Should Bill Parcells have to aplogize for 'jap plays' comment?

Was Parcells out of line?

• Yes, he should apologize.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • No, he did nothing wrong.

Votes: 37 88.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Is it just me, or are people making way to big of a deal over Parcells letting the media in on what his coaching staff call 'jap plays' (Surprise plays in referrence to Pearl Harbor)? I heard the comment and I did not think anything of it at all. Even if I was Japanese, why would that bother me? People need to lighten up.

I watch BET all the time (I'm white) because I think the funniest part is hearing the black comedians make fun or white people or "honkys"..its just funny **** to me.

N4cer

N4cer

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Agreed. People are uptight.
I mean when I ask if anyone wants to Hiroshima, they know I mean barbecue.
Just kidding

Really, wouldn't things be smoother if we all accepted that racism happens in subtle forms like this and that it's part of living and if you wanna think I'm white and smell like balogna that's fine with me.
I'm a cracker.
I get no government support because of it when I sign up for college grants.
Is that a racial problem? HELL YEAH!
Is it part of life? HELL YEAH!
Can I survive and get over it? HELL YEAH!

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I don't think it's necessarily reflective of any bias towards Japanese people, just a handy name to associate it. It is based upon something that the Japanese did a long time ago, but I don't see any negative connotation along with it, maybe I don't take those things too seriously though. It's just a strategy that the Japanese used, hence the name, call me crazy

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
People need to lighten up a little bit about this political correctness bullcrap..He even clarified no insult intended, it's just a phrase.....JMO

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
All this politically correct bullshit is just going to get worse guys.

WhyNot?

Awards
I'd have to disagree...There is a place for that kind of talk, and a national forum just does not suit that type of reference. If he uses the term, fine. But to use that term in front of a full nation, that is simply stupid. There are people who get offended by that stuff, so why make yourself a target for criticism? Its not like there is a principle involved here.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I don't see anything wrong with it, and I agree that this ****'s getting to be too much...

But the NFL is an EOE and has rules and guidelines...he broke those rules..so if he doesn't wanna get fined, etc, then apologize...thats the same with any job or position.....and if he thinks he's too special to adhere by the rules then fvck 'em...I hate people that got their heads filled up with air...

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to disagree...There is a place for that kind of talk, and a national forum just does not suit that type of reference. If he uses the term, fine. But to use that term in front of a full nation, that is simply stupid. There are people who get offended by that stuff, so why make yourself a target for criticism? Its not like there is a principle involved here.
The problem is everyone gets offended by everything these days. America is turning into a bunch of sobbering pussies. Maybe Parcells shouldn't have made the comment when and where he did. I didn't even hear it. I'm commenting more on the overall picture. I don't see why usiing a term in the context he did would offend anyone. I mean they did bomb the **** out of us right? Now we can't use that term because it may hurt their feelings? Give me a break.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The media is disgusting for making him seem like a racist. I didn't hear what he said until I read this post, but what I heard and read made me believe he said anti-Japanese comments.

I think if this was truly offensive than Dat Nguyen and other members of the Cowboys would have said something a long time ago.

BTW, there have been football plays with Japanese terminology that some teams use to this day and no one has said there's anything wrong with that. The play I'm talking about is the Kamikaze(sp?) where the safeties hurl themselves at lead blockers so the linebackers can be free on the sidelines to chase down ball carriers.

hornedfrogsAT

Awards
Except for that pesky "free speech" thing, right?
LOL!
:D
What's a little Constitution between P.C. Bull$hit????

Just check your gun laws.

Or your religious freedom(i.e. it's ok to display any religious symbol in a public place, as long as it's not Christian, apparently is what that amendment is supposed to read).

Or your right to do as you choose with your body (talking about this new PH ban passing the House, but my point is "Guarantees of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness").

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Political correctness is great isn't it? For some reason freedom of speech has turned into freedom not to be offended. Bill is in his 60's. He is close to the WW2 generation which I am sure used the phrase allot. I am sure it was commonly also used as a term to described certain plays in football back in Bill's youth. It's not like he said kill all the japs.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
He should appoligize, but he wasn't "out of line"
therefore I voted yes, and messed up the poll. :)

lancelot

Banned
Awards
  • Established
jap play, jew play, honky play, beanerd play, n*gga play.........PC bullshit? how far do you take it and who decides?

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Parcells can appoligize even if he didn't do anything wrong - makes him the better man - i dont anyone will hold this against him.

anti gay remarks anti-jewish remarks are No-Nos however, they are no worse but the media blows it up.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yes, but IMO calling a surprise attach play a 'Jap play' is much different from calling somebody a fagot or a jew.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Yes, but IMO calling a surprise attach play a 'Jap play' is much different from calling somebody a fagot or a jew.
It's not even that any more. If you criticize some agenda the gay movement wants to do your a Hetrocentric Homophobic. If you are against Affirmative action your a racist. Welcome to the brave new world.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
jap play, jew play, honky play, beanerd play, n*gga play.........PC bullshit? how far do you take it and who decides?
Nobody is going to flip out about a honky play. It is ok to discriminate about white Christians but not ok for everyone else. It also depends on who is using the term to. If your are in a minority group or a democrat than it's ok , you'll get a pass.
The way Bill used the term was like a common term. It's not like he said slant eye play or yellow bastard play. It's most likely a term that was kicked around WW2 and post WW2 that stuck with him.It's not a subject to make a mess in your pants about. Freedom of speech the last time I checked also allows people to use the words you mentioned even if some people don't like them or get offended by them. I am sure there are people in this country who want to take Canada's lead in throwing people in jail for "hate speech" but it's not here yet. The KKK has the same right to speak their mind as Martin Luther King.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
VanillaGorilla - good points
Alot of this is media hyped though. Most people are realistic like you and I. It's the gay and lesbian groups, feminist groups, etc. that get wacked out not being politically correct, pointing the finger declaring people (racists and facists).

their voice is heard but at the end of the day they can't push their agenda by trying to make people feel guility.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
their voice is heard but at the end of the day they can't push their agenda by trying to make people feel guility.
I think most people are against that kind of agenda . Unfortunately their agenda gets rail roaded threw by activist judges.

Grant

Awards
  • Established
Haha, when I get called racist, I shrug and say, "and.........."

Last edited:

bulkmuscle

Awards
i hope ww3 starts very soon so i dont hafta endure anymore PC bullshit from all the sensitive little bitches that inhabitat this planet.

Billy the kid

Board Supporter
Awards
Maybe he should change it to "Japanese plays". LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.