Everything Fishing - Come On In!!!

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PRE-POST EDIT: FEEL FREE TO POST PIX OF YOUR CATCHES HERE TOO!

I grew up fishing in the northeast and moved to Central Florida in the mid 90s. I don't know why, but I only recently got back into fishing. There are so many different species down here. It seems like a see something new every other week!

My buddy caught one of these today. Apparently it's a South American species called the brown hoplo. The scales were very rough and he squeaked and grunted while out of the water!

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is one funky lookin fish, man!!

Grew up and fished with my dad. He's a stream guy, which happens a lot here in PA - trout people are nuts! I wasn't very good, and always frustrated about getting hung up on rocks, so I gave it up early. Took up hunting for a few years in my early teens, but after my first deer was found being eaten by a bear, I went back to the water and out of the woods! I was BIG into it in HS and college, but adulthood and all the responsibilities of being a grown-up (pronounced as "Bills" and "Debt" and "Job") have put me on the sidelines for the past 6 years or so.

Izzie will be 3 next summer, and I think that's a great age to get her out on the water! I see myself getting back into it in 2011. :)

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I grew up fishing in the northeast and moved to Central Florida in the mid 90s. I don't know why, but I only recently got back into fishing. There are so many different species down here. It seems like a see something new every other week!

My buddy caught one of these today. Apparently it's a South American species called the brown hoplo. The scales were very rough and he squeaked and grunted while out of the water!

Oh, and I forgot to mention...

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Apparently, in some areas, this fish also known as an Armored Catfish (for obvious reasons).

Are you familiar with Muddy Run Park (I know, PA is big, lol)? That's one of the places I went fishing growing up.

http://www.muddyrunpark.com/

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Apparently, in some areas, this fish also known as an Armored Catfish (for obvious reasons).

Are you familiar with Muddy Run Park (I know, PA is big, lol)? That's one of the places I went fishing growing up.

http://www.muddyrunpark.com/
Nope, never been there. It's a bit far away. I'm on the other side of the state about 60 miles east of the 'burgh.

There's a reservoir close to me, the Quemahonig or "Que" (pronounced Kwee), that I've fished all my life. The road leading up to it has my favorite view of all time. It comes up on the right side of the breast and as you drive up the road, the water unveils itself to the left of you. It's gorgeous, and no matter what kind of day it is or what's going on in my life, that view brings me peace and a big smile every time. :)

TeddyNorcross

Awards
I just wanted to drop a big ole FuKC you to the PETA lady at Hilton Head over Labor Day who tried to lecture me because I was fishing off shore, caught a huge a$$ sting ray and it didn't survive. She had the nuts to tell me I couldn't fish in the ocean.... You believe that $hit..... Yes, I continued to fish and her husband didn't say a fukcing thing...

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, some old hippie came up to my buddy and me yesterday and talked for about an hour. He was a nice guy, but I wasn't exactly in the mood to strike up a conversation :lol:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
An armored catfish?!?! FFFFFFUUUUUUU!

I think I would probably sh*t myself if I was noodling and came up with that abomination attached to my arm. Straight up Bill Paxton; game over man. GAME OVER!

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I read that they grow about two inches a month, but hardly ever reach more than 12". I think they have an air bladder b/c they were popping the top of the water left and right ALL DAY. That means this freaking thing can live out of water for a while :eek:

...oh, and no way I'd ever noodle around here. There was a small six or seven foot gator checking me out from afar yesterday, lol.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Awesome thread. I'm a stream fisherman (Trout) up here in PA. I go the 1st and 2nd stocks (at a minimum) every year up near Titusville, PA. We fish Oil Creek and Pine Creeks mostly. Oil Creek is rated one of the best Trout streams in PA. This year coming up I'm going to try to make over to State College, PA (Home of Penn State) to Spring Creek. That is supposed to be the best trout stream in PA. Supposedly the closest you will get to Colorado over this way.

I absolutely love Trout fishing. Nothing against any other type of fishing at all (I go Bass, Catfish, and Carp fishing for sh*ts and giggles), but you can't just toss a line in the water and catch a trout. There's some thinking that goes into it. They are smart fish and to be truly successful you gotta go into the water prepared.

My next endeavor is to learn how to Fly Fish. I haven't had the opportunity to go and/or learn yet, but to get the big hogs over in Colorada and up in Alaska, you gotta know how to fly fish.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
That is one funky lookin fish, man!!

