smoking weed increase metabolism?

mshams

Awards
how does weed make u hungry? does it boost ur metabolism and i heard it increases ur heart rate by about 30-40 beats more for 3-4 hours. what do u guys think?

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
I can't comment because I don't smoke weed. But the increase in metabolism would be offset with the constant snacking, wouldn't it?

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I can't say it works for my neighbor..the guy smokes 24/7,and is a complete lard-a$$.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I think it might boost metabolism like caffeine. Most people arnt gonna drink more coffee and lose weight, and the same is true with weed. It won't boost metabolism enough to see much of a difference. I do find that it helps workouts though. As far as the snacking thing goes, if a person is just gonna drop his diet every time he gets stoned, he is a pu s s y. I highly reccomend that you check out the thread Marijuana and Bodybuilding.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cannabis increases heart-rate, so yes, it would boost metabolism. I used to have snacking issues, but haven't in a long time. I do like sipping on something though. I'm content with chamomile tea or something. I don't need to eat.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
here is a read that might interest the op

Am Rev Respir Dis. 1978 Nov;118(5):885-91.

The effects of smoked marijuana on metabolism and respiratory control.
Zwillich CW, Doekel R, Hammill S, Weil JV.

Abstract
Marijuana is a sedative, and most sedatives are respiratory depressants. However, the ventilatory effects of marijuana are unknown. In a placebo-controlled study of 8 subjects, smoking marijuana significantly increased ventilation and hypercapnic ventilatory response. Peak effects occurred 15 min after smoking, when ventilation increased from 7.4 +/- 0.39 (mean +/- SE) to 10.4 +/- 1.41 liter per min (P less than 0.01), whereas hypercapnic ventilatory response, measured as the slope of the relationship of ventilation to CO2, increased from 2.7 +/- 0.28 to 5.4 +/- 1.02 liter per min per mm Hg (P less than 0.05). Blood pH, PCO2, and ventilatory response to hypoxia were unchanged. Changes in ventilation usually parallel changes in metabolic rate. Smoked marijuana caused an increase in metabolic rate that also peaked after 15 min. Pretreatment with propranolol completely abolished the increase in hypercapnic ventilatory response, but did not affect the other changes. Thus, smoked marijuana had stimulatory effects on metabolic rate, ventilation, and the ventilatory response to CO2. The latter appears to be mediated by the beta sympathetic nervous system.

Colesy

Awards
Whenever i do it i want to eat like crazy so the extra metabolism boast isnt that effective.