BS MARKETING

dwwilli

Awards
I live this website, great community and good information on multiple topics.
What has been the most interesting thing is the behavior of certain supplement companies.

Who advertises a product , that they do not even posses?

For the past two months , two different companies have been advertising a test booster which contains bulbine natalensis as part of its ingredients. The only issue is that the product is not on the market.

This is crazy to me, companies in other industries only advertise products they actually can sell you. I guess the supplement industry is different.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You're right...the supplement industry is the only ones that do it and it's not fair to the rest of the world. Well, ok, maybe their not the only ones that do it, but...

New 2011 cars coming out soon, but not yet!
For 3 months, Froyo update for Droid phones coming, but not yet!
New Harry Potter movie coming to a theater near you...in a few weeks!
Don't miss the big Christmas sales at Macy's - starting Black Friday!
Holy crap! We're having a boy! Baby shower is next weekend. Baby due in 12 weeks!

I think you get my point. Supp companies do it because it's a marketing strategy. Some will "hype" a product and then do pre-release sales at different retailers. Sometimes a product may be talked about for release and then it actually never occurs! No use getting all butt-hurt over it. It happens everywhere, in every industry, and in most every aspect of life. It's called "anticipation"...

:cheers:

dwwilli

Awards
In all of those industries, the manufacturer actually has a product. If they show you a trailer for a movie coming out in two week, the movie production company has the movie in their possession.

The 2011 cars actually exist, they just have not been released.

Supplement companies show you a graphic design of a bottle and then claim they have a new product coming out. However they have not yet manufactured the product, this is why when you ask the reps when the product is coming out, they are mum

This is because the company does not have a product, they just have hype

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
In all of those industries, the manufacturer actually has a product. If they show you a trailer for a movie coming out in two week, the movie production company has the movie in their possession.

The 2011 cars actually exist, they just have not been released.

Supplement companies show you a graphic design of a bottle and then claim they have a new product coming out. However they have not yet manufactured the product, this is why when you ask the reps when the product is coming out, they are mum

This is because the company does not have a product, they just have hype

i disagree.

companies test ingredients and formulations until they get what they feel is the right formulation for the product...

so you saying they just have labels and are waiting is erroneous

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
i disagree.

companies test ingredients and formulations until they get what they feel is the right formulation for the product...

so you saying they just have labels and are waiting is erroneous
True, to some degree. I can only speak with limited knowledge on the subject, but the way that AX does things, we often release information ahead of time to let folks know what is in the pipeline. It's fine to tease, but releasing all the info about something and not having a shred of it in-hand is a very risky maneuver. I suppose it's done, but from my end of things, I don't do it.

Instead, for example, it's common knowledge that AX is working on a pre-w/o product. There's a few threads about it here and a whole subforum over at our site dedicated to it. Right now, it's in testing phase - we've put a call-out for testers without naming any ingredients, any names, or any packaging. It's an idea at this point, but 10 people will get to try it to see if it rocks or sucks. Based on that, it goes forward or backward. So when I say that AX has a pre-w/o product in the pipeline, it hasn't come to fruition yet. IF/when it does, then labels and graphics and marketing will all be done while raws are acquired, tested, and manufactured. Is that more to your liking? Or is it more cart before the horse?

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
True, to some degree. I can only speak with limited knowledge on the subject, but the way that AX does things, we often release information ahead of time to let folks know what is in the pipeline. It's fine to tease, but releasing all the info about something and not having a shred of it in-hand is a very risky maneuver. I suppose it's done, but from my end of things, I don't do it.

Instead, for example, it's common knowledge that AX is working on a pre-w/o product. There's a few threads about it here and a whole subforum over at our site dedicated to it. Right now, it's in testing phase - we've put a call-out for testers without naming any ingredients, any names, or any packaging. It's an idea at this point, but 10 people will get to try it to see if it rocks or sucks. Based on that, it goes forward or backward. So when I say that AX has a pre-w/o product in the pipeline, it hasn't come to fruition yet. IF/when it does, then labels and graphics and marketing will all be done while raws are acquired, tested, and manufactured. Is that more to your liking? Or is it more cart before the horse?
this is more or less what I was saying.

he seems to generalize it too much by saying companies just throw out the name of an ingredient and not actually have any access to it.

what we are saying is that, although that ingredient/product is not mass produced, it is available to the company to at least get into the testing phase.