Grew up and fished with my dad. He's a stream guy, which happens a lot here in PA - trout people are nuts! I wasn't very good, and always frustrated about getting hung up on rocks, so I gave it up early. Took up hunting for a few years in my early teens, but after my first deer was found being eaten by a bear, I went back to the water and out of the woods! I was BIG into it in HS and college, but adulthood and all the responsibilities of being a grown-up (pronounced as "Bills" and "Debt" and "Job") have put me on the sidelines for the past 6 years or so.

Izzie will be 3 next summer, and I think that's a great age to get her out on the water! I see myself getting back into it in 2011. :)
T, I know how you feel about the rocks. Unfortunately getting hung up on the rocks happens quite a bit. Nothing more frustrating then having your bait drift down and have it bang on rock after rock. It feels exactly like a hit from a Trout. It's very difficult to tell the difference. Then the snags are a whole different story :FUfinger:

Ooooh Trout fishing...a cabin in the middle of logging country PA. No cable or tv, gas powered heat only works 50% of the time, unpredictable weather, fridge full of beer, unhealthy food, rough and tumble locals bars, and an old crappy radio cranking out classic rock tunes. WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE?

Hyperion

Hyperion

Awards
WOW! That looks like something out of the Alien movies!

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been up for a while and I'm debating if I should work around the house this morning or go fishing...???

A lot needs to be done around the house b/c lately I have been going fishing between two and four times a week:lol:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I grew up fishing in the northeast and moved to Central Florida in the mid 90s. I don't know why, but I only recently got back into fishing.
Same for me, other than that I still haven't gotten back into it :)

I grew up in this ****hole of a town

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=haskell,+nj&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Haskell,+Wanaque,+Passaic,+New+Jersey&gl=us&ei=oJugTJD2FIKKlwfNuPXSCQ&ved=0CBkQ8gEwAA&ll=41.028607,-74.295731&spn=0.13934,0.340576&z=12

but you can see how lake covered the area is. I used to keep an aluminum collapsible pole in the back of the car with a tackle box full of different lures, so I didn't have to worry about bait. even used to keep the leather "frogs" and the fish eggs in liquid in there during the warm months. Whenever i'd get pissed off or irritated at work, on the way home i'd just stop off at one of the lakes and fish for an hour.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Where ever I can find water :lol:

I keep my poles and tackle in my truck, so I'm always ready to go.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't get me wrong, I like catfish. I just wasn't sure about this thing :thinking:

I've yet to bring in a big bass since my return to fishing though. You better believe I'll have some pix to post here once I do though!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just wanted to drop a big ole FuKC you to the PETA lady at Hilton Head over Labor Day who tried to lecture me because I was fishing off shore, caught a huge a$$ sting ray and it didn't survive. She had the nuts to tell me I couldn't fish in the ocean.... You believe that $hit..... Yes, I continued to fish and her husband didn't say a fukcing thing...
You should have balled right back at her and lectured her on how that dam thing killed Steve Irwin(RIP)!!!
I read that they grow about two inches a month, but hardly ever reach more than 12". I think they have an air bladder b/c they were popping the top of the water left and right ALL DAY. That means this freaking thing can live out of water for a while :eek:

...oh, and no way I'd ever noodle around here. There was a small six or seven foot gator checking me out from afar yesterday, lol.
I went fishing at a cousins pond once down in FL and caught a possum, no joke. I was reeling that sucker in thinking " holy bejeezus I got a whopper" stuck my hand down to retrieve the end of the line and pull it out of the water when the dam thing started hissing at me. I thought to myself, " I caught one of those hissing fishes" then I realized it had big teeth, fur and smelled like azz. Scared the living dog crap out of me, I think I jumped back a good 10ft or so cause everyone else was laughing at me. I picked up the line dropped it back in the water, cut it and went in to watch a romantic comedy.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Weird. That's a first!

I caught a soft shell turtle a few weeks ago and it was about the size of a lunch tray.

Later that week my buddy brought one in that was TWICE that size. It wrapped aroudn the peer, he leaned over into the water face first, unwrapped the line by following his fishing pole around the line, and then pulled the turtle over to the nearby boat ramp :eek: Sorry, but I'm not sticking my arm down into the water like that, not in FL! He said he wanted to see what bent his rod in half before it got away...I'm not that curious, lol!

TeddyNorcross

Awards
You should have balled right back at her and lectured her on how that dam thing killed Steve Irwin(RIP)!!!

I told her Terry Irwin would approve of this (not sure if she could understand it as she had all the signs of someone who was running on a low cal, no exercise/soy protein only diet) and then my wife gave me the "please don't go to this ladies house and give her an upper decker face" so I shut up......

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My dad pulled in a 90-100lb stingray one time, took like an hour to reel the sucka in

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Weird. That's a first!

