Anyone else HAVE TO chew gum when they lift?

Boatcop1

Awards
  • Established
I have done this for a while. Just curious if I'm the only one? I have actually got to the gym and realized i didn't have gum, turned around, went to the store, bought gum and returned to the gym! I think i have more issues than i originaly thought! lol

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I do the same thing, I find when it's a hard lift day I chew harder and faster. Ahhh well stupid things we do...

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
i always chew gum at the gym! we are the same to the T! i have left to get gum and i have had horrible workouts without it. its very mental for me.

Boatcop1

Awards
  • Established
Oh no doubt it's 100% purely mental but hey whatever works..

Any yes, heavy days i chew the **** out of that stuff! lol

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yep. extra original gum or watermelon for me. :)

brad1224

brad1224

Awards
  • Established
yep hard to lift with out it...grind my teeth too much if i dont have gum

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
True that... It actually keeps your mouth from drying and you "thinking" your thirsty because your mouth is dry so you feel good all workout.

They used to make us chew gum for football practice for this reason :)

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I road bike for cardio and can't do it without my gum. I never got into chewing while lifting though.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow I guess I am the only one that doesnt chew gum while I lift lol. I used to chew Thermogum while lifting but stopped that because my mouth would get too try. Glad I stopped because I couldnt imagine how thirsty I would have gotten this past cycle while chewing gum. While doing deadlifts I would go get water after every set including warm up sets.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I saw this thread, and lmao. I thought it was just me. I been on a gum chewing kick for a little while now. I don't know what it is, but lately I've got to chewing while lifting. My wife asked me if something is wrong or if I'm chewing to counteract something :)

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I don't chew when I lift, but practically every other time I do! I buy gum by the gross, lol. Trident, Orbit, the kind with liquid center, you name it man, I get whatever I can. :)

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I don't chew when I lift, but practically every other time I do! I buy gum by the gross, lol. Trident, Orbit, the kind with liquid center, you name it man, I get whatever I can. :)
Wow, then I'm surprised you don't chew while you lift.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
no but i chew copenhagen when i do. its a ritual, after warm ups i throw a big fat chew in my lip then im ready

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
Does it improve your w/o, or is it just ritualistic value?
ritual. just another thing thats gonna make quitting so damned hard. ive actually gotten to the gym and left because i forgot it and had to run back home. for some reason i dont squat or dl with a chew in

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
thats pretty hardcore! i quit chewin some time ago but when i was in Iraq i would lift with a lip in and i would get on the verge of passin out. some reason i did it alot though.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
That's interesting. Tobacco could theoretically improve muscle performance while lifting, but anytime I ever tried to chew I had a tendency to feel somewhat lightheaded too. My buddies that chewed told me it was because I didn't spit the juice out, but I told them they were just lil' wussies could they couldn't handle swallowing the extra nicotine, lol. :)

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ive been chewing gum lately, because after drinking my intra vpx powershock my breath really stinks.

Hyperion

Hyperion

Awards
I think it must a psychological thing. I find that unless I have a specific playlist on my MP3 for each muscle group I work out and when I do my cardio, I feel weaker and less energetic.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
i usually do, i think i have better workouts when i chew gum

joedf

Awards
As goofy as it sounds, I remember watching Ronnie Coleman videos and he chews the hell out of some gum. I can't lift without it now.

catty66

catty66

Awards
Gum and music. Can't lift without it. This might sound stupid, but gum helps me concentrate on my lifts. It helps me stay loose and cool.

Urban Monk

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I actually enjoy chewing the new thermogum during my workouts. I always pop a piece or two in pre-wo. I usually find it best during my cardio sessions just because I feel bored, but def enjoy it during my regular weight lifting sessions also. Nutra has it on a special sale right now (the new enhanced flavor, stronger gum).

Boatcop1

Awards
  • Established
I actually enjoy chewing the new thermogum during my workouts. I always pop a piece or two in pre-wo. I usually find it best during my cardio sessions just because I feel bored, but def enjoy it during my regular weight lifting sessions also. Nutra has it on a special sale right now (the new enhanced flavor, stronger gum).
Nice I will have to check it out, Orbitz is getting old, haha

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established