How many of you guys lie about your....

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
...lifts. I read about guys that are 5'10 185 and benching 315 for 6-7 reps and are 20ys. I don't know, I mean when I played ball many moons ago alot of guys were this size and could not push up 315 once. If they guy was a powerlifter then yeah i could see it. But a guy thats in college lifting weights...unless he has very good strength gentics. What do you think?

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Didn't think I would get any answers :)

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I think a lot of people lie about their poundages on the boards....why, I have no idea...

****, I'm on my first AAS cycle at the moment weighing in at 245lbs. with somewhat visible abs and I can't even rep out 8 good reps with 315....

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Either a lot of guys lie, or I am the weakest guy on the planet :confused: . ****, I'll be the first to admit that I'm weak. My numbers suck. But what matters is that I am doing something about it. Some guys are just naturally stronger than others. A friend of mine benched 185 lbs the very first time he ever went into a gym at age 17. I couldn't even pick up the barbell.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Its probably a little of both. I remember in high school their was a few football players that could do 300lbs and one that could do 400lbs. The kid that could do 400lbs looked like he was 30 yrs old though lol. I also knew a kid that was 15, 165 lbs and benched 250lbs.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Yeah thats kinda of freakish. Most guys I take with a grain of salt. "Yeah I have been lifting for one year and can bench 380lbs" Man I can count how many 300lb+ benchers I have seen on both my hands. Reminds me of a funny story. I was 15yrs old and playing HS football. And in our school we had a strength test that would include a bench press, a universal bench press. And the coachs always took the higher number. In may case 275lbs. Now I thought I was hot s@*t and told my mom. She inturn told my grandmother, who then told my older cousin who was in town. My cousin was on leave from the Army and decided to check out this awsome feat of strength. Bare in mind that my cousin was a jr. state powerlifting champ in HS. So he gets four of his friends together and picks me up to go to the gym. HIs four friends were HUGE. The smallest being 245lbs and the biggest 280lbs and the center for Ohio State! We procced over to Golds Gym for our "workout". My cousin tells me to warmup and and set the bar up for 135lbs. I am like "no sweat", even though I had never done any freeweights, except curls. I'll spare my self any more embaressment by saying I was able to do two set of five with 135lbs. Thats it! :eek: Man they ragged me the rest of the night.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I can squat 405 for 15+
I can bench 315 for 1 - maybe.
im weird

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I used to squat 335 for 8 but that was before the back surgery.. and my bench is going back up at 225 for 8... it has been really hard to get motivated after my surgery.. but I am working on it again...

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah thats kinda of freakish. Most guys I take with a grain of salt. "Yeah I have been lifting for one year and can bench 380lbs" Man I can count how many 300lb+ benchers I have seen on both my hands. Reminds me of a funny story. I was 15yrs old and playing HS football. And in our school we had a strength test that would include a bench press, a universal bench press. And the coachs always took the higher number. In may case 275lbs. Now I thought I was hot s@*t and told my mom. She inturn told my grandmother, who then told my older cousin who was in town. My cousin was on leave from the Army and decided to check out this awsome feat of strength. Bare in mind that my cousin was a jr. state powerlifting champ in HS. So he gets four of his friends together and picks me up to go to the gym. HIs four friends were HUGE. The smallest being 245lbs and the biggest 280lbs and the center for Ohio State! We procced over to Golds Gym for our "workout". My cousin tells me to warmup and and set the bar up for 135lbs. I am like "no sweat", even though I had never done any freeweights, except curls. I'll spare my self any more embaressment by saying I was able to do two set of five with 135lbs. Thats it! :eek: Man they ragged me the rest of the night.
That reminds me...most guys just don't realize that using a smith machine really takes a workload off of yourself....when I first started, before I invested in my home gym, there was this one dude that swore by smith-squats. He said there wasn't and simply couldn't be that much of a difference in workload when compared to a regular power cage...I talked him in to doing a set with my poundages and in the cage.....the dude only got up to 6 reps....barely even went parallel and proceeded to hurl all over the damn floor...LOL....I wish I could have video-taped that bro...what a clown...but ever since then I talk to him once in a while, he doesn't use any kind of Smith's anymore....LOL...

