I need some help, Marine GUYS!!

BB Ambitious

Awards
So if anyone has been in The Marines, can they help me with what to expect and what I should ask about at my interview? They want me to come down August 17th and I'm pretty nervous about it. I want to finish college first, so I have two more years but then I'm planning on joining.

By the way, This is an interview to be a Marine Officer, not recruit. So yeah I'm pretty nervous and I'm not sure really what to expect or to ask about. Anyhelp would be GREAT!

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
I'm also interested what they have to say.

I plan on finishing my degree and going either Marine or Army. Undecided at this point.

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
I've never been in the Marines but interviews are pretty similar no matter, which company you want to join. They want to make sure that you are right for the job, the job is right for you and you will be a 'good fit' in the company i.e. not be an a$$hole and upset everyone.

There is a short video at http://officer.marines.com/marine/making_marine_officers/officer_selection_officer

The best advice you can get is to be who you are and be honest about why you want to be a Marine officer. Joining the military isn't like joining a civilian company where, if you don't like it, you can look for another job and leave a month or two later.

I'm assuming they know that you have another 2 years of college so this will more than likely just be a chat about your current situation (studies, personal life, etc.), your reasons for being interested in joining the military rather than a civilian company, etc.

For questions to ask them you should think about things like the interview process, some advice on the qualities that are need to be a Marine officer, anything you can do to improve your chances in being accepted, etc.

The link to the vid I posted seems to place quite a high emphasis on leadership so if you have any experience of organising activities then these are likely to be highly regarded. If not then maybe you can join a club or volunteer somewhere that will help build these skills.

I would say what they are looking for now is a solid interest in being a Marine officer. They know that 2 years is a long time and there is a good chance that your goals will change during that time i.e. you meet a girl and don't want to move away, you get offered a good position in a civilian company, etc.

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There is a major difference between interviewing at a corporate employer and for the Armed Services: corporate employers DO NOT want you (unless your last name is Kennedy or Bush), while the armed forces WANT you. The military system is set up this way: the recruiters receive a bonus for every new enrollee whether or not the enrollees complete basic training.

The interview is merely a formality and unless you start picking your nose and eating your boogers there's little you can do to mess it up.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is a major difference between interviewing at a corporate employer and for the Armed Services: corporate employers DO NOT want you (unless your last name is Kennedy or Bush), while the armed forces WANT you. The military system is set up this way: the recruiters receive a bonus for every new enrollee whether or not the enrollees complete basic training.

The interview is merely a formality and unless you start picking your nose and eating your boogers there's little you can do to mess it up.
Agreed.. Just go in there confident, be yourself, sound intelligent and you will be fine. This is the military, not like your trying to work for microsoft.