Smartphones..which one are you using

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I seems nowadays there is almost no way around this. I have been using the same POS Nokia for god knows how long. I have been looking around and no one is really selling a "middle of the road" phone anymore..it's either smartphone or POS phone with no features.

Someone point me in the right direction.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What network are you on? Are you committed to said network?

Never had an iPhone, but I have a Moto Droid and honestly can't imagine functioning without it. Yes, I R A dork. :D

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
just upgraded to the htc evo 4hehe, from the touch pro

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I am rolling with AT&T,but am willing to switch to whomever.

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
**** if your gettingthe iphone just unlock it and use whoever

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it's all about what you consider a smart phone, i used to consider something like what i have a smart phone but it gets dumped on these days, if you want something that will call, txt, picture, and some internet, i have the nokia e71x, it's built like a tank and takes tons of drops, it doesn't have the features like an iphone or samsung galaxy but it does what i need it to do

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With all I've been reading about the iPhone vs. the Droid platforms, it seems that Droid may be making a really good go at it. The Froyo (Android 2.2) release was pretty big, and the upgrade to my Droid was pretty significant in terms of performance. It's moving in on the iPhone territory, and I think it's just a matter of time, especially with the glitches in the iphone4 or whatever it's called.

Alteast in my area, Verizon service is superior to all others. And with them getting iPhone soon, there's an option!

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The LG Droid from Verizon cannot be beat by any other smart phone..

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just upgraded to the htc evo 4hehe, from the touch pro
same here, and I despise it, and can't wait for the nect version of windows 7 phones

The LG Droid from Verizon cannot be beat by any other smart phone..
Not even close, the droid basically sucks, you have to install apps for every little tiny thing, battery life sucks worse than any other smartphone, and the apps are mostly buggy because there are so many different hardware platforms and the developers just test against their own phone.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
same here, and I despise it, and can't wait for the nect version of windows 7 phones

Not even close, the droid basically sucks, you have to install apps for every little tiny thing, battery life sucks worse than any other smartphone, and the apps are mostly buggy because there are so many different hardware platforms and the developers just test against their own phone.
SO.. It is a new phone.. I have use quite a few smart phones and droid is my favorite.. You a droid hater haha:bigok:

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LG droid? Or Moto Droid?

Yes, it does suck battery, but if run right, it doesn't! My wife's Eris REALLY suck battery, and she uses it half as much as I use mine, runs 1/4 the apps. I get over a day out of mine with consistent use while running a few apps in the background all day long. TaskKiller and you're fine.

As far as the apps are concerned, don't pick stupid ones and you're fine. Mine are all from well-known developers and none have caused me any trouble.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I am an Apple fan,but...i am not going to pay AT&T's "a la carte" pricing options for the phone.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
im using Iphone4 and love it. it's my first smartphone so i don't have experience with any others but i have had ABSOLUTELY NO glitches with the ATT/iphone network. Maybe 3 total dropped calls in the past month but i don't have a problem with bridging the antennas or anything. one complaint about it is that its surface is so smooth (kinda good) that if i set it on my lap it will slide right off really easily.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LG droid? Or Moto Droid?

Yes, it does suck battery, but if run right, it doesn't! My wife's Eris REALLY suck battery, and she uses it half as much as I use mine, runs 1/4 the apps. I get over a day out of mine with consistent use while running a few apps in the background all day long. TaskKiller and you're fine.

As far as the apps are concerned, don't pick stupid ones and you're fine. Mine are all from well-known developers and none have caused me any trouble.
Meant moto droid:bigok:

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established

why the hate for the evo? now im concerned, should i have gotten the samsung epic?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree. Messed around with my friends new droid and its not as smooth. Touchscreen doesn't function as well...not a fan of the OS and apps suck compared to the Iphone.

Other than that, its great! :D

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I work with cell phones and get to try many of them for months before they're released to market, smart phones are generally grouped by OS, it used to be that windows mobile phones were considered good phones but they have fallen off the list, before WinMo there was symbian devices Nokia models, today there's only 2 flavors to chose from Android or iOS.

Apple iPhone was and still is a game changer in this space, their phones (3GS & 4) are the best devices compared to anything else hands down, there are so many apps to chose from its mind boggling but the thing that sets the iPhone apart from all droid devices is the battery life, most if not all droid devices I've used will have a dead battery over night, droid devices over all usage is 4~5 hours at best, iPhone does not have this problem, I've gone all day w/o charging

Droid is making good progress right now b/c many OEM are competing for market share, right now HTC makes the best devices evo4 is great but battery life will limit its use. Motorola Droid X is a very good device as well the screen is just amazing and with an 8 megapixel cam you no longer need another camera or video cam. Look up the stats on apps comparison Apple is 5x greater, the down side to the iPhone is its coverage (AT&T) and hopefully they will roll out a VZW device shortly

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I actually was looking into the EVO,the thing looks really slick...hella' options also. I am Denver based,and Sprint doesn't look like it has great coverage out here...i don't want my phone "roaming".