You wouldn't think by just looking at the two cages that it would be that much of a difference, but little things like that can and will cause more growth to your frame...

Even now, I concentrate more on mind-muscle connection more than mere poundages with ultra slow negatives and positives....and have had the best growth yet....

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Smith machines are dangerous too!! Terrible on the shoulders if you're not careful and not much movement for leg workouts. I trained on one (Home gym) for 3 years. Good for beginners though

size

Awards
  • Established
It is common and I do not understand why. I hoenstly do not care at all what someone else lifts. Weightlifting and bodybuilding is a competition with oneself for the most part. I think as long as you are trying to lift and exercise then you should be proud.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11496

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Come on dude, you didn't believe I could bench 500 lbs. :p

BTW, many guys lift with shitty ass form in order to add to their bench so it may give some a false impression about their true strength.

toastynoodles

Board Supporter
Awards
Man i can't bench **** its real sad!!
stats
5 11
age 24
wt 208
bench 180 now thats sad,but on my part only been hiting the weights hard since late feb 04 been getting the weight down was 235 its hard to gain stenght well losing weight.
But the few month bench went up a litte from 165-180 that seems slow to me.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I can truthfully get 315 on the barbell flatbench for 10, most I ever got on bench was 365 when I weighed over 215.. If only those who saw were posting on here, I'd have proof.. Then again, I can always go to KMAC's gym, there's proof.. ;)

I don't even max out anymore, waste of time and hypertrophy..

dickwootton

Awards
  • Established
I try not too if i do i normally catch myself and say wait thats not true...I am a pretty week dude though.
Dick

BigPJ

Awards
Come on dude, you didn't believe I could bench 500 lbs. :p

BTW, many guys lift with shitty ass form in order to add to their bench so it may give some a false impression about their true strength.
Keep in mind that quite a few people bench and squat in a way that would be illegal in a powerlifting competition, e.g. bouncing the bar. I have no problem with people who lift this way unless they brag about how much they bench/squat, in which case it really pisses me off.

I haven't seen all that many people honestly bench above 300.

I've done 315 for 1, while slightly bulked up.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure a high percentage of people of lie. Some may just embelish the truth by reporting a weight that a spotter assisted them with or was done on a smith machine. I see guys all the time doing smith bench with 275, that I'm sure could not lift 225 on a real bench.

I can rep 315 with relative ease, but I have no interest in how much I can max. The last time I max benched I was 15 years old & about 150 lbs, lifted 220. I outgrew caring about that a long time ago.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Size: Sorry man, didn't mean to jack your thread :eek: .

I am not a great bencher, I think the most I ever did was 275lbs for about 7 and I weighed around 220lbs with a decent amount of fat. My shoulders are pretty strong I got 130 BDs for about 5 when I was 18-19. But for some reason I am not a great bencher. If you saw me you would think I was a natural bencher: stumpy arms, strong delts and tris, and a barrel chest. So maybe it my tech. or my weak lats. Last time I trained with weights I was doing 205 for 6 or so. But I had only been lifting for about a month. But now i would rather get my dip up to BW/with 150 tied to my waist for a good set then worry about how much I can bench.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Size: Sorry man, didn't mean to jack your thread :eek: .

I am not a great bencher, I think the most I ever did was 275lbs for about 7 and I weighed around 220lbs with a decent amount of fat. My shoulders are pretty strong I got 130 BDs for about 5 when I was 18-19. But for some reason I am not a great bencher. If you saw me you would think I was a natural bencher: stumpy arms, strong delts and tris, and a barrel chest. So maybe it my tech. or my weak lats. Last time I trained with weights I was doing 205 for 6 or so. But I had only been lifting for about a month. But now i would rather get my dip up to BW/with 150 tied to my waist for a good set then worry about how much I can bench.
We sound like we have the same problems. My body gains size more than strength at an abnormal pace. Unfortunately, I care about strength more than shear mass. After awhile, you don't care to get much bigger unless its all solid muscle and doesn't slow you down much...

I'd like to get close to 300lbs someday, but not at the expense of feeling like **** cuz I'm so fat and holding soo much water. And with that in mind, the only real thing to look forward to is strength gains...all the while still being able to wipe my ass...LOL...

