Are company sponsored forums full of bull ?

  1. New Member
    mmacrazy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    490
    Rep Power
    1151
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    35.98%

    Are company sponsored forums full of bull ?


    Now I am not saying that a lot of time there can be some reallly good information about the products they sell but I have found a few things that make me very uncomfortable.

    1. You ask a question. They say sure take this product and while youre on it feel free to add a,b,c to it because combined they will make you HUGE and kim kardashian will be naked in your bed when you get home.

    2. ask a question about a competitions product and it gets deleted or ignored or they say it's total crap and their product is better because when you use it kim kardashian will be naked in your bed. Oh and dont forget to add product a,b,c

    3. You say, "hi i am totally new to working out and am severly overweight will heart problems" They say great job on pushing and here's some stuff that will probably raise your blood pressure and dont forget to add in a,b,c

    Just seems to me like its a real easy way to shill products more. This is not an attack on any particular forum cause like I said there are some decent ones out there, it just sucks when you want to find decent information and instead get spoon fed bull or are told about crap that doesnt do a damn thing.

    This isn't exclusive to online either though. Some vitamin stores are even worse ! The people are clueless or just plain bitchy.
    Thankfully it seems so far that the people here on AM dont have any specialt interest in mind and really are just giving good simple to understand info on about what works, what doesn't, and why.

  2. Advanced Member
    ShadowFury's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    412
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    16.71%

    Most of the people(mods and such) on those sites are either people that are trying to sell their products or are diehard fans that swear by said company solely because it's what they like the most(says nothing of their progress with it).

    There are a few honest people on company boards, but they definitely aren't too common.

    Which is the main reason I love AM. These guys(for the most part) have no ties(and keep honest logs) to companies.

    Lastly, supplements are only supplements. If one guy is putting 40% into his workout/diet with the product, he's gonna get very little/nothing out of it. If another guy is putting 110% into his workout/diet, he's going to progress a lot farther(and usually give credit to said product).
  3. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387266
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    13.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I agree with the general nature of your argument. I would never make a consumer choice based on what a rep tells me, or based on the results of a sponsored trial run. I've yet to see a sponsored trial run, where the tester actually says "this stuff didn't work".
    •   
       

  4. AtlasEnduring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    62.24%

    Never trust a vitamin store, period lol...

    As for online forums, AM is pretty nice. But alas, no forum is free from what you speak of. Reps are supposed to rep their product. They are the pimps and the products their hoes. Their respective companies wont keep sending them free goodies as compensation or some pay if that particular forum is not generating company interest.

    And sponsors wont pay for a site that is not netting them decent increases in sales.

    I have seen reps here raise up other companies products as well as their own, which is rare. only seen this on 1 other board. While AM is not perfect by anymeans, who is?

    But I agree.
  5. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387266
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    13.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlasEnduring View Post
    Never trust a vitamin store, period lol...

    As for online forums, AM is pretty nice. But alas, no forum is free from what you speak of. Reps are supposed to rep their product. They are the pimps and the products their hoes. Their respective companies wont keep sending them free goodies as compensation or some pay if that particular forum is not generating company interest.

    And sponsors wont pay for a site that is not netting them decent increases in sales.

    I have seen reps here raise up other companies products as well as their own, which is rare. only seen this on 1 other board. While AM is not perfect by anymeans, who is?

    But I agree.
    I agree with you. I can't condemn a company for promoting their product line. But this industry is so unique, in that I would guess that 95% of the products out there are comprised of fillers/low dosed proprietary blends rendering them ineffective/useless. After years of going through these types of products, you tend to become jaded. I stick to a few basic products now and gave up my habit of "beta" testing products.
  6. New Member
    AmyFetzer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    78
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    82.8%

    not all the ones on ********************** seem to be right I love that page but some are like amazon grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr dont get me started on them haha
  7. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387266
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    13.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AmyFetzer View Post
    not all the ones on ********************** seem to be right I love that page but some are like amazon grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr dont get me started on them haha
    That's why I'm starting my own supplement line, you slap the word "hardcore" on any product and people will buy it. If you slapped the word "hardcore" on bottled water, people will think it's the second coming of Jack3d.
  8. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,454
    Rep Power
    1369329
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    28.52%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    hardcore water, i'd buy that
  9. Senior Member
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    739
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    0.49%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    How much is it? How should I dose it?
  10. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    804
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    12%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mmacrazy View Post
    Now I am not saying that a lot of time there can be some reallly good information about the products they sell but I have found a few things that make me very uncomfortable.

    1. You ask a question. They say sure take this product and while youre on it feel free to add a,b,c to it because combined they will make you HUGE and kim kardashian will be naked in your bed when you get home.

    2. ask a question about a competitions product and it gets deleted or ignored or they say it's total crap and their product is better because when you use it kim kardashian will be naked in your bed. Oh and dont forget to add product a,b,c

    3. You say, "hi i am totally new to working out and am severly overweight will heart problems" They say great job on pushing and here's some stuff that will probably raise your blood pressure and dont forget to add in a,b,c

    Just seems to me like its a real easy way to shill products more. This is not an attack on any particular forum cause like I said there are some decent ones out there, it just sucks when you want to find decent information and instead get spoon fed bull or are told about crap that doesnt do a damn thing.

