D

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established

Thanks T-AD, Looks like I got it ;)

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Ahhhhh Metallica greatness

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Oh yeaaaa!

adtrm4

adtrm4

Awards
Always have some of their music jamming in the gym.

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
Another tribute preformed today at the semifinal in Sweden (Swedish Idol)

Damn, his voice is soo damn niiice :D

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Another tribute preformed today at the semifinal in Sweden (Swedish Idol)

Damn, his voice is soo damn niiice :D

Ok, bro, few comments for ya...

1. Sweeeedishfish Idol is WAY better than our's just because of THAT. All pop crap here. HATE IT!!!!!!!

2. Voice is decent, not quite what I expected, and he does look a bit like Keith Urban.

3. He needs a better translator. Got a few lines REALLY REALLY wrong - as in, not even close. But eh... still better than American IdiotIdol.

:cheers:

ntornado

Awards
For those saying they should have quit after the black album what do you think of Death Magnetic? I think its awesome and can't wait for the next album.

I have seen them live 13 times including 3 times last month. They broke out Ktulu, Orion, Trapped Under Ice, Disposable Heroes .. was epic.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For those saying they should have quit after the black album what do you think of Death Magnetic? I think its awesome and can't wait for the next album.

I have seen them live 13 times including 3 times last month. They broke out Ktulu, Orion, Trapped Under Ice, Disposable Heroes .. was epic.
Well... I didn't exactly hear or read of a public apology for Load, ReLoad, and that thing with the orchestra. Nor did I hear them donating any funds to the regeneration of Napster. Nor did I hear them apologize for being babies in that "Some Kind of MonsterSissy" documentary thing. So... Yeah, good shows still exist, but even gramma can still bake good cookies.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i was a die hard metallica fan up until black which is where they lost me. i still love the old stuff

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Death Magnetic was one of the biggest "shock" albums I've ever heard. I didn't even think of getting it. I really thought they were done after they started doing covers and that failed attempt to make a album "St. Anger" but a friend gave me a copy of DM and I listened to it almost everyday for a month. Still listen to it regularly. I fear they won't be able to duplicate death magnetic. I almost feel like they should quit while they are ahead... IKD..would love to hear some more of the same stuff though.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i was a die hard metallica fan up until black which is where they lost me. i still love the old stuff
You didn't like the 'black album'?

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like everything from the black album forward. A few songs from Ride, Injustice and Master. I'm with them much the same way I was with Megadeth. I really dig the newish stuff over the older.

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
Gotta love RTL, Metallica first three will always be good to go, there imperative for the overall success of metal making mainstream as far as I'm concerned, this is coming from someone who is a die hard Exodus, Testament and Heathen fan ( I'm from the bay area and you gotta support the bay area thrash bands ) the list can go on, Overkill, Anthrax, Hirax, Annihilator and even Death ( R.I.P. Chuck !!! )

Better yet I love metal period and you gotta love the first three Metallica albums !!!

No question.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It just sucks when you've heard the same songs 2000 times. Not that i don't like metallica anymore it's just that it's not fresh..A couple of weeks ago someone turned me on too SlipKnot and I feel like a teenager with his new CD, I can't wait to go to the gym and play it everyday. They are Pretty Good

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It just sucks when you've heard the same songs 2000 times. Not that i don't like metallica anymore it's just that it's not fresh..A couple of weeks ago someone turned me on too SlipKnot and I feel like a teenager with his new CD, I can't wait to go to the gym and play it everyday. They are Pretty Good
If you like Slipknot,check out Stone Sour. Same vocalist, Corey Talyor, in both bands.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Slipknot = My soup du jour.
Stone Sour = Like Slipknot, but later at night and mellow.

italiano3266

Awards
RIDE THE ****ING LIGHTNING BEST ALBUM EVER!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Slipknot = My soup du jour.
Stone Sour = Like Slipknot, but later at night and mellow.
Agreed. Though Comewhatevermay is a damn good song to lift to by stone sour.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
RIDE THE ****ING LIGHTNING BEST ALBUM EVER!
Cliff Burton's influence on the band was amazing. Such a dam shame it ended the way it did for him.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lookup on Youtube, Metallica Live Mexico City 2009, WOW incredible performances an massive engaged crowd.... pry the best they'll been in well over 10 years. You'll see a bunch of high quality vids from searching that concert.

edit- wtf, why won't my links show/embed video????

YouTube - METALLICA ENTER SANDMAN [Live Mexico City DVD 2009]
It won't let you embed because Lars has threatened to sue YouTube and every single user for illegally pirating their image.

:nutkick:

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It won't let you embed because Lars has threatened to sue YouTube and every single user for illegally pirating their image.

:nutkick:
good ol Lars. Anybody see the Some Kind of Monster documentary? The lovefest between James, Lars and Dave Mustane was a joke. Dave got pissed that they showed that vid and hated Lars all the more for it. Welcome to world Dave lol.