For me, I gotta be WAY over maintenance to gain strength along with size...

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I think most people lie about their max lifts on boards, it's not common (in my experience) to often see people in gyms doing more than 225 (or esp 315) on the big three lifts. I am just happy that I'm finally doing well, but it took awhile to get there. Bench 365, squat 405, dead 425 and I'm happy with that....although more would be nice, lol :D

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
The most I ever got was 435 bench and got 405 for 5 after that. I weighted 310 at the time though. Any way I made the mistake of going heavy for two long. I got a bad lift when I was doing incline bp and totally F'd my shoulder up. It took about a year to recover. It's pretty much back to normal now. The problem now is my lower back is killing me. So I am not doing any deadlifts or heavy squats. I tried to do them semi heavy the over day and I am really week. I squatted 365 for 5 and with the deads I couldn't get in the groove so I just worked out with 225.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
My bench has always been a weakness, but Ive never lied about it online. I have added a rep or two (the assited reps from the spotter), but never upped the poundage.

My best was 315x3 and thats before I tore a chest tendon. That's all healed up now and Im comming back strong (like 6 months later!!) Last week I did 270 x 5.

Squat has always been funny with me, I know I can do more than I do, but Id rather push myself with high reps than heavy poundages. I hurt myself pretty bad when I was young and stupid (squatting WAY too much weight on the smith machine, came up, went to rack the weight and missed the pins. I let the power out of my legs and crumpled to the ground like a freaking accordion!). Im at 315x10 right now and I know I can do more, but I move up slow. I've never maxed on squats.

Deadlifts have always been good for me - Right now I can pull 455x1. Best ever was 500x1. Normally Ill work out with 355x10.

I use a powerlifter type form for all of the big three - Ill tell you my knees never felt so good since I started doing westside-type squats!

You guys that bench over 400 amaze me, someday I hope Ill put up that kind of iron!!

BV

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I think most people lie about their max lifts on boards, it's not common (in my experience) to often see people in gyms doing more than 225 (or esp 315) on the big three lifts. I am just happy that I'm finally doing well, but it took awhile to get there. Bench 365, squat 405, dead 425 and I'm happy with that....although more would be nice, lol :D

I'm at squat 405+, dead 425, bench 315ish :( !

LM600

Awards
I'm at squat 405+, dead 425, bench 315ish :( !
Um, I think it's easy to lie on a board when no one actually knows you, you could post a pic but how would everyone know that's you in the pic?

I'm not the strongest, leanest, biggest, most muscular person in the world or in my gym but I like to think I lift correctly with good movement and to me that's more important than posting nearly half a ton lifts!

Let me put it in context, I weigh about 215lbs or just over 15 stones, I'm 6'3" with about 20% BF - so not lean but not too fat either...I dumbell bench press 60kg or about half my bodyweight - not a huge amount but with good form and sets of four times eight reps it's enough for me!

Also, I may be wrong here but surely lifting more than you physically weigh cannot be good for you?

Just my 2p worth...:D

LM

jboogie

Awards
Also, I may be wrong here but surely lifting more than you physically weigh cannot be good for you?

Just my 2p worth...:D

LM
Huh? Well, I did 2 work sets benching 185 yesterday, and I weigh 188 as of this morning. Guess I'd better stop doing bench press, lest I lift more than I weigh. Actually, my deadlifts are 245 and my squat is 235 working sets, so I guess the damage is already done.

My question is how many people really bother maxing out regularly? I've never tried it at all, but it sounds like something that dramatically increases the chance of injury and for what? Brag about how much money you make instead. If you can't do at least 6 reps in good form you have too much weight on the bar.

bigmark1972

Board Supporter
Awards
I'm in the middle of a comeback, but currently benching 335. Best ever was 375x3 my goal is 8 plates. I used to be able to deadlift 585 for reps, I need to get back into that but my current wo partner is a wuss.

Bench is not my best exercise, but I really don't care about the weights just the results.

Sorry, my friend you are wrong :)

LM600

Awards
I'm in the middle of a comeback, but currently benching 335. Best ever was 375x3 my goal is 8 plates. I used to be able to deadlift 585 for reps, I need to get back into that but my current wo partner is a wuss.