    This isn't exclusive to online either though. Some vitamin stores are even worse ! The people are clueless or just plain bitchy.
    Thankfully it seems so far that the people here on AM dont have any specialt interest in mind and really are just giving good simple to understand info on about what works, what doesn't, and why.
    Yep. Basically any time someone stands to gain something from providing biased info, they will do so to some extent. This is just human nature in a capitalist culture.

    Of course there are some 'honest' people that give you the straight goods. Nice, but I wonder how successful they are as salespeople. Otherwise I always try to figure out if/what they have to gain and/or ask them a question to which I already know they answer. If they blow smoke up my ass then I know that they are full of it.
  11. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387266
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    13.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    How much is it? How should I dose it?
    The dosing protocol is as follows;

    1) 3 capfuls for breakfast
    2) 3 more capfuls before bed

    I recommend that you do a 8 week on, 2 week off protocol. Since my bottled water is so hardcore, due to the patented extraction process (my sink), it's very potent, oh and it's also underground, because it sounds good and may drive you to purchase more of it.
  12. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlasEnduring View Post
    Never trust a vitamin store, period lol...

    As for online forums, AM is pretty nice. But alas, no forum is free from what you speak of. Reps are supposed to rep their product. They are the pimps and the products their hoes. Their respective companies wont keep sending them free goodies as compensation or some pay if that particular forum is not generating company interest.

    And sponsors wont pay for a site that is not netting them decent increases in sales.

    I have seen reps here raise up other companies products as well as their own, which is rare. only seen this on 1 other board. While AM is not perfect by anymeans, who is?

    But I agree.
    This is true for most companies, but not need to build muscle! When we were asked to become reps, we were told to be totally honest about our products and speak our mind..

    If the company is solid and the products are solid, the only reason there should be a bad review is if the individual testin is a "non responder" or they dont know how to train or eat..
  13. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387266
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    13.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    This is true for most companies, but not need to build muscle! When we were asked to become reps, we were told to be totally honest about outr products and speak our mind..

    If the company is solid and the products are solid, the only reason there should be a bad review is if the individual testin is a "non responder" or they dont know how to train or eat..
    Just because my post workout meal consists of cheesecake, doesn't mean I don't know how to eat properly. I mean it has cheese in it, so it must be healthy.
  14. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    Just because my post workout meal consists of cheesecake, doesn't mean I don't know how to eat properly. I mean it has cheese in it, so it must be healthy.
    Who said you had to eat healthy to build muscle?

    And cheescake with a protein shake would be an awesome postworkout meal IMO..
  15. Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    7,483
    Rep Power
    1057411
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    58.04%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    Just because my post workout meal consists of cheesecake, doesn't mean I don't know how to eat properly. I mean it has cheese in it, so it must be healthy.
    Strong post workout insulin burst... great if you are bulking.
    The Historic PES Legend
  16. New Member
    BlondBombshel's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  153 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    86
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    65.56%

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    This is true for most companies, but not need to build muscle! When we were asked to become reps, we were told to be totally honest about outr products and speak our mind..

    If the company is solid and the products are solid, the only reason there should be a bad review is if the individual testin is a "non responder" or they dont know how to train or eat..
    If the reps are stating their honest opinions and not just pushing products than, then I agree.Also site that has no mention of anything other than what they are selling always raises a red flag to me. If you look on **** there are always people recommending things that the site doesnt profit from.
  17. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387266
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    13.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Strong post workout insulin burst... great if you are bulking.
    Thank you. Unfortunately I'm insulin resistant, and eating cheesecake would turn me into the movie "Weekend at Bernie's", for now I'm sticking with Torrent Zero. But come winter time it's cheesecake and Ben and Jerry's Half-Baked!
  18. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387266
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    13.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    Who said you had to eat healthy to build muscle?

    And cheescake with a protein shake would be an awesome postworkout meal IMO..
    Richard Simmons...
  19. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    Richard Simmons...
    LMAO, thats called steroids, weird genetics and a bad training program xD

    edit: NM, thinking of carrot top lol
  20. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387266
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    13.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BlondBombshel View Post
    If the reps are stating their honest opinions and not just pushing products than, then I agree.Also site that has no mention of anything other than what they are selling always raises a red flag to me. If you look on **** there are always people recommending things that the site doesnt profit from.
    I think being jaded is a natural by-product of the industry, based on past consumer experiences.

    It's only been a recent occurrence where some companies have opted to properly dose their products, rather than create pixie dust formulas. From one batch to the next, of any product, you can never tell what you're getting. That's not to say that there aren't companies out there creating effective products, because there are a handful and I tend to stick to their product lines and never really try anything else, unless the feedback is overwhelmingly positive.
  21. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387266
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    13.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    LMAO, thats called steroids, weird genetics and a bad training program xD

    edit: NM, thinking of carrot top lol
    How dare you sir (using my Harrison Ford voice). Carrot Top is to comedy, what Daniel Baldwin is to movies.
  22. Advanced Member
    The_Reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    37
    Posts
    892
    Rep Power
    553
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    12.58%

    The many reasons above are why I only call AM my home. "Other" forums feel more like car dealerships than a place to chat and get useful information.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How to Become a Supplement Company Sponsored Athlete
    By AmericnMuscle in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 09:04 PM
  2. Company Promotions and Company News
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 08:11 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2003, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in