Mountain Biking

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
or bike aficionados in general?

I used to ride when I was younger, gave it up when I got my first car... but I'm gonna get back into it now.

Any recommendations as to bikes? Not sure I like the looks of the 29'er but haven't rode one yet.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
dont know if its the same in the States but the next years models ie 2011 come out in October here, so if the year doesnt bother you , you could get a decent 2010 model at reduce price .Look out for disc brakes, suspension at least in the front , light frame ;;;good makes, trek , specialized, claude butler , marin

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have a specialized and the only thing I don't like about it is the heavy frame. It really makes you work hard to cover any ground! Matt has a Giant and I can ride it alot better.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'm looking to keep it around $500 would be nice, at least for my first bike. Checking out the Trek hardtail models.

maybe a specialized stumpjumper if i can find one thats older / cheaper

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I remember correctly Rosie is a huge biking person... ask her.

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
I got a Kona Cindercone for £500. Nice light strong frame, 27 speed deore chainset, hayes stroker ryde hydraulic disc brakes, rockshox dart3 front suspension.

Lovely bike! It's been everywhere with me, even competed in the British XC championships (Didn't get very far - but blame the rider for that not the bike!)

Swapped the wheels for some Hope ones for added strength and reduced weight but you don't need to - the Cindercone is a very capable bike off the shelf.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Stick with a hard tail. Most anything with a suspension under $1200 is going to have pretty crap components anyways.

I still ride on my Trek 930 Single Track, fun sport and great excersize!

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
Doesnt Haro make really nice mountain bikes?? I just have a "Giant" myself, damn rain here I can never go out riding

Shane0Mac

Awards
I used to ride when I was younger, gave it up when I got my first car.
yep, guilty of that as well. ive got a giant rincon. it was $660 australian, just a good solid bike, doesnt have that cheap feel to it which is great.

anything by trek or giant would be a good move imo

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice guys, think I'm gonna go with a hardtail trek or specialized, the full suspension looks cool, but I have a feeling it will be more of a hassle in the long run.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice guys, think I'm gonna go with a hardtail trek or specialized, the full suspension looks cool, but I have a feeling it will be more of a hassle in the long run.
youve got me thinking about buying a bike now-been saying it for the last 2 years. i used to cycle a lot.However what with one thing and another , it gets put to one side and we dont always get the good weather over here -yes i admit im a fair weather cyclist .Anyway perhaps when this years bikes are in the sales i might just have a look.

id be interested to hear what you buy , so i can see if its available over here.

thanks

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
i just bought a trek 820 and i love it. it's my first real mountain bike and im in college so i couldn't go for a really expensive one. but it gets the job done and then some. it's steel framed so pretty heavy but very solid and a comfortable ride.