Words of wisdom from Jim Wendler - AnabolicMinds.com

Words of wisdom from Jim Wendler

1. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Words of wisdom from Jim Wendler

Read this if you want a kick in the ass.
    "I'm going to have to give you some Tough Lust here (no lube or spit). First, I need for you to re-read this article, especially this part:

"Where performance and kicking ass are more important than how you look. Where people eat to live, not live to eat. Where trucks are pushed and sleds are pulled. Where reps and weight are counted, calories are not. Where running isn't "cardio, it's part of training and if you're going to walk for your conditioning you best have something on your back or in your hands"

You admit that you are not strong enough (many of us feel this way but understand that it is an ongoing process and that THIS process is important). But please DO NOT be that guy who talks about where he holds his fat or how his legs or "obliques" are fattier than they should be. Where has our gender gone?

What I would prescribe for you is to get rid of all these silly, pathetic and disgusting notions of what you think a man should look like and start over. I'm going to give everyone a huge hint here: no one gives a **** what you look like. Now I'm not saying being a fat slob doesn't raise some eyebrows in disgust, but if you kick as much ass as possible int the weight room and conditioning field AND start OWNING the **** out of your given "sport" (you better start competing and making your training count), you will not only LOOK better but you will feel better. People are not attracted to vanity - they are attracted to confidence and passion. No one owns a room by the way they look; it's how they carry themselves.

There is so much more to this, but PLEASE don't talk about your love handles. Talk about your passions in life, talk about how your moved boulders, talk about the books you've read, talk about the world's you've changed. You have the passion for training, start making this **** count.

I know this is probably way off topic then what you wanted but I'm trying hard to get rid of all this bull**** that is plaguing SO MANY men, young men and boys. So in conclusion, I recommend this:

1. Stretch
    2. Lift
    3. Sprint

Do this all the time - no bulking, no cutting, no bull****. Just training for being a mother****er. Don't be that guy that takes shirtless photos of himself so other men can drool on them. That **** is a disgrace to every man that has done anything awesome in his life - while they were busy "doing" these shirtless 'tards were busy trying to look the part. Get off the bench and get on the field. "

If you don't know who Jim Wendler is, then you have some serious Google work to do.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation

He should stick to writing what he does best: routines and training, not what his opinion is on body composition and bodybuilding.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

I like it.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    He should stick to writing what he does best: routines and training, not what his opinion is on body composition and bodybuilding.
    He has a valid point about people being so obsessed about their "ideal," yet never being happy with where they're at. That, and people have forgotten the most important thing when it comes to training: to get into the gym and lift. Don't stare at the TV, don't text, don't chat with friends; get in there and train not only your body, but train your mind as well.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    He has a valid point about people being so obsessed about their "ideal," yet never being happy with where they're at. That, and people have forgotten the most important thing when it comes to training: to get into the gym and lift. Don't stare at the TV, don't text, don't chat with friends; get in there and train not only your body, but train your mind as well.
    I enjoyed the article, and it did have that "I want to tear up a gym now" attitude, but unfortunately, I am in bodybuilding for vain reasons. I bulk/cut to reach the image I want. But I take the vanity out of it, in a way. I do it because I want the best body possible, I want the confidence it brings, I want the pride in the accomplishment. I don't do pictures. If I am in a picture with my shirt off, I am probably at the beach. So while I like his thought process, it works much more significantly for someone who strives to be best at powerlifting.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  6. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by HereToStudy View Post
    I enjoyed the article, and it did have that "I want to tear up a gym now" attitude, but unfortunately, I am in bodybuilding for vain reasons. I bulk/cut to reach the image I want. But I take the vanity out of it, in a way. I do it because I want the best body possible, I want the confidence it brings, I want the pride in the accomplishment. I don't do pictures. If I am in a picture with my shirt off, I am probably at the beach. So while I like his thought process, it works much more significantly for someone who strives to be best at powerlifting.
    or an athlete.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

7. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns View Post
    or an athlete.
    True.
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation

There is a new school of powerlifters out now, though, which I like to think I'm a part of. We don't use powerlifting as a shield to be fat; we're athletes, and we act like athletes. We strive for strength, performance, and a balance that leads to a very nontraditional look.

People ask me all the time if I'm a bodybuilder, and some even just assume...they seem surprised when I tell them that strength is my main concern.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    There is a new school of powerlifters out now, though, which I like to think I'm a part of. We don't use powerlifting as a shield to be fat; we're athletes, and we act like athletes. We strive for strength, performance, and a balance that leads to a very nontraditional look.

People ask me all the time if I'm a bodybuilder, and some even just assume...they seem surprised when I tell them that strength is my main concern.
    You're not the target of the article. In fact, you're exactly right about the wave of PLers out there. People always complain that cardio is boring, but their form of cardio is redundant and not performance based. Now, make this into a conditioning session and you have some measurable goals to achieve.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Another gem:
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Wendler's 5/3/1
    By The Neck in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-19-2010, 03:58 AM
  2. Wendler's 5/3/1 with singles
    By Turk1976 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 09:57 AM