Harley-Davidson to build bikes in India

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ROFLMAO!!!! Dude, this is absolutely priceless. As a Kawasaki Vulcan owner, and president of a chapter of the Vulcan Riders Association, I know all too well about the typical HD owners nowadays. Ask 'em why a Harley, and the second most common answer (besides, 'cuz it's a harley') is because they're "made in 'Merica!". Psssh... Look closely, dingfud.... made in Mexico stamped here, made in China stamped there... If they could see beyond their pennyloafers and chromed-out everything, maybe they'd realize they that got jipped!!! Jap bikes are cheaper, last longer, are more reliable, are easier to fix, are cheaper to fix, are usually just flat-out better build quality, have just as big of an aftermarket (if not bigger), and did I mention that they're more reliable? Yeah.... I'm proud of my Jap bike - bulletproof 1600 Vulcan V-twin engine, roars like a drag car, shines like the sun. :head:

This link is going up on about 30 bike forums in 3.....2.....1..... :lol:

Oh, and we have a saying in my club. Every time a Harley goes by or parks near us, we all stop and stare and say "Look, guys, it's a REAL bike..." Then laugh our arses off. :D

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ROFLMAO!!!! Dude, this is absolutely priceless. As a Kawasaki Vulcan owner, and president of a chapter of the Vulcan Riders Association, I know all too well about the typical HD owners nowadays. Ask 'em why a Harley, and the second most common answer (besides, 'cuz it's a harley') is because they're "made in 'Merica!". Psssh... Look closely, dingfud.... made in Mexico stamped here, made in China stamped there... If they could see beyond their pennyloafers and chromed-out everything, maybe they'd realize they that got jipped!!! Jap bikes are cheaper, last longer, are more reliable, are easier to fix, are cheaper to fix, are usually just flat-out better build quality, have just as big of an aftermarket (if not bigger), and did I mention that they're more reliable? Yeah.... I'm proud of my Jap bike - bulletproof 1600 Vulcan V-twin engine, roars like a drag car, shines like the sun. :head:

This link is going up on about 30 bike forums in 3.....2.....1..... :lol:

Oh, and we have a saying in my club. Every time a Harley goes by or parks near us, we all stop and stare and say "Look, guys, it's a REAL bike..." Then laugh our arses off. :D
No, you don't sound jealous of HD's history at all.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, you don't sound jealous of HD's history at all.
Spoken like a true HOG owner. LOL

No offense intended, man! I find it funny, that's all. Just that most of the present crop of HD riders have no clue about heritage or anything like that. Around here, there are TONS of 'em. We have a big dealership in Jtown and it's a whole different world than the metric dealers...just as much as the average Harley "couple" is from the average metric "couple". We wear Icon, Fieldsheer, etc. whereas they wear matching Harley gear. It's cute...

Whatever the reason to own a bike, the real reason should be to RIDE!!! That's what I'm all about, no matter what. And just because I lead a Vulcan club does NOT mean that we won't allow Harleys!! If you want to ride with us, come on out and do so!

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

No offense intended, man! I find it funny, that's all. Just that most of the present crop of HD riders have no clue about heritage or anything like that. Around here, there are TONS of 'em. We have a big dealership in Jtown and it's a whole different world than the metric dealers...just as much as the average Harley "couple" is from the average metric "couple". We wear Icon, Fieldsheer, etc. whereas they wear matching Harley gear. It's cute...

Whatever the reason to own a bike, the real reason should be to RIDE!!! That's what I'm all about, no matter what. And just because I lead a Vulcan club does NOT mean that we won't allow Harleys!! If you want to ride with us, come on out and do so!
Nope, not an owner.

I just spotted a lot of hostility and animosity... quite the rant. When in all reality the money still benefits American people.

Now country wood burning... THAT is 100% American!

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most people dont know this, but this is a term they used during WWII, and its like calling a black guy the "N" word.

Just though Id give you a heads up.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No offense intended, and only credit to the Japanese for making some VERY fine machinery. In the common parlance of the biker world, non-domestic bikes are referred to as either Jap Bikes. They've also been referred to as "Rice Burners" for that fact, which I suppose is a bit on the offensive side, especially because they all run on high octane unleaded only. ;) To refine it further, those bikes similar in style to Harleys are referred to as Metric Cruisers. Sport bikes are often referred to as sport bikes, crotch rockets, rocketbikes, or death traps...depends on the perspective. ;)

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Many foreign vehicles be it japanese cars or motorcycles are made in America. Example would be Toyota with their plants in California. The article says that the parts will be made in America and assembled in India... with main intentions on supplying India's market... "Parts made in America will be put together for the Indian market in Haryana." Sure some of these will undoubtedly make their way back to the US, but it isn't going to be the main intended flow of build here, assemble their, and ship back here. Sure, I would love to see Harley and basically every other product made soley in the US, but if quality is maintained who cares. Also, the company is still maintaining is US contribution to the US marketplace by building the parts here. Should Harley really be knocked that hard for trying to expand their international marketplace? If so wouldn't that be a knock on free market and capitalism? Resulting in one's one act of being "un-American"..lol

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And I do agree with ya, 'cat. Parts will leak across the seas - it's inevitable. To claim that the "American" motorcycle is all-American will be a false statement, as it pretty much is already. I'm all for a global economy and don't see the point in everything being "American-made". I've owned my fair share of domestic products. While I was happy with them to a point, sad part is that I'm more satisfied with ones built elsewhere. (Swedish car, Japanese bike) American has been turning into a service country for years now. We're geared towards professions like nursing, teaching, serving food...not so much the industry side of things. Look at how many industrial jobs there are now compared to 10 years ago, and 20, and 30. Yes, the export of jobs overseas for profit is one cause, but there simply are not that many of today's youth who are itching to go run off for a noble factory job when they can do something that's easier. Sad, really...

btw: Kawasaki plant in Tennessee shut down and all bikes are now made in Japan.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The title of the article is misleading. Parts will still be manufactured in the US, then shipped to India for "assembly". It makes good business sense to penetrate that market.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The title of the article is misleading. Parts will still be manufactured in the US, then shipped to India for "assembly". It makes good business sense to penetrate that market.
Well, next time I hear hardcore bike guy say harleys are "all american" it doesnt count,

maddbomber

Awards

the third and best reason for owning a harley is they hold their value....either way, i came from a honda rc51 to a 2004 deuce...love the deuce but you will often see me riding in a jersey, jeans, and tennis shoes...the culture of harley is wonderful but im not one of those IT HAS TO BE HARLEY guys...i got a beautiful bike for a good price...all motorcycles are fun...but there is just as much hate coming from metric owners towards harleys as there is the other way around...your hypocricies (sp) are awesome