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
why the hate for the evo? now im concerned, should i have gotten the samsung epic?
eh its just the android platform seems amateur compared to windows mobile. Its nice that they made a "app centric" phone, but I want a user centric phone. I had to download an app to allow myself to set a ringtone from any file in any directory instead of just files in the media folder. I had to download an app to do this, do that. I have to sync my outlook calender now with my google calendar by a 3rd party app so that whats in outlook matches the phone. I had to download an app to do 10 or 15 things that the windows mobile phone just did by default.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Agree. Messed around with my friends new droid and its not as smooth. Touchscreen doesn't function as well...not a fan of the OS and apps suck compared to the Iphone.

Other than that, its great! :D
You my good sir are just another hater :rasp:

I is so smooth!!!!

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
I actually was looking into the EVO,the thing looks really slick...hella' options also. I am Denver based,and Sprint doesn't look like it has great coverage out here...i don't want my phone "roaming".
you dont pay for roaming unless you have so completely lame plan, the data everything from sprint is cool cuz you dont get charged for **** but the 99.99 a mo

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
I have a Blackberry Torch and like it a lot. When I need to type a professional email fast I can use the keyboard. When sending txt etc I use on screen keyboard

For speed and accuracy I don’t see the touch screen every competing with a real keyboard

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
Im rocking a nexus one the official phone of...

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a Blackberry Torch and like it a lot. When I need to type a professional email fast I can use the keyboard. When sending txt etc I use on screen keyboard

For speed and accuracy I don’t see the touch screen every competing with a real keyboard
This.

Unfortunately for me in respect to smart phones, I don't have fingers of a girly man. So a tangible keyboard is a must! :D

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
iPhone owner checking in. Greatest phone I've owned....ever.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've got both! ...

This.

Unfortunately for me in respect to smart phones, I don't have fingers of a girly man. So a tangible keyboard is a must! :D
... But since I don't have girly hands either, I use the on-screen job. :D The physical keyboard on the Droid is good for typing in names and such that are not in the user dictionary. But with the on-screen one, I can add them in with a simple long press so I don't have to worry about it auto-incorrecting them! Eventhough I have big hands, I always use the onscreen one(s). Wish it was Swype capable, but I can live without it.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
iphone guy here, mines kinda glitchy now but ive had it a while n dropped it a bunch ; /

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a big fan of Apple products...but I have an iPhone 3GS.
I've owned a Nokia and Motorola phone before, and this is the 1st time I'd consider my next phone to be from the same company. I'll keep my eyes on Android, but I'm quite pleased with my choice so far.

Ironically, I thought I'd hate not having a physical keyboard, but now I prefer them without. In fact, physical keyboards look old and outdated to me now. I would prefer physical FWD/BACK/PLAY buttons for the iPod fn, so I can change sings while the phone us in my pocket.

As lame as it sounds, another iPhone benefit I found is that more females seem to have them than others. A girl asked me "do u have Bump?" - which is an app to exchange contact info in 1 hit. It's just an easy convo starter. It's the least "geeky" of the smartphones. Hey - I'm a single guy that needs all the help I can get :p

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I'm still rocking a Treo windows 755.

I've stuck with it because it is great for business but now that my business's order notifications are running through a different client, I cannot see my customers orders due to a lack of java integration. Therefore, I am forced to change it and will very soon. I'll get the Droid X next.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Nothing comes close to my I phone 4 g. And apple is good about getting updated out to fix glitches and improve products rather than requiring you to purchase a new one. Over 4 billion apps. And about the keyboard try turning an I phone on the side for a landscaped key board. A gorilla could use it.

Boatcop1

Awards
  • Established
I'm still rocking a Treo windows 755.

I've stuck with it because it is great for business but now that my business's order notifications are running through a different client, I cannot see my customers orders due to a lack of java integration. Therefore, I am forced to change it and will very soon. I'll get the Droid X next.
Had a Palm Pro for work. I put it under my car tire and ran it over! Biggest hunk of **** i ever had.

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I currently use the iphone 3gs, however i wont be upgrading to the iphone4. As much as i enjoy the UI of the phone, id rather have one thats open, a la android. I mean, how long did it take to even get copy and paste without a JB? I hear the new HTC Desire HD thats coming out is going to be slick, ill probably get that.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
Its like i mentioned earlier, if battery life has no meaning to you get an Android but make sure you have plenty of chargers, you'll need them! Lot's of ppl complain that iphone has no background processing but thats the key for longer lasting battery life.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nothing comes close to my I phone 4 g. And apple is good about getting updated out to fix glitches and improve products rather than requiring you to purchase a new one. Over 4 billion apps. And about the keyboard try turning an I phone on the side for a landscaped key board. A gorilla could use it.
There is no such thing as an IPhone 4G.. only Android is running 4G/WiMAX. I have tried the landscape keyboard... man a TS keyboard blows.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Fair. To correct myself I phone g4. The only thing I could see people havin a problem with is not having the feeling of pushing a physical button.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
There is no such thing as an IPhone 4G.. only Android is running 4G/WiMAX. I have tried the landscape keyboard... man a TS keyboard blows.
Yup, the only carrier with 4G network is Sprint and they have not rolled out coverage to every city so if you want 4G speeds check for local coverage first, the EVO4 is the first device to support 4G network its a good device but the damn battery isn't worth a sh!t