Bench is not my best exercise, but I really don't care about the weights just the results.

Sorry, my friend you are wrong :)
OK Guys,

Shot down in flames...hehehehe!

My intentions were not to offend or call anyone a liar, it's just something that I've been thinking about recently!

Cheers Lads!

LM

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah i stopped caring about bench after i realized it took more shoulder than chest to perform it proficiently.
I mainly do incline DBP now, but just for kicks i did a set of BP the other day while my buddy was doing it, i was on the squat rack right next to him and when he was done his set i decided to check out how much switching to DB helped..

well my previous best was something like 155x8 or so (i suck at bench) but after doing IDBP and dips for a couple of months i pushed out a set of 175x6 no problem (no warmup either), probably could have gone up to 195 or so with good form

BP is overrated IMO, i like deads and squats better, ive only been training seriously for like 8 months though, and doing deads and squats seriously for maybe 2 or 3, only doing 225-245 for sets as of now.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I've always had a strong bench but my squat sucks ass. I remember my junior year in high school I was benching 325 but squating about 245. Nowadays, it's a little better but still not quite right. Last time I did flat bench was a month ago, got 375 for 5. And squatting 415 for 6. Not a very impressive squat when you consider my bench. :eek: Might be from all the damn running though.

Chuck

Awards
The most I could ever do was 315 for five GOOD reps. And believe it or not, I have maxed 405 on a few occassions but for some reason I have lost that kinda strength, I simply can't do it anymore. I didn't get that strong while on a PH/steroid cycle, I had been all natural at the time. I don't know what the hell happened but all I can do now is 275 for 8. Currently my most appealing lift is hammer curls- I can do 80s for five and 45s for 4 in a drop set. BTW I am 5'9" 196 at about 11-12% body fat.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Those are some nice stats man - I dont know what to say about the strength loss- eating enough carbs?

BP is overrated IMO, i like deads and squats better, ive only been training seriously for like 8 months though, and doing deads and squats seriously for maybe 2 or 3, only doing 225-245 for sets as of now
I agree that people put too much emphasis on the bench press. As an excercise though, I dont think it should be ignored. The BB flat bench recruits a lot of muscles in the upper body, abdomen, back, and even legs when done correctly. I think that's why its such a great mass builder. It definately dosent isolate the pecs, but then the squat dosen't isolate the quads either... ;)

BV

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Even worse is people that lie about their stats and post pics. WTF? Some people claim over 20 inch arms post pics and are no where near that. Or they will claim low body fat and not even have abs. I don't get how these people think people are buying their story. I guess some people are real dilusional.lol

BigTEX

BigTEX

Awards
I've always had a strong bench but my squat sucks ass. I remember my junior year in high school I was benching 325 but squating about 245. Nowadays, it's a little better but still not quite right. Last time I did flat bench was a month ago, got 375 for 5. And squatting 415 for 6. Not a very impressive squat when you consider my bench. :eek: Might be from all the damn running though.
My squat is less than yours.....I have a great bench, but squat is terrible.
Last Friday did 425 max on bench with 1 second pause at bottom and no cheating. I do 315 x 6-8 reps on squats and can barely do 405 for max.

Chuck

Awards
I can't squat $hit. OK fine, I don't squat lol
For what it's worth I can leg press 720 for a good set of 12 though.

lancelot

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i can't lift heavy worth **** anymore compared to 6-7years ago when i was 25 pounds lighter. i'm alot bigger now in terms of muscle and ripped than i ever was, but i can't lift heavy worth **** for the way i look. i see these puny ass guys out lifting me when i'm way bigger and nicer physique. it must be the youth or something.

bigmark1972

Board Supporter
Awards
Deadlift is the true test of a mans strength, has to be coz it's my best exercise:)

I am gonna post up pix sometime soon when I cut a bit more. I'm in the middle of a comeback and I will post before and after when I an damn good and ready:rolleyes:
Should be a fairly hard 275 by mid July. 300 has been my lifes goal made it to 287 before a "legal" issue got in the way. I'm 6'4, I swear my arms will need to be well over 20" before they look "right".