I caught a soft shell turtle a few weeks ago and it was about the size of a lunch tray.

Later that week my buddy brought one in that was TWICE that size. It wrapped aroudn the peer, he leaned over into the water face first, unwrapped the line by following his fishing pole around the line, and then pulled the turtle over to the nearby boat ramp :eek: Sorry, but I'm not sticking my arm down into the water like that, not in FL! He said he wanted to see what bent his rod in half before it got away...I'm not that curious, lol!
I have no idea how that happened either. Best guess was it was in the shubbery next to the pond close to were my line was and I snagged it and pulled it's ass in. Def. the weirdest thing i've ever caught

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I've been up for a while and I'm debating if I should work around the house this morning or go fishing...???

A lot needs to be done around the house b/c lately I have been going fishing between two and four times a week:lol:
A couple days behind here...but I hope you made the right choice :surprised:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My dad pulled in a 90-100lb stingray one time, took like an hour to reel the sucka in
I have no idea how that happened either. Best guess was it was in the shubbery next to the pond close to were my line was and I snagged it and pulled it's ass in. Def. the weirdest thing i've ever caught
I'm still laughing about this. That's just so weird!

That would be an awesome workout.

A couple days behind here...but I hope you made the right choice :surprised:
It turned out to be the right choice in the end...I stayed home and got more done by 11:00 in the morning than most probably do in a day.

I've been kicking myself in the butt for it too. It was so nice that morning and the weather has been crap ever since :nutkick:

TeddyNorcross

Awards
Tommorow headed into the North Ga. mountains to do some trout fishing....

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
It turned out to be the right choice in the end...I stayed home and got more done by 11:00 in the morning than most probably do in a day.

I've been kicking myself in the butt for it too. It was so nice that morning and the weather has been crap ever since :nutkick:
:laugh2: Probably better to spend some time on your house. It doesn't make sense to be watching some Bill Dance w/o a roof over your head lol. Weather has been crap here in PA lately too. I miss summer already and it's not even October just yet.

Tommorow headed into the North Ga. mountains to do some trout fishing....
How's the trout fishing down there Teddy? I've always wondered what the quality of trout fishing was down south. I know in Maryland (not exactly "down south") is really good. WVA and VA are good as well in the right spots.

All this fishing talk is bumming me out that I gotta wait until spring for some quality Trout fishing. I'll probably make it out in the winter a couple times, but that's tough going right there...

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do miss the Rainbow Trout from when I was in Maryland and PA. The next season here in Central FL is Speck. We called them Crappie up in Maryland, but it's the same fish. I caught one in Canada once and the locals referred to it as a Strawberry Bass!

TeddyNorcross

Awards
:laugh2: Probably better to spend some time on your house. It doesn't make sense to be watching some Bill Dance w/o a roof over your head lol. Weather has been crap here in PA lately too. I miss summer already and it's not even October just yet.

How's the trout fishing down there Teddy? I've always wondered what the quality of trout fishing was down south. I know in Maryland (not exactly "down south") is really good. WVA and VA are good as well in the right spots.

All this fishing talk is bumming me out that I gotta wait until spring for some quality Trout fishing. I'll probably make it out in the winter a couple times, but that's tough going right there...
It's good although I have nothing to compare it to outside Ga, Fla, South Carolina. Just love getting in the river(s)

andrewT

andrewT

Awards
I grew up fishing. Then when I was about 14 I was fighting a big ass salmon for 20 minutes and lost it. My Uncle and Dad who are both big fishers and already caught numerous ones that day were there. I was so angry I stopped fishing after that. It wasn't until just this year I recently got back into it again. I like fishing for salmon and trout that way I can eat it and save myself money on other protein sources:dance:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Got up early this morning, went grocery shopping at like 05:30, put the dog in the truck, and went fishing :D

I had an interesting day, to say the least and, for all intensive purposes, was finished by 10:00.

I caught a nice catfish and a huge Brim (Bream...not sure what my buddy calls it). For those of you not familiar, a Bream is a type of "panfish." This thing was so big that it literally pulled my pole over my tackle box and into the water!!! We had to fish the pole out of four or five feet of water with another rod and then I pulled in the miniature goliath, lol.

Here's the mottled white catfish that I caught. My buddy caught one too.

Attachments

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got up early this morning, went grocery shopping at like 05:30, put the dog in the truck, and went fishing :D

I had an interesting day, to say the least and, for all intensive purposes, was finished by 10:00.

