Laptop stolen!!! how to track it/get it back??

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
My apartment was broken into and nothin but the most damn sentimental thing was taken.. its not about the money, just the pictures and vids that were on it!

I gave the serial number to the cops and no I didnt have a lojack on it.. any ideas how to get it back?? or at least the files..

BryanM

Awards
  • Established
You cant.....

I know it sucks but there is no way unless you run into the person holding it on the street.

From now on ALWAYS back up your data

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you have any desktop access software (such as GoToMyPC.com) ? - You can access the camera that way, otherwise...

Call them on Skype as though you were some hot chick. They may answer. Note the location and surroundings if you can. See if there is anything in the background that is noticeable.

That's your best bet. Kind of a crap-shoot, but I know of a guy that it worked for. Good luck man.

...oh, and that's all assuming there is a camera on it. :p

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
You cant.....

I know it sucks but there is no way unless you run into the person holding it on the street.

From now on ALWAYS back up your data
Yea man i was able to get most of the pictures back off of my digital camera and i had approx. half of everything backed up..

im getting the lojack installed on my new one and ill back it up more often

Do you have any desktop access software (such as GoToMyPC.com) ? - You can access the camera that way, otherwise...

Call them on Skype as though you were some hot chick. They may answer. Note the location and surroundings if you can. See if there is anything in the background that is noticeable.

That's your best bet. Kind of a crap-shoot, but I know of a guy that it worked for. Good luck man.

...oh, and that's all assuming there is a camera on it. :p
nope, no camera lol

anybody know about IP addresses? i have that..

iDShaDoW

Awards
IP addresses are leased out to you by your ISP. If he used your laptop to connect to the internet, he'd be on a different IP given to him by his so there's really no way to track the thief down based on the IP that you were using.

Only way to track down the laptop would be if you had special IP or MAC address software installed on it that would send you his ISP if he were to use it on his network at home after he stole it.

Sucks but chances of you getting the laptop back are slim to none unless you see the guy sittin out in public using your laptop like it were his.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
im headed to the local pawn tomorrow with the police report to check if its been through there.. the manager was acting dubious today and said i couldnt see the list of transactions without the police report.. i had the case number but he said he needed the paperwork wtf?.. i may be paranoid but i feel like he might lie to me and say they never had it so they dont lose money

Hyperion

Hyperion

Awards
Unfortunately, even if you were to find the a-holes that ripped you off, he/she would have wiped the hard-drive clean. It sucks man.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
any theory on tracing an open AM account?? my AM stays open on that laptop.. never really logged out, just closed the browser. Any chance??

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately, even if you were to find the a-holes that ripped you off, he/she would have wiped the hard-drive clean. It sucks man.
they may have.. but if they just deleted files there are ways to recover them. Hell, id be happy getting back an empty shell if it meant finding out who took it and knowing they arent jerking off to all my ex gfs' nude pics anymore lol

iDShaDoW

Awards
any theory on tracing an open AM account?? my AM stays open on that laptop.. never really logged out, just closed the browser. Any chance??
Hmm, that's possible but quite unlikely. He'd have to have takent he laptop to his house, connected to the internet, and opened the browser and had it restore the tabs you last viewed (assuming you closed it in a way that it would store the opened tabs at the time) plus you would've had to check te box to "remember" your login information and that feature for many sites is iffy at best lots of times.

Now, if you do get it back, even if he deleted everything, he'd have to use software to write and re-write the whole hard drive (think it's like 7 or 8 passes) to make it really hard to restore the previous data so you'd still be able to recover it most likely.

The hard part, which you already know, is recovering the actual laptop.

Hyperion

Hyperion

Awards
they may have.. but if they just deleted files there are ways to recover them. Hell, id be happy getting back an empty shell if it meant finding out who took it and knowing they arent jerking off to all my ex gfs' nude pics anymore lol
Well, if it's youe ex-gf, does it really matter? lol

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Hmm, that's possible but quite unlikely. He'd have to have takent he laptop to his house, connected to the internet, and opened the browser and had it restore the tabs you last viewed (assuming you closed it in a way that it would store the opened tabs at the time) plus you would've had to check te box to "remember" your login information and that feature for many sites is iffy at best lots of times.

Now, if you do get it back, even if he deleted everything, he'd have to use software to write and re-write the whole hard drive (think it's like 7 or 8 passes) to make it really hard to restore the previous data so you'd still be able to recover it most likely.

The hard part, which you already know, is recovering the actual laptop.
right.. im not gonna give up but im not gonna let it drive me crazy either

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Well, if it's youe ex-gf, does it really matter? lol
haha a few of em to be exact.. nah i guess not but i hate for their privacy to be breeched.

if it was me, id probably delete all the bs pics of some dude and his girls.. wouldnt interest me whatsoever. but then again, i would never steal something like a little weasil either lol

ive done everything possible with serial numbers and police reports and whatnot so i guess if it turns up it does and if not oh well. lesson learned- guarantee its something that wont happen to me again

Hyperion

Hyperion

Awards
That's why I never take nude pics of myself or any of my girls, I'd hate for them to fall into the wrong hands. An ex took a picture of me whilst coming out of the shower; I had her delete the photo in front of me right there and then.

Good thing too, the break-up 3 months later was NOT pretty! Not that I have issues with nudity personally, I'd just want to make sure it was on my own terms and knew about it without having my sisters tell me they saw it on facebook!

iDShaDoW

Awards
right.. im not gonna give up but im not gonna let it drive me crazy either
It's a long shot, but maybe one of the board administrators would be willing to look up the IPs of any connections made to the site by your username and let you know if any aren't ones that're leased out by your ISP.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
It's a long shot, but maybe one of the board administrators would be willing to look up the IPs of any connections made to the site by your username and let you know if any aren't ones that're leased out by your ISP.
thats the kinda advice i was looking for, because im not real familiar with IP's.. will give it a try. thanks brah

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
celc5 General Chat 10
AntM1564 General Chat 27
dsade Evomuse 7
R1balla General Chat 15
crazyfool405 General Chat 4