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Deadlift is the true test of a mans strength, has to be coz it's my best exercise

I am gonna post up pix sometime soon when I cut a bit more. I'm in the middle of a comeback and I will post before and after when I an damn good and ready
Should be a fairly hard 275 by mid July. 300 has been my lifes goal made it to 287 before a "legal" issue got in the way. I'm 6'4, I swear my arms will need to be well over 20" before they look "right".
Those are some sick figures bro! What's your max deadlift?

BV

elvisaintdead

Awards
It's just the way it is. People brag.

It goes from my parents are better then yours to my parents house is bigger then yours to my school is better then yours. And then my college is better and then I make more money then you, I drive a better car then you, My car is faster then your car. MY KIDS are better then your kids, my grandkids are better then your kids and blah blah blah blah.

Some people don't brag, but many do. And like many people, they embellish the story.

"we caught a 20 pound fish at the lake(it really was a 5 pound fish) and so on."

It's human nature. Somebody embellishing a story doesn't bother me.

"I can bench 315 pounds" when they can only bench 285 doesn't really bother me. As long as they aren't the kind of person who brags and harps and brags and blah blah.

The problem i see are the people who dont just embellish, but flat out lie, about whatever. ANd even when they know they are caught, they continue to lie more.

I always hated people who most everybody knew lied, but they continued to think everybody was an idiot or something and made up even more bullcrap.

And this is regarding everything, not just fitness and bodybuilding.

"I can lift 350" when the fact is they can't lift 150. Thats not embellishing, thats flat out being an idiot.

I dont know, i guess some people assume the world falls for their BS.

PC1

Another interesting discussion..............

In terms of lying about lifts, it is pretty foolish. A sign of insecurity. I only bench 545, squatt 670 and deadlift 765 so I lhave a lot of room for improvement.....

yeah relax guys, lying my ass off there ;)

It's funny how some guys lift a lot of weight but aren't that muscular. Others just the opposite. Part of it has to do with tendon insertion points, how we're all built differently, technique, etc.

I've had 2 bad tendon injuries now and so don't focus at all on single rep maxes of ANYTHING. I like to see my lifts go up like everyone else does, but I don't do anything less than 5-6 reps on any exercises any more.

I will also add that it can make a big difference WHERE one trains. Not because of the equipment per se, but if you train in a competetive gym with guys who are serious lifters, cycling AS; AND that's what you decide to get into, you'll end up getting to know them in time, and will pick up on their routines, diets, cycles, etc.

When I was younger and hadn't trained in a serious gym, I couldn't imagine myself benching over 300 lbs. The gym I ended up training in for many years had several people who competed internationally, and many nationally and at the State level. It was very common to see guys benching 300, 400, and some even 500 lbs and more.

Once you see people actually doing it, it gives you some confidence that, hey, if I really apply myself here, I could do this too.

You never know until you try.

NE Way, I take what people say they lift around here at face value, because I've seen so many other guys lift that and more. And most of you guys in here who are regulars have enough posts going that you can just tell after awhile, that you're people of integrity.

Be well.

bigmark1972

Board Supporter
Awards
Those are some sick figures bro! What's your max deadlift?
I have pulled over 600 in the past but I could not do that now. My squat and bench are really bad right now, but like I said I am in the middle of a comeback.
I am focusing on the squat right now because I need to bring it up badly, deads have always been easy for me.
I am gonna post up some fresh pics soon, I have one of my before comeback pics on my yahoo profile. I don't want it on here coz I look like a bitch but I'll get a current one up soon and this one I will make my avatar :thumbsup:

dieseldude

Awards
I konw a guy right now that benches 405 and he is a dink, 5'9" and 180 soaking wet.
He barely gets it but he does it, seen it on several occasions, wins money all the time betting fools in the gym.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I benched 1000 once, no spotter, gym was empty. I got it pretty easily, though. :think:

I'm one of the horrible benchers like was mentioned. Look like I should push a building (T-rex arms, barrel chest, big shoulders), but my bench sucks. And it hurts to do. I think my best is 385x2, and that was at a bodyweight of around 285 pounds. And, like most, I don't even do it anymore. I stick to DB declines, and it feels a hell of a lot better.

I'm with bigmark-we should be measured by our deadlifts!!