I caught a nice catfish and a huge Brim (Bream...not sure what my buddy calls it). For those of you not familiar, a Bream is a type of "panfish." This thing was so big that it literally pulled my pole over my tackle box and into the water!!! We had fished the pole out of the water with another rod and then I pulled in the miniature goliath, lol.

Holy sizzzat that is one big catfish what the hell do you feed those things in FL??? They never get anywhere near that size around here.:(

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The one my buddy caught was the same length, but had a bigger belly on it :eek:

If that's the type of catfish I think it is, it wouldn't have gotten any longer...maybe fatter though.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had catfish for breakfast yesterday btw, its what I order at cracker barrel breakfast time :D

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've never been there, although, I hear it's pretty good.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established

I caught a nice catfish and a huge Brim (Bream...not sure what my buddy calls it). For those of you not familiar, a Bream is a type of "panfish." This thing was so big that it literally pulled my pole over my tackle box and into the water!!! We had to fish the pole out of four or five feet of water with another rod and then I pulled in the miniature goliath, lol.

Well done sir. Bet that was fun to get in.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is it really that good?
I like it. I have several memories of early morning hunting and fishing trips that involved a stop at Crackerbarrel for breakfast and 2nd breakfast. It always beats Dairy Queen. :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I get uncle hershel's breakfast with either fried or grilled catfish, 2 eggs over medium, hash brown casserole, grits and biscuits and gravy. its perfect

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love catching catfish. They usually fight a lot for their size.

Is it really that good?
I think you guys are feeding those catfish Superdrol, Catfish here never get anywhere near that size. Maybe your catfish are eating at the crackerbarrel also LOL.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like it. I have several memories of early morning hunting and fishing trips that involved a stop at Crackerbarrel for breakfast and 2nd breakfast. It always beats Dairy Queen. :)
I just pack a cooler and take food with me. I load up my gallon thermos with Gatorade too if I'm leaving straight from work, lol.

Yeah, I get uncle hershel's breakfast with either fried or grilled catfish, 2 eggs over medium, hash brown casserole, grits and biscuits and gravy. its perfect
That definitely sounds like something I would eat. Do they serve breakfast all day long?

I think you guys are feeding those catfish Superdrol, Catfish here never get anywhere near that size. Maybe your catfish are eating at the crackerbarrel also LOL.
Is it not normal to chum with Superdrol?

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just pack a cooler and take food with me. I load up my gallon thermos with Gatorade too if I'm leaving straight from work, lol.

That definitely sounds like something I would eat. Do they serve breakfast all day long?

Is it not normal to chum with Superdrol?
LOL!!!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone fishing this weekend?

funkd0c

funkd0c

Awards
  • Established
Holy sizzzat that is one big catfish what the hell do you feed those things in FL??? They never get anywhere near that size around here.:(
Obviously you don't live or fish in Oklahoma.. I've seen catfish caught on a jig line that were 115lbs+ and that was at least 15 yr ago. Ones that are 10-20lbs caught by rod and reel are commonplace.
Is it really that good?
Oh yes, Cracker barrel breakfast is THAT good! I end up eating 4 buttermilk biscuits after my meal every time I eat there.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Obviously you don't live or fish in Oklahoma.. I've seen catfish caught on a jig line that were 115lbs+ and that was at least 15 yr ago. Ones that are 10-20lbs caught by rod and reel are commonplace.

Oh yes, Cracker barrel breakfast is THAT good! I end up eating 4 buttermilk biscuits after my meal every time I eat there.
You are correct sir. I have only fished here in MA and the catfish never get anywhere near that big. Believe me I wish they did.:(

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I'm sure there are some HUGE cats down here, but I just keep happening to catch species that only grow to one to two feet. It will be nice to hook into one of those monsters that have indeterminate growth...or a nice large mouth.

Anyone fishing this weekend?
I really want to go this morning, but nobody wants to get up early. My cousin wants to go this afternoon though...not sure how that'll work out.

I'm going to head out and peruse the stores for some bait tackle instead. That's almost as fun..but not quite.

funkd0c

funkd0c

Awards
  • Established
You are correct sir. I have only fished here in MA and the catfish never get anywhere near that big. Believe me I wish they did.:(
Too bad.. Sounds like a great time for a fishing trip with friends! :)
I'm sure there are some HUGE cats down here, but I just keep happening to catch species that only grow to one to two feet. It will be nice to hook into one of those monsters that have indeterminate growth...or a nice large mouth.

I really want to go this morning, but nobody wants to get up early. My cousin wants to go this afternoon though...not sure how that'll work out.
Hahaha nice large mouth:smirk:

I hate fishing in the afternoons. Morning and evening are best, just like spring and fall are best.