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Had a Palm Pro for work. I put it under my car tire and ran it over! Biggest hunk of **** i ever had.
Never had the pro, but I had the series Treo, 655, 700, 755 ( i don't really remember the exact series) phones since about 4 years ago...I could care less about a phone. If they wouldn't have integrated the java scripts and disabled my access to my incoming orders and services emails, I wouldn't even change it until it fell apart...

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Honestly the most promising is the Android because of it's openly developed operating system, that OS is going to slaughter the others. Apple has it's following, and always will. I am always going to be a business user and could give a damn less about little apps. BB is going to be the business tier for a long time to come, because when it comes to business communications they are still prime, and not one other phone touches their security model.

Android = Powerful with more room to develop
IPhone = Trendy, The nickelback of the phone world
BB = Business use

pool_shark

pool_shark

Awards
I'm not loyal to any device so my opinions are completely objective. I initially stayed away from Android because it didn't have voice dial over bluetooth, that has changed.
Since Windows Mobile isn't back to full strength yet I decided to try Droid because my Omnia and I weren't getting along any more.

I have the Droid 2. It is not as functional out of the box as my Windows Mobile Omnia was.
I can't sync it with outlook calendar, notes, and tasks.
The default email app doesn't delete emails from the server using pop3.
The voice command app doesn't read my incoming text messages.
The preinstalled quick office doesn't edit documents (couldn't delete rows). Had to buy documents to go.
The default sms app doesn't turn the screen on. (installed handcent sms free)

The live wallpaper is cool (not useful though). The free voice turn-by-turn navigation is great.
The speech to text is great.
Moving between screens is very smooth.
Battery life, I don't understand why people complain. It's a smartphone, it can do tons of tasks at once, if you use any smartphone to its potential the battery life will suck, just charge it more frequently, problem solved.

There are a lot of apps, useful, practical, just for fun, non functional.
So far handcent sms is fantastic. It allows you to set sounds and visual notifications per contact.
Vcast song ID, just like shazam.
Dolphin HD browser allows you to see full websites instead of just the mobile versions.
Youtube ripper allows you to save youtube videos.

If Google would allow for syncing with outlook (not exchange) and they enhanced the email app, I would be very happy with the Droid 2. Right now I have to settle for satisfied.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I finally switched to the iphone 4, love it..no issues at all, I would not go back to verizon was way to much money and mins I didnt use where gone.....

TC

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
Up to now I had focused on the battery life deficiency of Android devices compared to iPhone devices which cant be ignored, but today I was talking with a friend about his new droid device and touched on the security differences between the two platforms.

Apple will test and scrutinize every app that runs on their app store, the reason you care about that is that they have denied many apps that seem intrusive to users data (I worked for a company that competes with BB and they had its app denied) and we had to correct it.

Google on the other hand b/c they're trying to catch they up dont give a sh!t what gets installed on your phone case in point, recently there were over 1k apps removed (mostly screen savers) b/c they were uploading user info to some sites.

Bottom line, if security matters to you, iPhone is the most secured device.

As to BB, they're in big trouble (it shows in their stock price) and cant compete with either Android or iPhone, there's other options that are more cost effective to get your secured corp email.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As to BB, they're in big trouble (it shows in their stock price) and cant compete with either Android or iPhone, there's other options that are more cost effective to get your secured corp email.
I agree, BB will never compete on the scale Android and IPhone will. But there is no more secured device as a BB.. Iphone and Android are all children in the security game compared to BB... every function in a BB is firewalled and can be shut down at will by a BB administrator from afar. They us AES 256+ encryption. When comes to security, BB is miles ahead of the others, but that is why they are only going to have the stronghold in the corporate world, especially large corporations that bring in red teams, every last red team will tell you to get rid of corporate Iphones and Androids for the BB.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got to play with a windows mobile 7 phone this weekend (i'm a software developer and so are many of my friends, so one has a prototype for an app his company is doing, he's a microsoft MVP) and its pretty cool. a sort of fusion of the Zune interface with some of the pieces and parts of how the android works.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
iPhone 4 here....

Considering I work for Apple as a supervisor at the call Applecare Call center, it just makes sense.

plus.. it's a sweet phone... :)

pool_shark

pool_shark

Awards
I got to play with a windows mobile 7 phone this weekend (i'm a software developer and so are many of my friends, so one has a prototype for an app his company is doing, he's a microsoft MVP) and its pretty cool. a sort of fusion of the Zune interface with some of the pieces and parts of how the android works.
Laptop magazine says the new windows phones will be very nice. Too bad they weren't out when my Omnia started acting up.